Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 23

After lunch I collected Jess and we came back to the camp to allow her to clean up and change her clothes. When she was all dollied up we headed for the hospital to see how Ernie had fared. After a short wait the sister allowed us into the recovery ward.

"He's just coming out of the anaesthetic so he probably won't recognise you. It was a lengthy operation so he was doped up fairly heavily."

As the sister warned us, Ernie was completely dazed and I don't think he even saw us there. Jess gave a little sob so I squeezed he hand to reassure her.

"Did Doctor Ganze say how the reconstruction went Sister?"

"I'm sorry folks, regulations prohibit us from giving out that sort of information. I would say that the doctor seemed pleased when he came out of the operating theatre but you will need to talk to him. I'll see if I can locate him for you."

The sister found him and arranged for us to have a chat with him.

"Miss Watson, your father's operation went as I expected it to go, the leg was badly damaged so I had to insert several steel pins in the bones, that part will heal successfully. The knee is a different kettle of fish, for now I have pinned it in the straight position, after the other bits knit together we will look at a knee replacement; it won't be as good as his old knee but will allow him to move around. It will take a lot of rehabilitation therapy to be anywhere near what his old one was like."

"When will he be able to come home doctor?"

"In about a week Miss, I like to keep them in for observation for that long. If everything goes well I will then release him."

"Thank you Doctor Ganze we appreciate what you have done for Dad and I'm sure he will thank you himself when he's able to."

"My pleasure folks, I enjoy a bit of a challenge and your father's leg was quite a challenge I can assure you."

After we left the doctor I sought out the sister and asked her when would be the best time to come and visit Ernie.

"I would suggest tomorrow afternoon sir, that will give him time to fully recover and be aware of what's going on."

...

Finally it was time for Ernie to come home, we had been travelling back and forth to the hospital for over two weeks, so it was a relief to have him back. Jess, back in mother hen mode fussed over him until he admonished her, "I know you're glad to see me love but please don't over do it. I do appreciate your care but I'm a big boy and can look after myself."

"Yeah, I know, we missed having you around so I'm just making up for lost time. I'll ease up when we get you home, just let me get you comfortable for the ride back."

Ernie had a calliper on his reconstructed leg so he could, with the aid of crutches hobble about. Without the flexibility of his knee he had to 'throw' his leg forward when he wanted to sit down. "Blasted nuisance, I'll be glad when they can put in the new knee." He grumbled.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.