Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around
Chapter 15: Greetings from Paradise

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

"Well gal, I see you're back." Brin's father says to Brin with no fanfare or anything. "At least you brought some women folk to help out." And with that he turns and walks back into the house where he bellows at his wife to come out and see to us.

Brin gives us an apologetic look, once his has left. Brin's brothers, after hearing their father's call of company, come tumbling out of the house. Her brothers on the other hand don't say anything once they see us. They just follow us with greasy, hungry eyes. Catherine and Diana are not bothered by them, but their stares have Alys so unnerved, she clutches my arm and ducks her head. She is not ready for this kind of scrutiny. I give them all an icy stare in return.

Brin waves the boys actions aside and says to us. "Come in and meet my Ma. She'll be glad y'all came." We follow Brin in, making sure to stick close together.

The interior of the farm house is neat as pin, but shabby. Old wall paper that is pealing on the edges go the ceiling. The wood floor looks scuffed and unpolished. The windows have curtains over the boarded up missing glass, trying to give the house a homey feel to it; only to miss that impression by the lack of furnishings except for a few old crates and a very tattered couch.

Brin, leads us directly to her kitchen, where she knows her mother spends most of her time. Her mother turns out to be a big woman. Strong bones and wide hips but she has soft eyes, that seem to be in world of her own. Her face lights up on seeing her daughter. It is good to know at least one person is happy to see Brin.

"Oh god!" She exclaims as she see Brin. "I did pray that you would be safe." She engulfs Brin in a tight hug. "Girl you are nothing but skin and bones."

Brin just smiles through her tears. "Oh mama. I am home now. Don't you worry none."

Diana gives slight cough and Brin's mother looks up. "Guests!" Mother looks us over. "Now aren't you a sight to behold." She sounds faintly shocked but the smile she gives us is one of pure welcome.

"How do you ma'am?" Catherine holds out her hand to shake Mother's.

"Woo wee." One of the brothers says, as they stride into the kitchen. "Calling her a ma'am, ain't you something."

"I wasn't addressing you, boy." Catherine glares at him.

"Billy Ray, you behave, these fine ladies are our guests." Their mother chides them. "I'm Emma, and you might be?" She takes Catherine's hand and gives her a quick squeeze.

"We are the Kindred." I break in before things can progress any farther, and push back my hood so Emma can see just what she is dealing with.

"Kin huh?" Another boy speaks up. "And what about that hair, do you need to be kindred to get that hair." His words are all slurred together, like he is slightly drunk first thing in the morning.

I am suddenly struck by the thought, that these young men are at an emotional development of, say, 12 year old boys. We are not likely to get any intelligent conversation out of them. And they will not let us forget they are in the room. I close my eyes and ask for calm.

I look over at Catherine, "Cath, can I please do something completely reprehensible and show off like, to make them stop?" I plead with her.

She says, after some internal debate. "No, you had better not."

"As you wish, you are in charge." I curl my fingers tighter about Alys and hug her closer to me.

"Boys don't make me tell you twice, you behave!" Emma chides them again.

"I am Catherine. A knight Protector for the kin." She bows to Emma.

"I am Diana. A knight Protector for the kin." Diana gives her the same.

"Hi, I am Chronos, the god of time." I say brightly.

Diana burst into laughter. Catherine sigh's and shakes her head.

"She daft?" One of the boys asks.

"No, she just thinks she is funny. " Catherine answers for me in a dry tone.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.