Stargate Atlantis: Felix - Cover

Stargate Atlantis: Felix

Copyright© 2009 by Carrot74

Chapter 72

Morning rolled around early for Felix, as Colonel Sheppard buzzed his room while Felix was brushing his teeth. Felix raised his voice and managed to say, "Come in," with a mouthful of toothpaste.

The door slid open to admit Colonel Sheppard, dressed in his normal grey Atlantis uniform; he stepped in and without much preamble asked, "How soon can you be ready to go back to Earth just for a week?" And with that he handed over a written list that showed basic clothing plus all his gear for a Recovery mission.

Felix looked at the list, looked at the Colonel with raised eyebrows, spat out the toothpaste, rinsed his mouth and spat out that as well, and then sceptically asked, "So what is with this, Boss? Have I finally worn out my welcome here with you and Dr. Weir – and you're sending me back to Earth?"

Sheppard actually gave a small smile as he answered, "No, you haven't worn out your welcome here at all, Felix – you've proven to be quite a good addition to Atlantis. A little rough around the edges at first but we figured out what the problem was and we worked through it."

He took a swig of water and pointed for Felix to start packing the necessary gear soonest, and then added, "Actually it was Star Gate Command that asked for you through General O'Neill and General Landry – they both like the reports we have sent back about the rescues the past months and want you to help select and set-up a couple of teams for the same purpose. Plus I figured seeing as how we will be there about a week, we may as well get your legal affairs in order with regards to your family. You know, see the lawyer, sign papers, that sort of boring stuff."

When Sheppard noticed Felix stop his packing he added, "Don't worry – we are coming back here – I'm not leaving you back on Earth."

Felix went back to packing and replied, "That's good, Boss – because if you left me behind, I'd have to hunt you down, and I don't have a flux capacitor in my back pocket to go and find you."

Sheppard piped up, "You've seen that movie? McKay hates it."

Felix chuckled as he replied, "Who hasn't? It's a classic comedy as far as I'm concerned. I mean – a DeLorean as a time machine? Classy is what I call that." For the next few minutes they bantered back and forth quoting clips from that movie and the Princess Bride and gradually finding they had similar taste in movie preferences.

It didn't take long before Felix had re-checked his Bergen load, actually found his maroon beret and the one that he really had trouble finding: his wallet, then they were ready to head to the Control Centre to check with Dr. Weir. For a load he had his Bergen, Sasha slung over his shoulders, Pain and Panic strapped to his thighs, and a small grab bag with the toiletries and civilian clothes – and the book he had been reading.

When they got to the Control Centre, they found Dr. Weir waiting for them with what could be described as a sad look on her face. She looked them both in the eyes and took a deep breath as she said, "I feel like I'm letting the kids go out for the weekend with you two going back for a week."

Sheppard piped up, "Don't worry – we won't scratch the paint and I'll have the car back safe and sound." He paused and then added, "Elizabeth – don't worry – we'll be fine, and we'll be back before you know it."

She managed to give a small nervous smile as she replied, "I know; it's just that ... I've gotten used to the two of you always being here – just won't be the same."

Sheppard and Felix looked at each other with raised eyebrows in amazement; Felix said, "I think we just got a compliment – I'll take it."

Elizabeth looked Felix in the eyes and asked, "Are your two remaining people up to the task if required?"

Just as Felix was about to reply, Sheppard butted in and said, "I'll get the car started and see you upstairs in a minute – okay?"

Felix gave a nod as his hands were still holding a bag and his weapon, and then directed his attention back to the redhead leader with a quizzical look on his face. He could tell that something underlying was bothering her so he softly asked, "What's got you upset, ma'am? This isn't like you – something has you spooked."

Elizabeth placed a hand on his arm and fondly stroked it as she tried to find the words that she actually wanted to say, but couldn't yet.

Finally she replied, "I had a bad dream last night – almost like a premonition. You take care of yourself, Felix – bring yourself back here alive and well."

He could tell that she wanted to kiss him goodbye but that wouldn't be happening in front of the entire Control Centre. He gave her a fond smile and told her, "I'll be okay – it's just training, that's all – besides which – I'm too ugly to knock off."

That brought a small reassuring smile to Elizabeth's face as they gave a squeeze on the arms – much as they both wanted to do more than that – then Felix went up the stairs. Her last sight was of him dressed in his faded and worn CADPAT uniform that was distinct to Canada, and his heavy load.

A few minutes later Jumper One emerged from the hangar as the Gate activated for the 30-minute trip to Earth through the system of Gates linked up by Rodney McKay and Samantha Carter. Sheppard called in their departure to Atlantis, was given clearance by Elizabeth, then he uploaded the Macro Program for the long distance travel to the mid-point station – and then they were on their way.

The staff in the Control Centre looked at each other and then over at the Boss Lady's office – they knew she already missed Felix.

Jumper One materialized at the Midway Station where it automatically stopped; for both occupants it seemed like they had just left Atlantis, but in reality it had taken them about 15 minutes. Sheppard didn't hear anything from Felix so he looked over to see a look of total awe on the wee man's face as he stared at the Milky Way Galaxy ahead of them in the distance.

Sheppard gave a grin as he realized – like Colonel Caldwell had on the Daedelus – that Felix saw sights like this for the first time. He commented, "Cool sight, isn't it? I never fail to be amazed at the sights we get to see in our line of work."

Felix looked over with a huge smile on his face – that said it all right there for Sheppard. The Colonel added, "I just have to call the SGC, then we upload the next Macro Program, and we head to Earth." With that, Felix soaked in the sights while Colonel Sheppard dialled Earth and went through the described procedures.

On Earth in the SGC Control Room, Sergeant Walter Harriman spoke in his loud voice, "I'm receiving audio ... it's Colonel Sheppard's IDC from the Midway Station."

General Landry told Harriman, "Put him on speaker," and then out of a silly habit almost looked up at the screen, but caught himself. "Colonel Sheppard, this is General Landry, are you ready to proceed here?"

Sheppard's reply came through quite clear, given the distance, "Ready to upload Macro anytime, General. I don't think my passenger wants to leave the sights just yet – he's star-gazing."

Landry and Harriman gave a small smile, as they knew of the sight Sheppard was talking about – they had pictures galore of that same sight, and could relate to Felix. Landry said, "Time is of the essence, Colonel – proceed when ready."

Sheppard replied, "Jumper One roger – uploading Macro now ... and initiating." And with that the two travellers were speeding towards Earth, again it seemed like the trip was a few seconds.

General Landry told Sergeant Harriman, "Open the Iris," and watched as that happened – a long moment later Jumper One appeared, stopped and hovered, and then went upstairs to the make-shift hangar that the SGC had converted from part of the old silo. Landry had skipped the greeting this time, as Sheppard knew the drill by now, having made the trip a few times.

While the Jumper was parking, Sergeant Harriman had shut down the Gate – General Landry usually bounced ideas or thoughts off his senior Gate technician, and this time was no different. The General asked, "Do you think he'll make a difference, Walter?"

Sergeant Harriman thought for a moment, and then answered honestly, "I really couldn't say sir – but he comes highly recommended by General O'Neill, so..." and left the conclusion at that.

Landry added, "I just don't understand why the man is still a Sergeant. Hell, in the Air Force they would have given him a commission a number of years ago for what he has accomplished. I'm looking forward to meeting this ... what was his nickname again?"

Walter replied, "The Grey Man, sir. Someone said it was a wordplay on his last name." The Sergeant then left the console to another technician, as Walter was also the General's unofficial aide – yet another hat for an already busy NCO. He had to greet Colonel Sheppard and Sergeant Grey when they arrived, and later sit with Felix and sort out various administrations – like a pass, swipe card, accommodations, food, and the thousand and one small details for a visit to the SGC.

A few minutes later the two visitors came down the hallway leading towards the Gate Room and cut off at the Control Room, where they met Sergeant Harriman. Colonel Sheppard handed over a file from Atlantis that contained Felix's medical records, as they had wished to check out his blood anomaly – and in case Felix got wounded again. The Air Force never did much without paperwork to cover all bases, and this time was no different.

The visitors left their baggage and Felix's big rifle in the Control Room; and so after 10 minutes of signing their lives away for the thousands of forms that Walter had for them, Colonel Sheppard and Sergeant Grey were shown to General Landry's office. Walter knocked twice as per normal, waited for the reply from the General, "Enter," and then opened the door for them.

General Landry was standing waiting for the visitors and was pleasantly surprised to get an immediate salute from both members from Atlantis.

Landry already knew Colonel Sheppard, as they had previous dealings when Atlantis was going to be given back to the Ancients that turned out to be Replicators. He returned the salute and then held out a hand in greeting to Felix, who had a strange look on his face; General's normally never shook a Sergeant's hand.

Landry had a smirk on his face as he said, "I don't bite Sergeant – not yet anyways. I've heard a lot about you even if we've just met. And welcome back to Earth – I gather you have been having a busy time since last you were here."

Felix returned the handshake of the much bigger man and replied, "A little bit busy, you could say, General."

Landry told them, "At ease gentlemen. You've read the orders from General O'Neill explaining why you are back here temporarily?" Felix nodded so Landry continued, "Your name kept coming up whenever a sticky situation arose with our off-world teams, specifically by General O'Neill and Colonel Sheppard."

Felix elbowed the Colonel lightly and murmured, "Thanks Boss."

Sheppard muttered back, "I had a moment of weakness."

Landry ignored the jibe and continued, "We have been taking what we feel are needless casualties on missions to certain planets. I have a batch of files for you to look through – all volunteers – and I'd like you to run a crash-course on your Recovery Ops as I gather they are called."

Felix gave a small grimace and replied as tactfully as he could, "General – with respect – my training was 1 year in length before we went on any missions. What you are asking ... I'm not comfortable sending people out potentially ill trained – that could lead to more needless casualties. Depending on what I weed out of the files and interviews, we are looking at maybe one four-person team I can give you. Beyond that..." He trailed off there, as he had seen first-hand what happened to a team that was not ready for that kind of mission.

General Landry held up the file that Sergeant Harriman had been given by Sheppard and said, "I've read through your personnel file and it is very interesting reading – you have been through many hard scrapes and managed to always bring back your people to live another day. I read in here of a person who is unorthodox and yet finds a way to get the mission done." Hank Landry paused and then added, "But I just don't get the multiple AWOL charges from the previous ... I lost track of them there were so many. Why go AWOL? Granted they are wiped clean now, but you have to admit it makes a person wonder why you are here at all."

Felix had that small grimace as the past had caught up to him again, but he replied, "Like I told Colonel Sheppard when he mentioned it to me – I don't do the job for medals and citations. I'll leave that for the Brylcreem Boys and the steroid monkeys in SF. It boiled down to the fact that some wogs in the rear with the gear that had never seen a FOB or been out in the boonies were trying to keep a tight leash on us and do their bidding. That wasn't what we volunteered for, sir – so after a unanimous decision we stayed off the radar as it were – sir."

Hank Landry nodded his understanding about wanting to be allowed to do the job, as he had similar feelings in years past when he was younger. But he told Felix, "If there are any restrictions you feel are cramping your style – come and talk to me about whatever it is, and we will work on it – all right? I don't like having a loose cannon rolling around here – I'm bad enough – just stay within the rules and we will be fine." He paused to gauge how the Sergeant was receiving the basic rules – it seemed to be understood without any resentment.

Felix nodded his understanding and agreement as he replied, "Sir," and waited for the hammer to fall. When there was a distinct pause Felix added, "Shall I carry on, sir?"

Landry replied, "Might as well, Sergeant – see my aide on the way out – that's Walter – and he'll give you the list for you have on the go for today. Any problems – come see Walter or myself – clear?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.