Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 4

Back into the Valley, we resumed work on the road that I had started on. Friday lunch time we knocked off as was the usual custom, we worked extra time during the week to give us the Friday afternoon off, this gave those who had to travel the time to do it in the daylight hours.

Instead of going back to the camp I opted to go into town and buy some badly needed clothes, The envelope Joan had given me held twenty pounds, I was rich. The windfall had been unexpected, I had enjoyed helping Trish and had learnt a lot during my stay.

My shopping completed I went into a café and had a meal, by this time it was getting dark so I decided to catch a taxi out to the camp. Over at the taxi rank there was a telephone link to O'Hara's taxis. Picking up the phone I asked for a cab out to Hazelwood cemetery, The operator gave a sort of a laugh and told me someone would be there soon.

After a short wait a taxi pulled up and asked if I was the fare to the cemetery? I said I was and got in. The driver was a youngish looking redheaded lady. We took off and she was heading in a different direction to what I wanted to go.

"Uh, the Hazelwood cemetery is in the other direction miss."

"You're kidding me aren't you?"

"No, I want to go to the CRB camp next to the cemetery."

She started to laugh, "Usually if someone wants jiggy jig they ask for somewhere unusual. You sure you don't want some?"

"Uh, no thank you, I have a girlfriend and don't want to cheat on her."

"You'll soon grow out of that silly notion son, anyhow we better get you home. If you change your mind just give Scarlet a ring."

When we reached the camp she gave me a couple of business cards, "Give them to the boys, maybe they might be interested."

The following morning I recounted my experience with Scarlet O'Hara, "I just about shit my pants when she told me she was on the game."

There was a lot of interest so I handed them her business cards, "Be careful, she's a red head and I reckon she'll give you a run for your money."

The boys made full use of Scarlet's 'taxi service' in the following weeks.

After that little experience I decided I needed some form of independent transport. When I mentioned I was looking for something Jimmy Pryed offered to sell me his BSA Bantam for thirty pounds.

"I've just got engaged to Shirley and she's made it quite clear that motor bikes are out, I bought a car so the 'Beeza' is up for sale."

I was now the proud owner of a Beeza Bantam.

We had just got back into the swing of working on the new stretch of road when Joe gave us the news that we would be working in the hills again, this time in the Srezlecki range which was on the opposite side to Walhalla. There had been considerable damage due to heavy storms in the area, a particularly bad land slide at Rhyton junction was our top priority.

There was a half an hour drive in the truck to get us there, when we saw the slide we knew it was going to be a big job, the hill had slid down and took the road out with it. We were soon toiling away with picks and mattocks smoothing the remaining face of the slide. Around noon the heavy equipment arrived, a D4 dozer and a grader started to cut a road through the mess.

The first week we made a small impression on the slip, at least there was a track, albeit a rough one, through it.

"Smoke oh everybody" yelled Joe.

We broke for a cup of tea and a bite to eat, Archie, an old man, had boiled the big cast iron brew pot of tea and we dipped our pannikins in and set back to enjoy our respite. Archie was Joe's father in law, he kept all the tools in order and acted as 'Billy boy', he was well past retirement age but one of those men who wanted to keep active.

We were just about to go back up on the slip when a CRB ute pulled up, Joe went over and started to talk to the driver, after a while he called out.

"Tony, could you come over here for a minute."

Curious as to why he would want me, I walked over. "Tony, this is Fred Wallace, he's the overseer at the Fish Creek depot, he's looking for a cook, would you be interested?"

Jesus! would I be interested? ... Don't rush in Tony.

"Uh, how many are you cooking for Fred?"

"We have around thirty men, give or take a few, it's breakfast and evening meal with a cut lunch. Weekends you prepare meals but they handle that themselves. It pays an extra seven pound more than what you get now."

"As Joe will tell you Fred, I grew up in an orphanage and learnt how to cook there, we had around the same amount of mouths to feed so I'm pretty sure I could handle the job, I just ask that you tell me if I'm not doing good, OK? I'll try my best for you though."

"That's all I ask Tony, the last cook shot through and Dominic the camp orderly is struggling to feed the men, I think he will welcome you with open arms."

We arranged for me to start in the morning, I would pack my gear tonight and ride the Beeza Bantam over to Fish Creek in the Morning. Fred drew a mud map so I could find my way there.

That night I packed all my gear up except the swag, I would roll that up in the morning.

I was up early and secured my swag and kit bag onto the Beeza, once I was happy with the way thing sat I walked over to the mess hall for breakfast. After I had my fill I said goodbye to my workmates and fired up the Bantam, first stop was the garage in Yinnar where I filled the tank with fuel.

"So you're the one who bought Jimmy's bike." A nice looking lady said.

"Yeah, do you know him?"

"Yes, I'm Shirley, his fiancé, I told him that I wouldn't marry him if he kept the bike."

"Why don't you like motor bikes Shirley?"

"My brother was killed riding one, I don't want that to happen to Jimmy."

"Oh, I see, well you did me a good turn Shirley, I now have transport."

"You just be careful when you ride it."

I paid for my petrol and headed for Fish Creek, I had to go through the Srezleckies to get there so I figured on an hour and a half ride. Since I had bought the bike I had only ridden around the camp area, so this would be my first big trip.

Fortunately the rain held off and it was a pleasant if cold ride through the hills. The scenery is nothing short of spectacular, towering gums lined the road and magnificent views as you rounded a bend. It was a very saddle sore Tony Concept that pulled up in front of the Fish Creek office.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.