An American War Hero - Cover

An American War Hero

Copyright© 2009 by itsdodge

Chapter 5

David's reflections about his first encounter with Churchill were interrupted by the flickering of the overhead lighting. He remember he had to get to breakfast. Making his way out of the door, he fell in with a number of others walking towards what he hoped and guessed was the mess. There seemed a wide range of bureaucrats and military personnel. All seemed rather pallid under the wan lighting. David wondered how many of them got to see the light of day.

The overall feeling was very cheerful. Although that meant nothing. David remembered one tommy he'd talked to in Cherbourg a few days before his departure from France — both legs shot off below the knees. He'd asked for a smoke. What had he said... "no use moaning cap'n. At least me wife wont step on me toes when we's dancin'". The British were hard to figure out. The worse things got the more resilient they seemed.

Finally the crowd spread out into a large room smelling of tea and toast. Waiting his turn in the queue, David searched the crowded room for his contact. Spotting her with a group of secretaries, he got his toast, porridge and tea and moved over to their table. At the head was Ruth Ive, Churchill's private secretary.

"Ladies, would there be room at your table for a lost GI?" The women looked at him and smiled "en mass". There was a flurry of movement and a space was made in between two rather predatory looking typists. "Girls" lectured Ruth, "meet Colonel David Ogilvy. For a Yank he looks pretty good — but watch yourself, remember the rules — no fraternising with the enemy — oops I mean men" she giggled. There was a titter of laughter around the table. David was very aware that the women on his right and left were moving inexorably closer. In fact any closer and they would be technically on his lap.

"Please, ladies, you can call me David." David had never found it hard to talk to women, or felt uncomfortable around them — but the level of interest he was arousing was making him feel very uncomfortable. Those at the table introduced themselves. Soon enough, the introductions got to the one he had braved coming to the table to meet. "Good morning Colonel, I mean David, my name's Mavis, and this is my best friend Liz." She motioned in an off-hand way to the girl who was sitting opposite him. She smiled, blushed and looked at him from under her lowered lids. David was struck with her beauty. And wondered if there would be time for some fraternising sometime — preferably with just the two of them.

Mavis spoke again. "Colonel, there was a message for you from your ambassador. Could you come along to the secretarial pool sometime and pick it up. Just ask for me." "Thanks Mavis. After Breakfast?" She smiled and nodded. "Fine" he said, "I'll come looking for you."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.