Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 28

Dom asked me what was getting up Hebb's nose, I told him about our run in and he was really pissed off. "What the hell does he think he's doing Tony, if he upsets everyone they'll only make it harder for him, Jesus what a drongo."

"Well I know what I'm going to do Dom, I had intended to give him the chance to find a replacement cook before I handed in my notice. Now I'm going to write it out and take it over to Morwell and give it to the manager myself; I think the manager needs to realise that Hebb can cause a lot of unrest in the camp."

"Right, while you are at it you can give him mine as well mate."

I was getting into the car when Hebb came out of the office and came over. "Where do you think you are going Concept?"

"I don't think it's any of your business mister Hebb, I'm on my time off and what I do then is entirely up to me."

"I want to know where you are at all times."

"Oh goody, overtime rates are time and a half for the first four hours and double time there after, that would mean that when I would normally start back I would still be on double time. Thank you so much mister Hebb."

"Wait a minute Concept, I'm not paying you overtime."

""Right, then mind your own bloody business, what I do in my own time is nothing to do with you." I got into the car and drove off.

I stopped in at Jess's school and asked to see her, when she came out I told her what had happened.

"You can put mine in too Tony, at least it makes leaving the job a bit easier, I wasn't looking forward to telling Fred we were going,"

Arriving at the head office I asked to see the manager, when I was called in I told him that I wanted to tender my, Jess and Dom's resignations.

"Why did you want to do that here son? You could have just given it to the supervisor. Why are the three of you wanting to leave any how?"

I explained that we would be leaving soon anyway but things had came to a head with Hebb's pedantic attitude. I told him about the ordering of supplies and how I had direct contact with the producers, about his insinuation that I was lining my own pockets and his attempt to make me work to his personal menu without any consideration to the choices the men wanted. I told him about his insulting remarks about Jess and how he threatened to give her the sack.

"To be quite honest sir, mister Hebb is about to stir up a hornet's nest if he keeps going the way he's started. I intended to give Fred plenty of warning so he could get a new cook before we left but I don't feel obliged to do that for mister Hebb."

"Well I wish you all success in you roadhouse venture. The problem of relacing you could be a blessing to me, we have a chap working here that's just broken up with his wife and he's looking for a new start away from her. He has a lot of cooking experience although he's a mechanic by trade. I'll see if I can call him in, wait a moment."

He picked up the phone and asked his secretary if Paul Bergman was available. "He's down at the back workshop sir, do you want me to call him?"

"Yes Beth, will you ask him to come up to the office for me?"

Very soon there was a tap at the door and a big broad shouldered man came into the office. "You wanted to see me sir?"

"Yes Paul, meet Tony Concept, he's the cook out at the Fish Creek camp. Tony's leaving to start his own business so they will need a new cook, can I interest you in the job?"

"Sounds good boss, what's the catch?"

"Ahh, there seems to be a bit of conflict with the new supervisor out there Paul, if you take the job I think it might be advisable to answer directly to me, that should short circuit any difficulties with him. I'll be talking to him soon anyway but that's nothing to do with you. How do you feel about it?"

"I'd like to talk to Tony first boss, I would want to know what sort of equipment he has and how many he's cooking for, I must say I'm defiantly interested though."

"OK, you two get your heads together and let me know what you decide."

I gave Paul a run down on the camp, what sort of gear we had, how many we cooked for and the hours I worked. "To be honest Paul, if it wasn't for that little prick Hebb I would be reluctant to leave. I've enjoyed working there; they're a great lot of men to cook for and I don't think for one moment that you won't enjoy it there, plus living out in the country is a bonus."

"I think you have sold the idea to me mate, OK boss I'll take it, when do I start?"

"Why don't you go back with Tony, he can run with you until he leaves, that'll get you chance to get your feet under the table. That suit you Tony?"

"Yep sure does sir, where's your gear Paul?"

He told me where his hut was so I drove around and we loaded his kit into the car and headed back to camp."

"That prick Hebb will be spitting chips when he finds out what's happened."

"Don't worry Tony, I'm used to working with arseholes. I left Hungary because the communists took over, if you want arseholes they are your boys."


We arrived back in camp and I introduced Paul to Dom and told him what had transpired in Morwell.

"Shit, Hebb will go ballistic when he finds out what has happened."

We brought Paul's gear in and got him settled in my old room. Dom made a pot of tea and we sat around talking. Very soon Hebb came into the kitchen demanding to know who Paul was.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.