Tamarilla's Travels - Cover

Tamarilla's Travels

Copyright© 2009 by msboy8

Chapter 6: Land, land everywhere. Nor any drop to drink.

Author's Note: We are going to break away from the meeting with the King and follow the exploits of Alice, Margaret and her crew. This is to allow Tamarilla to think of something totally callous, out-of-line, but also innocent to ask the King about his dead wife. Stay tuned...

Being that they were in an unknown port on a mission for the Emperor, Margaret only gave half the crew shore leave. She was going to accompany them, to make sure that they didn't get too rowdy and Marlin was going to stay onboard tonight and have shore leave with the other half of the crew tomorrow.

Daniel was still onboard, so one of the crew asked him where they could go. He replied, "I would go to Yancy's. The fishermen like to go there to relax after a hard day's work on the water." The sailor then asked Daniel if they had the good stuff to drink. "Yes they do, the very best! As a matter of fact, it'll grow hair on your chest. Just turn right when you leave the dock and you can't miss it. It's got the sign with the big 'Y' on it. Enjoy yourselves and your taste of the best of Brightland."

The Sailors wandered down the gangplank boasting to each other about the things they had done and joking about other things they were seen doing. Margaret followed them and was happy when they went into Yancy's. 'A happy Sailor is a drinking Sailor', Margaret mused. The Sailors sat at a table and asked the barman to have a pitcher of 'the good stuff' and some mugs brought over. Margaret took a stool at the bar and asked for a mug of 'the good stuff' too.

The first sign that things were not right was one of the Sailors taking a healthy slug from his mug and then spitting it out all over his mates. They started to yell at him until they tried their own mug of 'the good stuff'. They then sprayed the Sailors across the table from them. They were about to grab the barmaid, when Margaret stepped in.

"What's wrong you swabs? Can't you even hold your drinks? The Sailors all started talking at once and all she could understand was 'She gave us water!' Margaret took a sip from a mug and remarked, "Yes she did." She licked her lips. "And mighty tasty water too. Now, back your mainsails and let me handle this." The Sailors grumbled, but sat down. Some even forgot themselves and took another drink out of their tankard.

Margaret bellied up to the bar and asked the bartender, I thought they asked for 'the good stuff'? What did you give them?"

The bar tender replied, "Aye, they asked for 'the good stuff' and that's what I gave 'em, fresh water from the fountain in town. That's the best drink on the island. It'll put spring in their step!"

"It is good, I'll give you that. They don't need anymore spring-in-their-step, they're still jumpy from the voyage over. Don't you have anything a might hasher than water? Watered wine, ale, or rum, even grog will do the trick. They've had a rough time at sea and need something to relax."

The barman shook his head. I'm sorry Captain, but the only other drink you might get on Brightland is some warm milk from a farmer. We have no need for strong spirits here."

Margaret stepped over to the table with the antsy Sailors. They eagerly waited for her to give them 'the word'. 'The word' was not good. "Alright lads, let's bear away to the ship. This here port is as dry as a bleached bone, unless of course you'd like some warm milk directly from the source." The biggest, toughest Sailor shuddered and led the way back to 'The Lady Fair'.


Author's Note: We now leave the unhappy Sailors, rest assured that Margaret will find them enough rum for a day or two. We now join Tamarilla and her consorts returning from the meeting with the King. Oh my, there seems to be a heated discussion going on...

An angry Danielle was jabbing her finger at Tammi. "Whatever gave you the idea to ask the King if his wife had been killed by a falling apple tree?" Tammi looked around for a friendly face, but no one would meet her gaze. "And what was the purpose, when you found out that the King's daughter used to be engaged to Trendell, in telling her that he had been eaten by a Sea Monster?

Tammi stuttered, "W-w-well I just thought she should know, I guess." She then spotted the artist's shop and hopped off the cart. "I'll see you back at the ship." She called. "I have to see a man about some paint." She could barely hear Danni grumbling and Lindi asking why Tammi got to jump off where she wanted as the cart moved away.

Tammi straightened up and walked across the road to the painter's shop. A bell rang as she opened the door. She stood in the doorway taking in the sights of the fabulous paintings on the walls, a raised platform covered by a white cloth and a large easel. The easel held a painting that was covered by a cloth. Tamarilla moved closer to the easel, her hand reaching out to move aside the cloth.

She froze in place when a voice was heard from the back of the shop saying, "Tut-tut, everyone knows that the subject of the painting gets to look first, and that's only when the painting is done. That painting is by no means finished, so I must ask you not to uncover it."

Tamarilla blushed, embarrassed at being caught trying to peek. "I'm sorry kind sir, I didn't know. It's sort of like a secret, isn't it?"

A man wearing a slouch hat and paint-stained clothes stepped out where Tammi could see him. He was staring at her expansive chest. "As you can see, I'm in the middle of a project, but I would put it aside if you would agree to model for me."

Tammi giggled a nervous laugh. She had that same look in the eyes of the men in her village. "Thank you but 'no', I'm here to see if you can paint a friend of mine."

The artist's eyes lost their sparkle and he started to arrange his art supplies. "As I have said, I am in the middle of a project. I could not paint your friend's portrait for some time." He said that as if he was ending the conversation, but he doesn't know our Tamarilla.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.