In a Prison Trapped - Cover

In a Prison Trapped

Copyright© 2009 by closetfan

Chapter 13

Walt's gaze outside his office window broke when Sonny entered.

"Virgil settled back home yet?" Walt asked as Sonny took a seat.

"Yeah, five days at my place was enough for him. But I'm still a little worried. I'll stop by and visit him periodically."

Sonny looked at the bags under his boss's eyes. "But you don't look so hot."

"I'm fine. Anything I need to worry about with Virgil?"

"Nah. He's not quite his old self yet. I guess that's to be expected with that bad of a 'bell-ringer'. By the way, how's Jack?"

"He's not fairing as well.".

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Once Wendy got over the shock of the shooting, she gave Jack hell." The threatening smile broke Walt's face wide open.

Sonny relaxed and waited for more.

"She's been giving him the silent treatment for the past several days."

Cringing, "Oooo, the silent treatment." Sonny shook his head, "That's rough. Can't even get sympathy for his injury."

"Yeah, he told me he can't wait to get back to work, so he has someone to talk to. He even agreed to a desk job."

"He's desperate."

Walt turned serious. "But you're not here about Jack and Virg. You want a progress report, right?"

Sonny nodded.

"There's not much. Nothing to go on yet."

Sonny raised his voice, "C'mon, with all the fancy equipment cops have nowadays, there's nothing to be found? Not a hint of who it could be? Couldn't someone follow tire tracks or use bloodhounds or something? What about the big guy, the moneybags behind this company? Can't he throw his weight around a little and get some action?"

"Calm down. We have a high priority with the police. We save their lives, too, ya know. They're checking every name on the ex-employee list we gave them. As well as talking to other groups to see if there're similar attacks in case this guy has a vendetta against Search And Rescue in general, not just us. Yeah, they have a tire print, but it's the most common tire used on Jeeps. I believe they also found shell casings. But that'll help only if they find the gun. Listen, Sonny, I am just as upset as you are..."

"Upset! My brother has the imprint of a gun on the side of his head!" Sonny rose up and placed his knuckles on Walt's desk.

"And he was one of four of my people attacked," Walt yelled back also standing with his fists on his desk. "And I have a whole crew that I worry double about now. It's hard enough sitting here listening to you guys during a rescue, wondering if you're going to get hurt doing your job. Now I lose sleep because some nutcase's trying to kill you? I have more reason to be upset than you because I have to worry about you as well as your brother and everyone else in this company who goes out on a goddamn mission."

After a moment of silence, they both took deep breaths. Walt sat down. "Now that we both have that out of our systems: I want this guy too, Sonny. But worrying about it isn't going to solve the case. I need you to concentrate on what you're doing during a rescue. The State Police have offered some of their men to go out with us during calls. We'll have someone available on all shifts to ride shotgun."

"Well that's some good news. I know Virg'll like to hear that. He's already fretting about me going out."


Virgil looked in the mirror rubbing his shaved head. He opted for the balanced look and took off the rest of his hair. 'At least it's the current style.' The side of his face was still swollen with a myriad of colors. Bruises look worse when they healed and his appearance was no exception. Turning his head a little, he checked out the scar where the stitches were removed. He winced as it was still tender to the touch.

Absorbed in the self exam, he jumped when he heard, "Hey, Virg!" Sonny had come upstairs and saw his sibling at the bathroom mirror.

"Geesus, you scared the shit outa me! What're you doing here in the middle of the day?" Virgil yelled as he turned to face him.

"Sorry. I didn't want to wake you if you were napping. Walt said I could give you a quick visit, make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine and I don't nap in the middle of the day." Virgil snapped.

"Well you should. You took a major hit a week ago. That's nothing to be fooled with."

"I don't need a babysitter."

Sonny raised his hands backing off, "Okay. No problem." When he saw his brother turn back to the mirror he chided, "Nice do."

Distain poured from Virgil's eyes. "Thanks."

"It'll grow back. In the mean time, we can buff it up a little bit. You and John can see who has the shiniest pate. The winner comes away with the coveted title of Captain Chromedome."

Before Virgil could react, Sonny grabbed a towel and attacked his brother.

"Alright, alright, you win!" A smile broke through the gloomy veneer.

Sonny, smiled. "Now that's the Virg I know and love.

"Actually, your face's looking better. The swelling's almost gone. And I bet that by the day after tomorrow, the rainbow on your face will fade."

"I could always count on you to get me into a better mood. By the way, are you on duty next Tuesday?"

"Don't know. Have to check. Why?"

"Doctor's appointment. Karen took me today, but I didn't want to bother her again. Hopefully I'll get the green light to go back to work. Or at least drive."

"Sure. Even if I'm working, Walt'll let me take a break. But, what if I'm out on a call? Could Lydia give you a ride?"

"Yeah. She might. She's called several times. But not visited." Glancing in the mirror again, "I can't blame her though, I look hideous."

"Now c'mon. It's only temporary and she should understand that too. Ya know, she's the complete opposite of Catherine. Lydia's a self-centered, power-hungry, manipulating bitch."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.