Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 26

Jess and Cheryl looked through a raft of colour charts and finally decided on a paint scheme for The Sundowner Roadhouse, I like the way that rolls off my tongue, much better than just 'roadhouse'. They bought all the paint and brushes and Ernie picked up a few other items for the job at hand. Jess took a half day off from school and she and Cheryl drove Ernie over to Bairnsdale.

I chivvied Jess about losing school time but she said she was taking her books with her. Because Ernie had to use the front seat on account of his gammy leg, she would be in the back seat studying. Her Leaving Certificate exams were coming up in the near future and I was insistent she do well. We had promised Ernie that we would not let our relationship get in the way of her education hence my concern.

We had packed a survival package for Ernie comprising bedding and food, I had noticed that there was still pots and dishes in the homestead so he wouldn't be roughing it too much. I had impressed on him that if he had any difficulties at all to get in touch with us and we would come and collect him.

His only comment "Stop being like clucky hens, I'm old enough and ugly enough to look after myself." I had a feeling that Jean would be taking care of him, perhaps that's why he was so eager to go there in the first place, I hope so.

It was a slow day waiting for the girls to return, guess I'm the clucky one. I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard the car pull up in the yard. They came into the kitchen giggling and carrying on like teenagers ... I suppose that's what they are.

"Dad's all settled in, it didn't take long for 'that woman' to turn up, they must have bush telegraph out there. She's very nice to talk to though."

I asked Jess if she had got any studying in and she assured me she had. "Don't worry about it Tony, I'm right up with my work. I want to pass my exams as much as you do, I'm not going to let Dad or you down."


Things were progressing well, the registration of our business name was approved and we were now 'Sundowner Roadhouse', Ernie had done a great job of the painting, ably assisted by Jean, he never called for assistance so we assume he was getting it from her. He arranged for the electricity and telephone to be connected, at last the place had that 'lived in' look. Jess's exams were under way, she had two more days and she was finished. She assured me she was on top of them, confident but not cocky about it.

Fred was complaining about his indigestion so I tried to talk him into seeing the local doctor.

"She's alright Tony, a good dose of bi-carbonate will sort it out."

"I still think you should check it out Fred, if you have an ulcer the can give you better treatment than bi-carb."

"Yeah, OK, next time I'm in Morwell I'll go see the quack, that keep you happy?"

"I worry about you Fred, you should take more care about your health."

"Jesus Tony, you're worse than my ex wife, give it a rest will ya?"

"All right, All right."

He stomped off to his office muttering about 'old women' but I hope he'll take notice.


A great day, Jess passed all of her exams, most with credits. She was as happy as a sand boy. "I did it ... I did it Tony, I passed the whole lot of them."

"Jess, you make me very proud, at least now we'll have one brainy member in our family, congratulations. What say, tomorrow we drive over and let Ernie know the good news. I'm sure he will be as happy as we are."

"Yeah, maybe we can surprise him with his new girlfriend as well."

"Jessica Watson, you are evil."

I told Fred we would be going over to the Sundowner the next day but would be back for the evening meal. Jess, Dom and I prepared it that evening.

Fred told me he had made an appointment to se the doctor in Morwell the day after. "Just to keep you happy," he grumbled. At least he was taking the hint.

The next morning we piled into Ernie's car and took off for the Sundowner, Cheryl and Jess sat in the back while Dom and I had the front. The girls were yapping about curtains and all things feminine, they were itching to get into the house to add those womanly touches.

We arrived to find Ernie and Jean tiding up after painting the trim in the lounge room. "Hello, this is a surprise, shouldn't you be at school doing exams Jess?"

"I'm finished Dad and guess what ... I've got a pass in all my subjects with three honours as well."

"That's great Jess, for a while I thought you were going to fail, I guess Tony was a bigger influence than I thought he was."

"He was Daddy, when you first took me to the camp I was like a spoilt kid, Tony spoke to me and made me realise how hard it was for you, suddenly having a teenage brat to look after. When I took a look at how I was behaving I quickly changed my attitude."

"Well girl, you have made me a very proud father today, gone is the little girl and I now have a mature young lady for a daughter, well done."

Jean gave Jess a hug, "Your dad has been on tenterhooks the whole time you were doing your exams, now he can relax, he's very proud of you Jess, believe me."

"Thank you Jean, I'm glad he had you to look after him, has he been a good boy?"

"He's been a perfect gentleman Jess, we seem to have a lot in common and we both are looking forward to spending a lot of time together."

"Jean's right Jess, we get on famously and I hope it becomes more than just 'Friends', it's early days yet but we think we have something going for us."

"That's great news, I hope everything works out for you both."

They gave us a run down on everything that had taken place since we last met. Then they took us on a tour to see how the place looked all tarted up.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.