Ten Years
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

I called Ann immediately. She asked me not to schedule the funeral for four days. She informed me two of my older brothers and one older sister were coming. A niece and her husband would be coming from the east coast. This niece is three years younger than me. Sam, Ann's husband and my former boss, was coming with Phyllis, my niece, who had just turned twelve. Jana made a face when she heard Philly was coming. Sandy saw that and questioned why.

"Philly has had a crush on me since she was a little girl and I kid her about it. It will wear off as she begins to meet boys her own age. I had a crush on one of my aunts when I was growing up."

This was a new side of me that Sandy and Katie had never heard about. I had always seemed so serious to them. "Rick acts like a three-year-old when he is around kids. Wait until you meet Ann and her whole tribe. He is perfectly foolish. Ann will have added another to the four by that time, too, so I expect it will keep going on all his life. I can just imagine what is going to happen when some of his family get here for your mother's funeral."

I related to the girls what went on in my large and loving family while I was growing up. I explained how they would see a lot of hugging and kissing going on, even between the men, for this was how the family expressed affection. Sandy questioned, "Doesn't a husband ever get jealous if his wife kisses her brother-in-law?"

I replied, "No, not ever. If a wife and someone other than her husband went into a room alone and kissed to hide it, that would be a shameful act and unthinkable in our family culture. Someday when there are second cousins or third cousins, it is possible they might fall in love. Before they went and hid their kissing, they would know enough to go and ask their parents if it was permissible. I mention all of this because the day your mother chose me to be your guardian, you came under the family umbrella and are expected to act accordingly. Sandy, if one of my brothers says what a beautiful young lady you are when he kisses you, he will mean just that and I guarantee he has no thoughts, other than to compliment your looks."

This discussion took their mind off the sad event that was going to happen in a couple of days. My family arrived the day before the funeral and just about filled up the small motel where Ann made reservations. Sam and Philly came in from Idaho. Ann sent her love and had the wish to be with the family, but she was just heading for the birthing center as Sam was leaving. He called on arrival and found out that he was the father of a baby girl. Jana was upset with Sam. "Shouldn't you be with her?"

"Naw, I was with her for the last four. I had to promise to be there for number six though. That'll be the last one. Making babies is hard work and I'm retiring after that." He let out a roaring laugh. Jana wasn't up to his coarse jokes. The family knew that he dearly loved Ann and really would have preferred to be at his wife's side.

Ashley and Pete, my niece and nephew, came in an hour after my two brothers and my sister. They looked tired as they had driven non-stop from Pennsylvania. Ashley was twenty-one and Pete had just turned forty. Nineteen years difference in ages. It hit me then that I had told Katie I was too old for her. I was only ten years older than her, when there was nineteen between my niece and her husband. I glanced at her. She looked hurt. Sometime I was going to have to explain my thinking and it had to be soon if she was going to trust her guardian.

Sandy received hugs and kisses and reveled in it. Katie stood by my side. Body language indicated that she needed to know these people better before she could accept the greetings wholeheartedly. My family didn't push it. Jana had not met my sister and one of the brothers before this. My sister was built much as Jana was. "Jana, I'm pleased to meet Rick's wife. You and I have a lot in common besides loving him you know."

"What is that?"

At least Mary whispered what it was. "I can see you and I suffer from the same malady." Jana was waiting. I was shaking with laughter. Katie felt it as I was holding her hand. Mary finished, "We ain't got no breasts. It is a blessing though when you see what some women have to lug around."

Jana looked shocked at first and then smiled. Katie gave my hand a little squeeze. I think she appreciated Jana getting commented on. Philly spoke, "I've got more than you have Aunt Mary and I'm only twelve."

"I know, but you better hope they stop growing and don't get as big as your Grandma Becket's."

"Women are never satisfied. Remember there is someone out there to love you no matter what size your breasts are." This time Jana squeezed my hand.

Jana drifted away to talk to Mary. "Katie, I'd like to have you know my family to make you feel you are a part of it. I'm going to sit you there on the end of the couch. To make you feel welcome, one by one someone of them will come and talk to you. Before the evening is over, you will be family. I promise it will help you get through tomorrow. Would you trust me?"

"Yes." I circulated and talked with first my oldest brother and then was joined by my sister. Ashley spent much time with Katie. Sandy as usual flipped from one person to another. When almost everyone had said a few words to Katie, I returned to her side.

Brightly, she declared, "I'm going to sing a song that Mama loved at the service tomorrow. I didn't know that your family was musical. George brought his guitar and Mary is going to play the violin. Ralph has a keyboard. They all know the song and say they have played it many times. I think Mama will hear it, wherever she is."

"What is it? I may know it too."

"The name of it is Lonesome Waltz. Jim Reeves is the only one I have heard sing it. It is a love song and Daddy used to sing it to Mama. I think it is sad, but beautiful. It should be appropriate."

"I'm sure it will be. Do you need to rehearse it with them?"

"It would help."

"I'll ask them to set up. We have all but two of the rooms here so I'm sure the owner won't mind. I want to say a few words about your mother tomorrow so I'm going home as I want to write them up. I'll hear it tomorrow when you sing it. Will you be okay here until someone brings you home?"

"That would be great." She wanted to say something else. "What should I call you as my guardian? I've always called you Mr. B, but that doesn't seem right."

"I agree. Either Rick or Ricky if you want. Rick is more mature, but Ricky is more friendly."

"I'll decide."

Jana opted to stay, so I went home alone and worked on what I was going to say.


I was still up when Jana, Sandy and Katie were dropped off by Ashley. She stopped just for a minute. "Rick, you've collected quite a singer for the family. You should have stayed to hear her. You missed something, but then you will hear her tomorrow. I'm really impressed."

She had no more than left when Sam came in with Philly. "Philly wants to stay here with Sandy and Katie. You don't mind do you?"

Katie spoke up. "She can sleep with me. You don't mind do you Sandy? You can sleep in Mom's bed. You said you wanted to."

"Sure, I don't mind."

Jana raved over Katie's voice. "You know I thought Katie was shy and reticent. Once the music started, she changed. She can really belt out a song and the feeling she puts into a sad song makes tears come to your eyes. Did you know about her singing?"

"No, this is as much a surprise to me as it is to you. Let's get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a hard day."

The funeral parlor was almost full of people. There were few there that knew Velma, but some came out of respect for the girls and for me, too. Some of the men I worked with came. Jana, and seven members of my family were in attendance and there were some of the girls' friends. The minister had never met Velma in life and so he depended on me to say a few personal words.

It was a simple ceremony for Velma Chase. The call to worship and then Ralph played on the keyboard while Mary sang 'Just A Closer Walk With Thee' for the opening hymn. The scripture reading was the 23rd psalm. We all sang 'Jesus Loves Me', the words being printed in the program.

The minister spoke. "Mr. Rick Brooks will now give the eulogy."

"Velma Chase was my friend. I came here to work and rented a room from Velma and she was in many ways a mother to me. She saw that I was fed and washed my clothes and of an evening we talked about her husband and her children and how much she loved them and was loved by them. I came to love her and respect her with the same feelings she displayed for her own family. When it came time for her to find her time on earth was limited, she turned to me with concern for what would happen to Sandy and Katie.

"This woman whose mate was taken from her way too early and her own life that was ending only five short years later, coped by finding a friend. A friend to care for those she was leaving behind. Velma had given me a time of ease and comfort and earned the right to pass on the gift of putting her children in my care. Velma, thank you."

I let my eyes find Sandy and Katie. "Here today are many of my family to welcome these two young people into our arms. My wife is here. I have two brothers and a sister and two nieces and a brother-in-law here. Those are just the ones that were able to make it in the short time possible. We are here to integrate them into our family, but also to help them remember their mother who was truly a wonderful mother and friend.

"My niece and nephew will now sing the closing hymn, 'Bless Be The Tie That Binds.' Immediately following the service there will be a songfest of some of Velma's favorite songs. Katie will sing the song that her father sang to her mother. You will find out just why I consider that Velma passed on a gift."

My family was able to use the sound system for the songfest. Soon music poured forth. Some songs happy, some sad, but all sung with feeling by my family. There was a small pause. Katie came to the microphone. "I have three songs I would like to sing. 'Whispering Hope', I'm sure you all know. 'On The Wings Of A Snow White Dove' most have heard. I'm going to sing 'Lonesome Waltz', the song my father sang to Mom. You may have never heard it, but I think it is beautiful."

Katie sang the first two with Mary, George, Ralph and Ashley singing the chorus. The last one, no chorus, Katie sang straight through. I think everyone there thought she was singing directly to them. At least I felt she was singing to me, anyway.

Lonesome Waltz
When a record starts to spinnin'
And love words make a song
I think of a million sweethearts
But only one I could own
Today your life is music
And famous they say you will be
Darling sometimes write
A lonesome waltz for me

Put in some pretty love words
As fresh as the summer rain
I'll furnish pretty teardrops
And pretend you're mine again
And if someday you find
You're just a used-to-be
Please come back and dance
This lonesome waltz for me

When a story's told in music
For millions to hear
there's always someone lonesome
Who'll hang their head and cry
A waltz so soft and touching
A love so colld and lost
Darling for old-times sake
Let's dance the lonesome waltz


It took two weeks to settle things in Wyoming. Jana was a big help in keeping the girls distracted from the sorrow of losing their mother. At first Jana resented Sandy with her lush almost-woman's body. But within a few days she found Sandy so warm and companionable they soon became friends. Not so with Katie who was quiet and reserved. She and my wife did not bond at all. I made sure my relationship with Katie was no different than mine with Sandy and showed no favoritism between the two young ladies.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.