An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 11

Am I what? David exclaimed.

Mountbatten looked amused. Ignoring David's surprised reply, he stated, "So your father is Senator Ogilvy." David discerned that no reply was necessary. "Your grandfather was a Senator before him. So why aren't you following in the family's footsteps?"

David immediately thought of the arguments he had had with his father over his entrance into WestPoint, when it became clear that David had no intention of going into politics. "Let's say that I have found a different way of serving my country."

Mountbatten looked at David appraisingly. "Do you know much of your family history David?"

"I know that it seems to be in my family's blood for fathers and sons to argue about everything." David had meant it as a joke, but he was surprised to see Mountbatten nodding in agreement.

"If I'm not mistaken your family has been in the United States from its inception."

"Yes, that's so" replied David cautiously, wondering where this conversation might be headed.

"Your great-great grandfather, what do you know of him?"

Trying hard to remember his family history, all he could remember was that ancestor who founded the family fortune, had come from Scotland. "I think he came from Scotland — but that's all I can tell you."

Mountbatten smiled, "I can tell you a lot more. Your ancestor was Iain Ogilvy; his father was Baron Westford, Sir James Ogilvy. Iain had a run in with British law and was sent in disgrace to the colonies. By the time his father had sorted the mess out, Iain had established himself in Virginia and wouldn't come back. It broke his father's heart." Mountbatten seemed more amused than saddened, "He died a broken man. Leaving no other heirs, and Iain not willing to claim his inheritance, the barony of Westford reverted to crown land."

"Are you telling me that I have a baron in my family tree?"

"No" replied Mountbatten, "I'm telling you that your grandfather is the Baron of Westford, and that makes you Sir David Ogilvy!"

From behind him, David heard a familiar voice. "Lord Mountbatten, if you will allow me to steal away the Colonel for just a moment."

Mountbatten nodded graciously. "Of course Miss." Looking at David he cautioned, "Now don't go too far David, we have much to discuss."

David turned to see Julia/Mavis. "Er Mavis how are you?"

She laughed, "Here you can call me Julia. Now what did Mountbottom have to say to you?"

"Mountbottom?" David enquired. It certainly didn't too respectful.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.