A Time of Purgatory - Cover

A Time of Purgatory

Copyright© 2009 by Texrep

Chapter 7: Whaaaaaat?

I arrived at Jas's apartment around six fifty, and parked. I decided to wait until five past seven, being early would seem eager, being a little late would indicate a touch of indifference. I had brought a bottle of wine with me. A spur of the moment purchase now assumed the guise of a quandary. The wine was simple manners when someone offered to cook your favourite meal for you. On the other hand it could possibly be seen as a romantic gesture. I certainly did not want to make that sort of gesture. None the less at five past seven I trudged up to the entrance door, carrying the wine and pressed the buzzer for Jas's flat. She answered immediately. I wondered if she had seen me waiting in my car.

"Hello Tim. Come on in, I am on the first floor." I heard the lock release and pushed the door.

Jas was waiting for me at the top of the stairs. The years had been kind to her, very kind. The Jas of twenty four was beautiful, but the Jas of thirty five was far more than that. The girlish features had slipped away, and the elegant woman inside had emerged like a butterfly from the chrysalis. She smiled as I proffered the wine and led me into her flat.

"You needn't have gone to this trouble." She remarked, indicating the wine. "We are just old friends having a meal together."

"It was no trouble Jas." Unlike our last meeting, It was I who felt on the defensive. Jas was assured and calm.

"Sit down, the meal will be about ten minutes. Would you like some wine now? I have a Shiraz open."

"That would be good." I looked around her large lounge and was impressed. Jas had always had an eye for colour, and her scheme of mute lemons and pale greens promoted calm. There was huge window with a balcony outside and as the apartments had been built on higher ground the view from that was impressive. I strolled out to enjoy the view, Jas came back with the wine and joined me on the balcony.

"What a view." I remarked. I took my glass and held it up to her as a toast. She smiled.

"Yes it is nice. It's very pleasant sitting out here on these long summer evenings."

"I can imagine. Very impressive flat as well." She laughed.

"Tim. I can still read you like a book. The answer to your question; how can I afford this; is simple. Daddy died twelve months ago. He was an overbearing dissolute pig. But he did well for himself and kept the family in comfort, probably why he thought it was ok to have mistresses left, right and centre. He left mum, Archie and I a lot of money. So I bought the flat with the bequest." She put her glass down and dashed off saying. "It sounds as if the rice is boiling over." I stayed there mulling over what she had said. She was right about her father, he was an overbearing pig. He didn't think much of me at all. I was just a travelling salesman selling rugs, as he described my occupation. I was given to understand in no uncertain terms that I wasn't good enough for his daughter. We did marry despite his antipathy, Jas was over twenty-one and his views meant little to her. I guess his actions didn't exactly engender family loyalty. He was successful in business, although knowing him a little; and that was as much as I wanted to know him; I was sure that he wasn't averse to a dodgy deal from time to time nor suffered loss of sleep for those who lost heavily as a result of his dealings. Her brother Archie was eight years older than Jas, and was cut from the same cloth as his father, another sleaze but unfortunately for Archie he was better at losing money than making it. I also knew he had been caught out with another man's wife. I didn't think much of him and the feeling was reciprocated.

"Come and sit down, Tim." Jas called. I picked up the wine she had set down and carried both glasses into the Lounge. The dining area was a small alcove off the lounge, but still had the great view out of the large window. The table was set as I assumed it would be by Jas, perfectly.

The Beef Stroganoff was superb. Jas had always made a good Stroganoff, with a little extra touch, she would add finely chopped Kidney. Made a world of difference, not completely authentic I know, but tasty for all that. She followed the main course with Raspberries in Meringue nests with cream. Sweetness to contrast the sour. Call me suspicious, but I thought I was being softened up for something.

We sat down comfortably with our coffees. So I decided to cut to the chase.

"Ok Jas. So tell me what all this is about, and don't give me the story of two old friends sitting down to a meal together." She grinned.

"I thought you may have been suspicious. It's very simple Tim. I want a baby." That was a little shock to me, but if she wanted a baby she didn't need my permission.

"There's no difficulty in that. Find yourself a man to be the father and get yourself pregnant, or do you have the man already? I am sure you don't need a diagram to explain how it is done."

"No, Tim. You don't understand. I want your baby!"

"Whaaaat?" Jas sat there calmly, waiting for me to finish the explosion. "Have you lost your marbles, Jas? Or do you think that I am stupid or something."

"No, Tim. You are not stupid, look where you are in your business. Sales Manager, that's something to be proud of. Oh and I haven't lost my marbles either. May I explain, without you erupting like Vesuvius?" It took a few minutes for me to calm down, taking a sip of coffee to aid the process. Eventually I could speak.

"Ok go ahead."

"You know I had always wanted a child, we were talking about starting a family before I went doolally. I am thirty five now, and thanks to my father I am secure. So it would be a good time to have a baby, when I can look after it properly, and before it gets too late for me to carry it successfully. I know I shall be a single mother, but that doesn't carry the stigma today it once did. But I would want my child to be conceived with the man I love, not some anonymous donor. You Tim are that man. I have never stopped loving you, and never will. I have no right to ask, but for the times when we were Lovers and Loving, would you let me have your child?" I got up and walked out onto the balcony. My mind was churning like a washing machine. Was this a trap to get me back, or would Jas use this as a reason for frequent contact? Would I be paying child maintenance for years? There were no answers to these questions, nor would I know the answers until Jas had her baby. Only then would I know her plan, and by that time it would be too late. No. I thought. No I would not do this. I went back to the lounge and sat down.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.