An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 7

The Generator room was next to the Mess. But there was no connecting doorway. David made his way out into the main hallway and negotiating a number of turns found himself at the entrance to what looked more like a machine shop than a Generator room. Three large diesel turbines were purring against a side wall. Against the other wall were various benches and tools and other maintenance equipment. A figure in a grey boiler suit stood with their back to him, examining one of the turbines.

"Excuse me" he called. Realizing his voice was swallowed up in the pervasive sounds of the engines; he walked over and tapped the engineer on the shoulder. With a start, the figure turned around. He recognized Liz, and smiled. "Sorry about that. I hope I didn't startle you too much."

She returned his smile. Wiping her face, she left a smear of oily grease on her cheek. She replied. "I wondered how long it would take you to find me!" "I hope you don't think me too forward" he responded.

Her smile grew wider. Her face which had a charm before grew even more beautiful. "No, No! I find it rather refreshing. While my friends and I joined the ATS to serve our country, we had hoped to meet some interesting people. I was designated a driver, and had to learn what makes car engines tick. And look at me now! Twenty-one years old and stuck down here in the Dungeon, with just some boring old men and no-one interesting to talk to."

"You seemed to be getting along well with the other girls" David queried. "True" said Liz, "but it is soooooo boring down here, you have no idea!" She frowned a little, "I guess my mother and father are happy to see me here — at least I'm out of harm's way. In fact I think my father pulled some strings to get me here!" She sighed, "I really miss the chance to entertain. I love putting on a party for my friends."

As they talked they had moved away from the generators toward the back of the room. "You know, Liz, your friend Mavis said I shouldn't talk to you, that you were too good for me." "Goodness me!" she laughed, "Really? She can be such a maiden aunt. I think that she will die a spinster — I wonder if she will ever loosen up and have some fun."

After they had both laughed, Liz began to look serious. "The war is going badly for Britain, isn't it?" She asked, looking solemn. "Yes, it is" David replied. If the Russians keep up the pressure — even with supplies from your Allies and the US, I think the war can only end badly." "So why don't you Yanks do something about it. It can only be a matter of time before they start reinforcing their allies in South America. Soon the US will have no friends left." Believe me" said David hotly, "If it had been up to me we would never have withdrawn from France in '44. And there are many others who feel the same!" He stopped speaking realizing he was again letting his feelings run away with him.

"So what can a mechanic in this gloomy hole do for you, Colonel?" With only a little hesitation, Julia's warning pushed decisively to the back of his thoughts, "I was wondering if you ever have some time off, and whether we might climb out of this hole and find a nightclub and spend some time forgetting about the war."

"That's very kind of you David, and I'd love to say yes..." "But..." David added. "But" she continued, "I am here for a long stretch of time." She stopped, and David could see she was thinking about something — maybe weighing something up. "I wonder," she spoke out loud. "I wonder whether you might like to attend a dinner with me. It's my father's birthday and while it is just supposed to be a family event, I am sure we can make room for you." David could tell from her very delightful frown that maybe they could not make room for him. "I'd love to come!" He said, "And don't worry about your parents, I promise, I will be on my best behaviour."

As he wondered where to take the conversation next, the room shook. "Ooh, that was a close one," gasped Liz. A second explosion moments later seemed to make the floor sway. David and Liz held on to each other. A third bomb in the string must have landed directly above the bunker, because David and Liz were thrown violently around the room. The last thing that David heard was Liz screaming, the last thing he felt and saw was the generator into which he crashed.

Darkness, and a high pitched ringing.

"David?"

"David? Please God, let him be alive."

David opened his eyes. The ringing didn't stop, and the darkness was absolute.

He felt a hand touch his face. It move from his temple past his eyes to his mouth,

"David — please tell me you are alright!" sobbed Liz. "I'm OK girl, but I can't see." He did a mental audit of his body. He felt that apart from his throbbing head, the ringing in his ears ... and the fact that he couldn't see, he was in pretty good shape. Maybe a broken rib, breathing hurt, and some cuts and bruises, he was OK.

"Liz. Are you OK?" "I'm,,,, I'm fine. I think I might have cut my face. There was a lot of blood but I've put a towel round it. It dark because the lights have gone out. All the generators have shut down. Some sort of emergency lighting is supposed to go on, I think. But it hasn't." The ringing in his ears was starting to decrease in pitch. David shook his head and with Liz's help stood up.

"Do you think you could get the generator for the lights going again Liz?" "I, I guess so," she replied doubtfully. "If I had a light I could give it a go." "I guess there's no torches in here are there?" asked David as he searched his pockets for the silver lighter given to him by General MacArthur after he had help put the lid on a scandal that could have seen the General hounded by the press.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.