Stargate Atlantis: Felix - Cover

Stargate Atlantis: Felix

Copyright© 2009 by Carrot74

Chapter 57

In Atlantis Chuck the Gate technician was looking at Dr. Weir as she repeated again over her headset, "Felix, this is Atlantis - I say again, come in."

They finally heard a strained and faint, " ... medical..." the words trailed off; Elizabeth tapped her headset and called, "Medical team to the Gate room!" then called down to the security teams, "Stand by - it might be Sergeant Grey coming in."

A long moment later three people emerged into Atlantis - Felix supported by Arkel and Merleah as the girl announced, "Please help him."

The Star Gate shut down as Dr. Weir told the security teams to stand down, and then she went rapidly down the stairs to see what happened. By the time she got to him, his Bergen was removed; his weapons were taken off as well, which followed by Dr. Beckett showing up personally with the medical team.

"Clear the way - let the wee man breathe, will ye!" and when he saw who was hurt he said, "Felix! What happened, laddie?" as he helped the almost unconscious Canadian onto the gurney.

Arkel told Carson, "He was shot in the left side about 16 hours ago - we bandaged it but that was about all we could do."

Beckett nodded and said, "All right - we'll take him from here," and went with his team to the infirmary swiftly.

Felix felt his body going down onto the soft gurney - the voices around seemed so loud, then everything started fading away and quietened.

Elizabeth Weir gently urged Merleah to her feet and said to both visitors softly, "Why don't we go to my office and tell me what happened over a cup of tea."

When the tea was ready and they were comfortable in her office, Arkel started telling the details of the rescue mission to Elizabeth, telling how the plan was done, about Felix running and walking at an insanely fast pace in the hills like a driven man. He then related how Felix almost single-handedly took out all the enemy opposition, how he tricked them, the unseen rescue followed by the betrayal of Tanek shooting Felix, who then managed to take out his would be assassin with an incredible shot.

Elizabeth listened intently to the rescue and she found herself tearing up a bit as she admired the crazy little man for his selfless courage, especially on a mission as dangerous as what he managed to pull off.

Merleah had been watching Elizabeth Weir the entire time and caught certain looks in the older woman's eyes at the mention of things Felix had done, and gave a small knowing smile as she had already figured out that Elizabeth was attracted to Felix - and didn't know it yet.

A few minutes later Arkel was finished the details of the rescue and saying that they should really be getting back to their planet, as they hadn't told anybody they were going off world to Atlantis.

As they all stood up to depart, Merleah said to Elizabeth, "I believe you can help Felix in his recovery, Dr. Weir." Elizabeth looked strangely at the eleven-year-old girl with a question on her face - Merleah added, "He hurts a lot on the inside more than the outside, and I'm sure you can help him get better."

Elizabeth continued to be puzzled as she looked to Arkel for help - he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I have found my daughter to be correct the vast majority of the time, Dr. Weir - I leave the rest in your hands."

Elizabeth nodded while she took a deep breath, then held out her hand and smiled warmly at the two visitors as she thanked both of them for bringing Felix back to Atlantis, then walked them to the Gate to see them through to their world.

Once they were gone she went to the infirmary to see the extent of Felix's injuries - she encountered Carson, who pre-empted her questions by telling her, "He's still in surgery, Elizabeth. Don't worry - Maggie is one of the best - she knows what she is doing."

She was immediately concerned and asked, "What happened?"

Carson replied, "The wee man lost a lot of blood, and that took a while to stabilize - his good physical condition saw him this far. I don't know how he managed to make it as far as he did, Elizabeth - most people his age couldn't have made it this far, and as to what drove him..." Beckett trailed off, as he had no answers for what drove Felix - none of them had that answer yet.

Elizabeth finally nodded and accepted the inevitable waiting, then said, "Well, keep me advised, Carson."

He replied, "You know I will," as he watched her walk away, and then wondered if he was imagining that she seemed a bit more concerned than usual about one of her people.

An hour later Felix was placed in the recovery room and hooked up to what appeared to be a myriad of tubes and wires in and on his body. Elizabeth came down after Carson had called her down to the recovery room; she asked, "How is he?"

Carson turned to Maggie the surgeon, who replied, "He is definitely a fighter - we almost lost him but he came back just as strong. Add in there the damage and abuse his body has been through ... you were right Carson. He will make it, even though he shouldn't have."

Elizabeth looked puzzled as she asked, "What exactly does that mean - 'he shouldn't have'? Why not?"

Carson and Maggie traded a look and then Carson replied slowly, "Maggie discovered evidence that Felix had been exposed to radiation and chemical levels in the past that would be considered dangerous - that's why they had problems getting his bleeding stopped a while ago. That first assessment I did months ago barely scratched the surface of what he has been put through in the past, Elizabeth ... so in a way it's no wonder Felix reacted the way he did months ago towards our treatment of him."

Weir looked at the two doctors, not fully comprehending what was being said and asked, "So what are you saying?"

Maggie answered that question, "He will recover but how fast or slow ... is up to him," she paused and then added, "Does he have any family that can be notified?"

Just hearing that question, knowing the answer that she and Carson knew tore at her heart, but she replied softly, "No, not anymore ... there isn't anyone."

Maggie gave a low; "Oh" in return as she hadn't heard that particular item before.

Elizabeth had a sudden sense of deja vu come over her, then she remembered young Merleah's words: 'you can help Felix in his recovery.' She shook off the weird feeling but asked, "Is it okay if I sit with him? It seems the least we can do for him."

Carson nodded and answered softly, "Of course you can, Elizabeth - it might help him."

She went around both doctors, found a chair to sit on and placed it next to Felix's left side, then took his hand in her hands with no hesitation; her heart almost broke seeing him lying in the bed.

Carson and Maggie left Elizabeth alone with Felix - they went about their duties, talked with other patients, seeing people with various ailments - the usual for any infirmary.

Elizabeth sat there holding Felix's hand, gently rubbing it as she listened to his soft breathing from the tube in his body, while wondering about Merleah's words as she stared at the monitors and machines without really seeing them. She looked at Felix and saw him in a different light for the first time: exposed and vulnerable as he lay on the bed, fighting to recover.

She impulsively squeezed his hand and was pleasantly surprised to feel a faint hand squeeze in return - she looked around to see if anyone else saw it, which was silly as there was just the two of them in the recovery room. She decided to give a longer squeeze and got the same in return - she stood up and told Felix, "I'll be right back - don't go away," and went in search of Carson to ask about this.

Elizabeth found him at his desk doing paperwork on the computer - she waited until he looked up at her and asked, "What can I do for you, Elizabeth? Would you like some tea?"

As she stood there with her mind racing she answered, "Um yes, tea would be fine," then paused and asked, "Carson ... is it normal for a person recovering to be aware of their surroundings when they aren't awake?"

The doctor answered, "Sometimes, but it depends on the person. Is it to do with Felix?"

Elizabeth crossed her arms and replied, "I'm not sure ... well I think so. I squeezed his hand and he squeezed back - twice. It was very soft but he did squeeze my hand in return."

Carson brightened considerably as he said, "Well that's good news, Elizabeth - it's just like Maggie said: he's a fighter and he's not giving up!"

The tea arrived for them - she thanked the nurse while she held the mug with both hands and blew on it to cool it down; Carson asked, "Is the Daedelus here yet?"

Elizabeth shook her head and replied, "They are due in about 2 hours ... Lieutenant Cadman is leaving for Earth, as you are no doubt aware." She paused as she felt uncomfortable but it had to be said; "Don't tell her that Felix is back - it pained her enough when she made that recording for him - it's probably better this way for both of them."

He replied heavily, "Aye, that it is - we will miss her here in Atlantis - I know I will."

Elizabeth looked down as if embarrassed and then added, "Well ... I'll go sit some more with Felix."

Just before she was out of earshot Carson told her, "We've missed Felix as well - tell him that Elizabeth - he can use the encouragement." She nodded her agreement and went back to the recovery room to sit in the chair next to the bed, and watched him while she sipped her tea.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.