Tamarilla's Travels
Chapter 5: Are We There Yet and Why Are We Going, Anyway?

Copyright© 2009 by msboy8

'The Lady Fair' had sailed past a gorgeous sandy beach, then cottages and lush farmland on its way to the port. Tamarilla looked at the peaceful land and remarked, "It looks like a nice place to live."

Lizzie harrumphed and replied, "Yes, places tend to look idyllic from a distance. It is when you are meeting the people, bargaining in the market or staring at them across a battlefield that they turn ugly."

"You might be right Lizzie, I haven't really met that many people." Tammi changed the subject abruptly. "Anyway tell me about the idol you saw." Lizzie really looked confused, but Tammi was used to that. She explained further. "You said there was an idol watching us from a distance, but I don't see it." Lizzie just made a disgusted sound and walked away. Tammi held up her hands helplessly and said to Alice, "What did I do?" Surprisingly for someone who just got the power to talk, Alice didn't answer and only smiled.


The ship shortened sail and glided up to the dock. The sailors passed the lines to the men on the dock, who tied the ship up. All in all it was a smooth docking and Margaret was proud of her ship and the crew.

Author's Note: As far as anyone on the ship or in the harbor knew this was the first ship to successfully come through the mist from InStablus to Island World. Actually, if you can keep a secret it WAS the first ship to travel from InStablus to the Island World.

You might think it presumptuous to call a mere three islands a world, but after all it is their three islands. I'm sure once it is conquered by a much larger kingdom they'll change the name to something more practical.

There was a shout from the dock, "Permission to come aboard?" Margaret signaled Marlin who gave permission then she walked to gangway to greet the man. The man was dressed in an ordinary seaman's work clothes and had a bushy white mustache.

He easily climbed onboard the ship. It was obvious from his appearance and his bearing that he was comfortable with being on a ship. "I am the Harbor Master here. What is the name of your vessel, where are you from, how did you get here and what are your intentions, Captain?

Margaret thought that the Harbor Master's questions were sensible and that he had shown the proper respect by speaking directly to her and calling her Captain. As such she readily answered his questions. "This is 'The Lady Fair' a ship in Emperor Henry the First's navy, who rules over much of InStablus, we came through the mists, and we come as peaceful explorers. I would like to ask you if shore leave is available for my crew and how soon myself and the ambassador of the Emperor can meet with your ruler."

"I see no problem with your crew having shore leave. My countrymen will welcome their visit. A messenger has already been sent to the King, so I'm sure that he will soon welcome you and your companions. May I tour your ship? It is grander than any vessel I have seen in my life."

"Certainly Harbor Master, I am proud of my ship and her crew." Alice now stepped forward. 'I hope the Harbor Master has a stout heart', thought Margaret. "May I present the Lady Alice, she is 'The Lady Fair'. Margaret held her breath while the wooden woman curtseyed to the Harbor Master.

"I am Daniel, the Harbor Master. Please let me know if there is anything my staff can do for you." He said with a bow. He then turned to Margaret, "Captain, please lead the way." Margaret was so stunned by his eager acceptance of Alice being the living embodiment of the ship that she had to be prodded by Martin to start the tour.

Tamarilla skipped up beaming with delight. "See Alice, I told you that they would like you as you were. The Harbor Master seemed to like you as both a ship and a woman. You have trim lines and a beautiful face." Her entire figure was a lovely ivory color. "If we are going to be meeting, people and I know we shall, we need to get you painted up all special like." Alice's face took on a distressed look as she imagined herself as a 'Painted Lady'.

Seeing the look on Alice's face, Tammi quickly reassured her. "Not like a harlot! Just adding color to your clothing, hair and lips. It will be very tasteful, I assure you." Alice still looked hesitant, but she nodded her head in agreement.

While Margaret showed the harbor master around the ship, the rest of the ladies gathered around Tamarilla to find out what was going on. "Girls, we will be meeting the King soon. Let's all get prettied-up so we can be the best ambassadors possible for the Emperor."

"Actually Tammi," Danni spoke up, "we were talking about this and we feel, as did the Empress, that I will act as the Emperor's Ambassador. Being the ambassador will let me go just about anywhere and then I can sneak around to find things out. Of course I will try to keep us all together and will let all of you know what happens."

Tammi was not at all happy with that and it showed in her expression. "Why do you get to be the ambassador, why not somebody else? I think that any of us could be the ambassador, even me."

"Very well, if I have to explain it to you I will. Let's look at everyone, OK?" Tamarilla vigorously nodded her head in agreement. I'm sure that you will agree that my sister is not the best suited for the job." Tammi thought about it and agreed; 'Lizzie is more likely to fight if it comes to an argument or if the King doesn't see things her way.' Tammi nodded again.

"You know and I know that Lindi is the oldest person here, but she looks like a cute child. Do you think that the King would accept that the Emperor would make her his ambassador?" Tammi pondered that. 'Lindi is a cute kid, but even if she started cursing, I don't believe the King would think that she was old enough to be the ambassador.' Tammi shook her head 'no'.

"Are you convinced yet that I am the best choice for ambassador?" Tammi thought about it and shook her head again, but with less conviction. "You need more reasons? Well, OK maybe Lori should be ambassador. I'm sure that the King will like her. Of course, she couldn't speak or the King would really like her, no love her." Tammi thought of what would happen; 'if Lori spoke all of the men, including the King within earshot would not only like her, they would love her. At least they would love her body.' Tammi shook her head 'no' again.

Danni started to go on, but Tamarilla held up her hand in surrender. "OK, I give up and agree that you would be the best ambassador." 'I had better quit before Danni has to tell me why she thinks I won't be a good choice. It may be true, but I don't want to hear it or even think about it. My head is starting to hurt with all the thinking and shaking. Besides, I don't want to be ambassador anyway.'

Author's Note: Actually, as you shall soon see, the King is very relaxed when it comes to 'Pomp and Circumstance'. If the Emperor and the King should ever meet, the Emperor would receive a rude awakening. Actually, I should say Empress. The King and Emperor meeting would probably end up in a fierce game of Checkers.

The emissary from the King arrived a short time later. He was dressed oddly in fancy dress clothes that didn't really fit. He was tall, broad and had a weathered look about him. Also the dusty pair of work boots he was wearing didn't help. If anything he looked like a farmer frantically trying to look presentable. He bowed stiffly to the group of ladies and shook Danni's offered hand rather than kissing it.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.