An American War Hero
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

On Wednesday morning, David left the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square and walked through the streets of inner London to "The Citadel" the heart of the British fight to break the tightening grip of the Comintern UBoats.

Even though the last air raid had been on Monday, London still burned. The smell reminded him of his family farm back in Virginia on a crisp Autumn morning, when he would help his father with burning off. Fortunately, the sky was overcast and there was a slight drizzle — but David could see towers of smoke from several points of the compass.

As he came to Picadilly he found the road roped off, with an Army lorry with red mudguards parked nearby — a bomb had landed. Nobody seemed concerned. He asked the constable nearby what had happened. "The Bomb disposal lads have gotten very cautious sir." Was the reply. "It could be a delayed action job or a dud. These Commies they can't put together a decent bomb, not like the Jerries could, so its probably a dud."

Cutting through St James Park David reached the mall. To his right, the remains of Buckingham Palace, to his immediate left Admiralty Arch and visible through it "The Citadel" or better known to those who worked in her "The Gingerbread". David couldn't see the connection. It was a large brown concrete box — but gingerbread? He shook his head and walked through the arch and on into the building. This was the operational heart of the Royal Navy. Somewhere below him officers were juggling with markers and charts and sent fleets to sea or tracked UBoats as they converged on some convoy.

As he made his way inside the entrance a querulous voice asked "And what is your business young man?" David turned and explained his business to the ancient messenger sitting in a small both. "Ah, yes, you'd be wanting Captain Watts. Now if you'd just fill out this form, I'll get someone to come and collect you."

While David wrote in the details, the messenger spoke into a telephone. By the time he had finished and returned the form a slightly younger messenger arrived "Take this gentleman to Captain Watts in USIO, Room 103." David followed the elderly gent down a corridor and through thick steel and concrete doors into the heart of the Citidal.

Captain Henry Watts looked as if he had been lifted straight of the screen from some Bob Hope movie and put behind a desk. Two ribbons on his chest showed that though he looked a lot like Bob Hope, he had put in charge of the AISO to do a proper job, not because the Admiralty were trying to find him employment. Next to the DSO was the ribbon of the DSC. And David knew from his sources that Captain Henry Watts DSO, DSC was one of the most successful destroyer commanders of the British Navy.

"So" enthused Watts as vigorously shook David's hand, "I get to meet a bona fide US war hero."

David objected, "Sir, I was only doing my..."

"Bullshit!" Watts interrupted. "Let me see..." he turned and picked up a file, "Colonel David Ogilvy, awarded the Medal of Honor twice. Wounded five times in action Seen service in both the first and second European theatres, and in the Pacific and Japan." Watts lifted his head from the file and stared at David, "You certainly got around." David shifted awkwardly. "To continue, various honours from British, Free French and Dutch governments. Some stars, bronze and silver." He laughed, "When you have to dress formally, you must need a bread board on your jacket to keep them all from drooping!"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.