Tamarilla's Travels - Cover

Tamarilla's Travels

Copyright© 2009 by msboy8

Chapter 4: Shades of Pinocchio

'The Lady Fair' was slowly moving forward and away from the waves breaking up on the rocky shore. The Sailors were all cowed on deck. They were either lying prostrate or kneeling. They were mumbling unintelligible promises or pleas to whatever deity they held dear. Margaret tried to roust them from their religious fervor, but without success. She even tried hitting or kicking them, but got no response.

First Officer Marlin was not very affected by the ship sailing itself. He did appear pale, but that was understandable. He pleaded to Margaret, "Captain, I see the ship sailing without a crew, but cannot believe it is really happening. It must be happening because I see it. The ship is just not sailing itself, it is sailing itself well! I see changes in the wind or the waves that would cause me to order a change to the sails or the helm, but the ship is already doing it! Is this the end of Sailors like myself? Will all the ships be run by magic?

Authors Note: That sounds like it would work, but there are some things that would go against it. The first is, of course, cost. It sounds like it would be cheaper not having to pay, feed or train the Sailors, but a spell to do this to one ship alone would be more than a Queen's ransom (even a barren, ugly, old queen). The second would be the fact that a Sailor can sometimes tell what the wind or sea is going to do before it actually happens. It's not common, but when it happens it can save the day. And lastly, but most important, a Captain worth his or her salt, could not long sail under these conditions. Besides the Unions would never stand for it!

"Marlin, this calls for a drink, but first let's get these hard working Sailors in their racks." Margaret and Marlin carried the crew members down to where they berthed. They put each in their hammock with a couple of shots of rum. They also drank a shot from time to time, so it was a miracle that they didn't drop anyone on the way down.

When the last Sailor was tucked away in his rack, Margaret led her First Mate to her cabin to begin some really serious drinking. They noticed Tamarilla in the bow talking to the ship's figure head. Margaret's only comment was, "It takes all types." When Marlin asked Margaret about the empty lookout posts she replied, "If the ship is doing everything else, she can keep watch as well. Now where is that rum?"

Tammi ended up talking to the ship late into the night until she finally fell asleep. She told "The Lady Fair" about all the adventures that she had so far and about her companions and how special they were. Tammi's dreams were of the ship's figure head and how she could join her in her adventures.


It was a rude awakening for all when the anchor was run out. The ship came to a halt and the sails furled. Margaret was still feeling the effects of the rum when she staggered out of her cabin. Her face held a question when she looked at Tamarilla, but Tammi just shrugged and held her palms up to indicate that she didn't know what was happening.

Margaret was still standing on the deck, actually leaning against a rail, when Tammi walked over to her. "Captain Margaret, I have a question about something that has been bothering me. The song the Sailors sung while first raising the sails had a verse about making the drunken Sailor sleep with the captain's daughter. I didn't know that you had a daughter and if you do where is she?

Smiling a bent kind of smile, Margaret said, "Walk this way dearie and I'll introduce you to my daughter." Tammi tried to walk in the captain's footsteps, but she was staggering so much that Tammi finally gave up and just followed her to her cabin.

Margaret stumbled around in her cabin until she came to a sea chest. She threw open the sea chest with a crash and fished around in it until she proudly pulled out a cat-of-nine-tails. "Here is the Captain's Daughter. Sometimes I have to lovingly stroke the skin of a Sailor who goes too far. Then we bathe them in sea water and send them to bed."

Tammi looked terrified. "I can't believe that you beat those poor men. And they actually sing about it!" Tammi looked like someone told her that there was no 'Good Fairy'. She said, "I wish they never had to worry about being beaten again!"

Margaret pooh-poohed her protest. "Even a good Sailor needs to feel the cat sometimes, it keeps them honest." Tamarilla ran out of the cabin, while Margaret just shrugged her shoulders and fell into bed fully clothed with her boots still on. In just a moment, the sounds of nasal snoring could be heard coming from the captain's cabin.

Tammi ran over to Lori who took her in her arms. Tammi was crying, she was counting the crew as friends more and more. "I hate to think of them being beaten with a whip! I wish that they wouldn't have to worry about that."

Lori looked around to see that there were no men within earshot. Lori whispered, "That's just the way some things are Tammi. The Sailors know that might be part of the job. Actually, I heard that a few of them actually try to get in trouble so that the captain will beat them! Men are strange, as you well know Tammi. Now rest and try to get some sleep." Tammi cuddled into Lori's embrace and tried to get to sleep.

Sleep eluded Tamarilla, so she slipped out of Lori's sleeping arms and went to talk to the figure head of 'The Lady Fair'. Tammi wanted her to be able to talk back and wished very hard, but nothing happened. She finally gave up and drifted into a troubled sleep.

Author's Note: You would think that it would be easy to get 'The Lady Fair' to be able to talk to Tamarilla. And you would be right. It would be child's-play for Tammi to cast a spell to do that, and in fact later she will. (Shhhhh, you didn't read that.)

There is a good reason why it wasn't working. Wishes are the province of Genies and, on rare occasion, Fairy God Mothers. There is a fierce competition among different magical creatures and spell-casters. It would take an agreement between both rival groups as well as the god(s) dealing with magic to make this possible.

Needless to say, Tamarilla wasn't going to get her wish.


It was late in the morning when the sound of the capstan reeling in the anchor chain woke everyone up. There was a ruffling and a crack as the sails unfurled. 'The Lady Fair' sped forward like a wild horse freed from a stable's confinement. A brisk wind was blowing propelling the ship forward at speeds that a navigator wouldn't have allowed unless he was very familiar with the waters.

Margaret winced at the bright sun shining in the clear blue sky. She glared at Marlin who was happily whistling "What do you do with a drunken Sailor" as he patrolled the deck looking for anything amiss. 'Marlin wants the ship to make a mistake so he can fix it. I just wish he would stop his infernal whistling! I have a problem with a Sailor that doesn't suffer the next day after a drunk.'

There were clouds on the horizon. Margaret knew that this usually happened over land. She would be glad when she could get off this crazy ship for awhile.

Meanwhile Tammi and Lindi were standing at the bow of the ship letting the wind blow their hair around. Tammi was sad that the voyage would be over soon. "Pretty soon we are going to be there and I will have to leave 'The Lady Fair' tied up to the dock. Oh how I wish she could come with us on our adventures." Belinda looked at Tamarilla confused by her comment. Tammi pointed at the figure head. "Not the whole ship silly, just the woman part."

Lindi stood by the figure head deep in thought. Tammi waited for her to tell her how she could do this. Finally, Belinda said, "Well, I can see a problem right off. You can't just wish for something to happen, it will not happen. You have to find a genie or catch a leprechaun to get a wish." Tammi just moaned in disappointment. "Don't give up Tammi. Don't ever give up! If you do THEY win!"

Tamarilla thought for a moment and said, "You're right, only losers give up! Or is that cheaters? I forget, but please tell me, who are They?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.