Roadhouse - Cover

Roadhouse

Copyright© 2009 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 1

"And what time do you call this Anthony Conception?"

I looked up and there outlined by the upstairs window was the imposing silhouette of Sister Maria. Damn, sprung by the Penguin again.

"Sorry Sister, I was caught up in a conversation with a friend."

"And I suppose this friend is more important than your curfew?"

"No Sister Maria, he was telling me about his new job and maybe I might be able to start work with him."

"And just what is this so called job that warrants your tardiness Anthony?"

Jeeze I wish she wouldn't keep calling me 'Anthony', everyone else calls me 'Tony'.

'Working on the roads Sister, He tells me the pay is a full adult wage and the work's not too hard."

"So you want to be a common labourer then, is that it?"

"I was thinking of it Sister Maria."

"There'll be no more talk of this Anthony. The orphanage will find you suitable employment when the time comes. For your punishment, you will rise early and present yourself for kitchen duty, I'm sure Mrs Andrews won't be surprised to see you again."

Silly old bat, I enjoy working in the kitchen, Mrs Andrews and Mrs Cooper are great people, they let me cook and teach me a new recipe every time I go there. Some punishment.

"Yes Sister Maria, five o'clock?"

"Five o'clock Anthony."

My given name is Anthony Conception, I hate it. I'm one of the many abandoned kids in the orphanage, some over zealous Sister named me. One day when I'm free from here I'll change it to Concept, I'm nearly sixteen and more than ready to leave.

...

Five o'clock I was in the kitchen. "Good morning Mrs Andrews, your ever willing assistant is here."

"Ah! you have been a naughty boy again Tony, I think you do it just so you can work in the kitchen."

"I enjoy being naughty, but yes I love working in here, at least I'm learning something worthwhile. As long as the Penguin doesn't wake up to me I'll be alright,"

"You're incorrigible young Tony, OK will you start the oatmeal and get the milk ready to heat up?"

"Your wish is my command Head Chef, oatmeal and milk for the hungry hordes."

The kids fed and the dishes washed, we were sitting back enjoying a cup of tea when in walked Mrs Cooper,

"Good morning Mrs C, how are you today?"

"Why it's young Tony, why aren't I surprised?"

"It's the charm and the wit that you two lovely ladies have that draws me like a moth to a flame."

"More like our cooking, eh Mrs A?"

We all had a bit of a chuckle at that rejoinder. "So what crime are you guilty of this time Tony?"

"I stayed out past curfew Mrs C, Don Moreland was telling me about his new job on the roads. He told them he was eighteen, so they pay him a full adult wage. I was thinking maybe I might see if they would give me a start."

"Not much future in swinging a pick and shovel Tony. Why don't you wait and see what the orphanage can do for you?"

"Yeah, I've seen the type of work they get you, some lousy shop owner wants cheap labour and you are it. Not much future there either, at least on the roads I would be getting a decent wage and if I'm careful I can save enough to be able to look for something better."

"Where will you live while you are making all this money then Tony?"

"The Country Roads Board has a workman's camp out at Hazelwood Mrs A, I could stay there if I got the job."

"Do they supply bedding at this camp Tony?"

"I think so Mrs C, if I go there I think with my first wages I'll see if I can buy a swag."

"I'll have a talk with Mr Cooper tonight, he's got his old army swag up in the attic. He doesn't use it so he might give it to you. Mind you I'm not agreeing with what you're going to do, you understand?"

"Yes Mrs C, it would be great if Mr C lets me have it."

"So when are you going to see about the job then?"

"If I can sneak away without the Penguin catching me, I'll go this afternoon."

"You know there will be hell to play when you tell her you have the job don't you?"

"That's if I tell her, if I get the job I'll do a bunk and send her a letter, that way I'll be gone and it'll be to late to stop me."

...

That afternoon I snuck away and went down to where they were working on the new stretch of road. I asked one of the men who was the boss and he pointed him out to me. I walked up and introduced myself to him.

"Good afternoon Sir, I've been told that you are putting men on, can I apply for a job."

"What's your name son?"


"Tony Concept Sir."

"Just call me Joe son, Joe Middleton. How old are you Tony?"

"Eighteen S ... Joe."

"OK, the pay is twelve pounds ten shillings a fortnight, where do you live Tony?"

"I was hoping to get a spot in the workman's camp Joe. I'm just about to leave the orphanage."

"I think we can arrange a place in the camp, it's a tent camp you understand? Not very fancy but quite clean. When do you want to start Tony?"

"Would it be OK to start on Monday Joe?"

"Right, see you seven thirty Monday then."

...

When I got back to the orphanage my luck changed, the Penguin was waiting for me. I swear that woman has radar. "Again Anthony Conception?"

If I had a middle name I'm sure she would put that into the equation

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.