Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around - Cover

Chronos Chronicles 3: Journey Around

Copyright© 2009 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 3

In my dreams my old lover Palto comes to me. He is whole and undamaged. His pale red skin shining with an inner light. He kneels beside my little corner of firelight.

Oh Eyes, what have you gotten yourself into. He laughs down at me.

Next thing I know, I am naked on the bed and his hands gently massages my back.

Mmm. that feel wonderful, don't stop. I sigh into his touch, missing him as much now as my first day here.

You are walking into a ticking time bomb. Enemies to front, enemies to back. You could not have made it any worse than with your choice of lovers. He hand hits a particularly sensitive spot. I groan.

What do you mean? I have been in tough spots before. I mean, by the universe I was Vash'de Nar's apprentice for almost 4 years. And everybody hated him. I try to rise in protest only to have Palto push me back down with his hands.

And he protected you like a baby nera deer. No one would touch you. Palto, changes his technique. My back is almost pounded by his hands thumping on me.

That can't be true. I went all over the place on errands, I was his heir. I stutter out as my breath is pushed out.

And you were surrounded by how many guards? Plus the Insurrection Faction knew you to be one of them, so they were not going to make a move either. He lets up on the pounding and kisses my neck. I don't get the same shivers from him that I do from Nimrod, but it comforts me nonetheless. You were untouchable.

And now? I ask.

And now your have none of that. You just have what the universe has gifted you with in the first place. His kisses change from a soft pecks to more serious lavishing attention to my neck.

At least they don't hate me and fear me, these people just think I am quirky. I squeak out as his mouth moves up to my earlobe.

What of the unseen? he whispers low in my ear.

We'll find them. They can't stay hidden with all this activity going on. I turn over to try and take Palto's mouth in mine but he laughs and pulls away.

Not this time sweet heart. He eyes look me over hungrily but turns sad as he reaches my face. I missed you every day after you were gone. I'll be here if you need me. His image wavers and he disappears.

Oh Palto, why now. The universe only knows.

Nosis. A gentle hand is touching my shoulder. The rest of the body is far out of my reach. Time for your watch. Diana reminds me. I groan. He was only a dream. It was so real. I open my eyes and look around me. I am back at the camp site. The girls still curled around me. The fire is just coals. there is a crisp bite to the air. It might rain in the next day or two.

I am with you Diana. I say as I slither out from my cloak. Anything to report? I stretch and work out the kinks from sleeping on the ground. I have only been away from my bed for a day and I am missing it and its occupants so badly. It is like I have cut off a limb. I want to be with Saul and Nimrod. But they were not up to this trip. Nimrod with his failing health and Saul just home from his own trip to Saint Louis last week.

All quiet, not even the mice are making a move. She relates to me.

Fine. Get some sleep I will wake us at first light. I try to be friendly but I think I came across as biting with my words. I am still thinking about the dream I had. Just who was the big bad out there, killing off good people like the Kindred. And why did they feel the need to do so. Would it not be easier for them to show up and say hi, we want to be your friends. I mean it worked for me.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.