Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around
Chapter 13: Hard line

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

After a good night's sleep, in real beds, the girls seem to be feeling much better. There are no more tears and they are happy to run around following Nev, as she insists on dragging them around to meet everyone. Catherine says she will keep an eye on them, as they troop out. Diana says she is going to have a look at the farm animals. With everyone running off in different directions I am free to quiz Nev's father, Howle.

Howle, I want to know what odd things have been happening around here. I ask as a follow him around on what he called his routine chores.

Well I don't know, I mean you ladies are odd. He laughs at that. I say nothing and roll my eyes.

I guess we are, but last night you said there were men with guns making the rounds. And they were not Brutes, Right? I ask.

Nope they ain't Brutes, damn them smelly hides. Howle sneers at the memory. Na these fellers was slick. All pretty uniforms and acting like they owned the land or something.

But they did not hurt you? I quiz so more.

Nope, like we told you last night we ain't got nothing, Howle flashes me a humorless grin. Until you showed up we didn't even have no girls. They didn't like that. He hurruphs.

They didn't? I wonder aloud. What else can you remember. I ask as I turn my gaze inward. What are they up to? I wonder to myself.

Well we told them our troubles, about the Brutes and all. They said they was going to take care of it for us. He stops, thinks hard for a moment and says. They seemed to think we would be grateful to them and all. After that, well they up and left. That was a few months ago.

Did They say who they were? I ask, it would be nice to know who I was dealing with.

Nope, like I said they seemed to think we knows them already. Howle says and shakes his head ruefully. I did think it odd at the time.

I can understand that. I nod my head in sympathy.

I leave Howle after that and search out some of the other cousins that have come back from travels resently as Mother Liss mentioned to me, when I was watching her make breakfast. I hunt around and ask after them, until I have talked to everyone, I ask If they have had anything like the clouds and the Wyrms, anything. They all give me the same answer. No.

The Homesteaders don't know anything about the acid clouds but they have some run-ins with a few of the Wryms. And no one knows if they are aging early. Not much for me to go on, but at least I can narrow down why the Compound is under attack. They have the most people barring a major city. They have books and weapons stockpiled and no loyalty to any government.

Along with those questions I intersperses question about other groups in hopes of finding more about Brin and Alys' families. Brin is still very reluctant to say anything. She seems to think something bad would happen if she went home. Oh well, one breakthrough at a time. I think to myself and go to watch the afternoon festivities.

While I have been questioning everyone, the Protectors are asked to give a demonstration of their skills, by the home defense group. This is met with amusement by Diana and Catherine. Diana does her quick draw and shows how to use the quarterstaff. The Lost Boys cheer and jeer the women until Catherine starts to wrestle the boys to the ground, four out of five times.

I stay to watch as she puts down all comers. It is very enlightening.

In the middle of all this, Clade shows up and sits down next to me. Well honey ain't you a hard one to pin down. He says, in what I assume is meant to be a clever innuendo about Catherine's skill.

I am here now. I will go soon. There is no being in just one state. I answer back.

Uh?

I roll my eyes and walk away. I don't need his kind of help right now, I have been trying to get Brin's attention all afternoon and she is being difficult. She is hiding something about her family but she will not say what.

Wait! Clade comes after me. What do you mean. No one state thing? He asks as he hustle's after me. Why don't we go some place, and you can explain it to me.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.