Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around
Chapter 8: Trail Ways

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

"Well, that is mighty helpful." Catherine says in a snippy tone as she faces off with me. With another inward sigh, I realize she is back to snapping at me. I shake my head in an attempt to shake away her feelings as they slide over me.

"What I mean is," I give her a sharp look that stops her from cutting me off. "You could go, on your own. Maybe you will be stealthy enough to not get caught. But you are up against somethings that you do not understand. And will you be able to hold out against them, there would be a three day wait before any help or rescue would arrive." I try to be sensible. Catherine's face goes red as I outline her plan. "Then we would be worrying about you, and we would be down a protector as we travel."

"I haven't forgotten that." She growls at me and whips her hair out of her face. "I just think we need to find out who they are?"

"I think we know who they are Catherine." I drop my voice down to a whisper. "We need to have the rest of the Protectors to come in and handle this, without civilians in the way." I look pointedly at the sleeping forms around us.

"You think they are there for the long haul?" Catherine says in a calmer tone, for once she looks thoughtful as she glances at the sleeping girls.

I nod my head. "At least for the time being. They too need information."

"I am Not happy about this, I don't like you. I really don't like the way you push us around. I just wish you weren't right all the time." Catherine finally gets all of her building anger out with one last breath. "We'll restart our search in the morning." She sinks down to sit on the rock.

"You two get some rest." I tell the Protectors gently. "I am good for another couple of hours."

They both agree. Besides I don't want to sleep and have to talk with anymore spirits who are looking out for me.


I scan back over our trail, with the moonlight to help, I have an easy time of it. There is nothing following us. No Scanners, I am terribly curious as to who or what they are. If Catherine had not made such a fuss about going back, I would have slipped away and gone for a look. But now I have laid down the law of our travels. I too must obey.

I settle in by the girls for the rest of the night.

Day breaks to more gray skies hiding the sun and giving us a promise of rain. If rain should happen today, I don't think the girls will be able to go very far. They were exhausted last night, we all were. I think to myself. And with these gloomy thoughts our charges start to wake up.

Alys is the first to wake up.

"Are we safe?" She asks as she looks around trying to peer in all directions at once.

"We are safe for now." I say to comfort her.

"I was so afraid, how come I am always scared?" She glances away from me with embarrassed eyes.

"We are all afraid. Alys, the trick is to not let it stop you." As more pearls of wisdom fall from my lips, I am beginning to feel like the sage master that I always accused Vashe of being.

"Can we have a fire?" She asks as she shivers in her cloak.

"How small can you make it?" I squint my eyes at a small imaginary fire in front of me.

She nods her head as she thinks about it. "I can do that. Real small." Alys then sets about making a small fire. Maybe there will be some tea in our future.

The Protectors, Catherine and Diana, come awake at the same time. From hearing our conversation and because Alys is none to quiet as she gathers the necessary wood. She hums and sings a few words as she works. She seems to find comfort in her music. I take this a very good sign.

"Anything?" Catherine asks in a yawn, as she stretches and rubs her back. Sleeping on this rock must have been painful.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.