Nx
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2009 by dak

"Gravitational field generation at 50%" Elora said.

"Okay everything looks stable" I said looking over the controls.

"We are getting a disturbance straight ahead." Elora said.

"Lock in the field generators to the navigation array." I said.

"Locked in." Elora said.

The entire ship started to shudder, my hands flew over the controls, there was a real risk of creating a black hole if the calculations were off by even the slightest bit.

"Gravitational field at 80%" Elora said.

"okay lets cross are fingers." I said.

"I have no fingers." Elora said.

"Is that a singularity forming?" I said.

"it would appear so." Elora said.

I studied the sensors intently, calculating what was needed, I adjusted the controls.

"Gravitational field at 95%" Elora said.

"Increase power out put to maximum." I said.

"Done." Elora said.

"Gravitational field at 99%, we have a worm hole forming." Elora said.

"Its working." I said.

The entire ship started to shake.

"Gravitational shear, adjusting inertial dampeners to compensate."

The shaking increased.

"Elora?" I said.

"The gravity is increasing, we are being pulled toward it." She said.

"Okay, reverse thrusters." I said.

"No effect" she said.

Something exploded on the ship, I was thrown from my seat into the floor, I was thrown from there into the side wall, the ship was spinning.

"ELORA!" I shouted.

No response.

I tried to reach the console but the spin was increasing, the lights cut out on all the consoles. The force was such that I was pinned against the wall I couldn't move, I could hear groaning throughout the ship, I though I heard metal tearing, my eyesight began to fail, one by one my sensors went off line, the last was my sense of touch.

I could see stars when I came to, how pretty they were, than it hit me, I was seeing stars.

"Shit." I said to myself.

.

.

.

Elsewhere in the space between dimensions.

Spacial detection grid 49231.09.

.

Gravitational anomaly in dimension 189823.98 detected...

Pattern shows signs of artificial creation...

Dimension last record listed as conquered 150 galactic standard years...

Send automated scout to verify enemy contact...

.

.

.

I moved my head and I saw that an entire bulkhead had been torn from the ship and I was floating freely. I activated my internal guidance systems, I looked at the stars and waited for a match, in a few seconds I had a lock, we were exactly where we wanted to be, the destroyed colony.

"great, it worked." I said to myself.

I activated the magnetics in my feet, pulling me down to nearest bulkhead, once there I walked toward the missing bulk head. I stuck my head outside the ship to take a look, I tried to survey the damage, it would have been a long process, except for the fact that only a quarter of the ship was left.

"Fuck." I said to myself.

Luckily the section of the ship that remained contained the A.I. Core. I Looked to the debris field it was some distance away. I walked along the wall as the bulkhead that was missing had contained the floor, I nervously went to Elora's core, it was intact but lacked any power source.

I walked to the door and tried to open it, when it wouldn't budge I simple walked toward the now missing floor and went around to the room beyond, I could see chunks of the ship floating freely away from us. We needed to get to the debris field, unfortunately I had plotted a course that took us clear of it by several thousand miles just to be safe, I supposed it could have been worse we could of slammed into the field upon exiting the wormhole.

I spent several days securing the remains of the Endurance, making sure Elora's core was safe. My plan now was to get to the derelicts and salvage what I could, I loaded a case with the supply's I might need, I secured a nanowire around the remains of the ship, the cord was amazingly strong yet almost invisible it was the same material used for orbital elevators so I knew it would work; it spooled from a safety harness backpack that created the cord as it went, it had enough material to span several hundred thousand miles.

I walked on the outside of the hull, I looked up calculating the thrust I would need, My target was a large Earth battleship. It appeared to be one of the more intact vessels, it was twice the length of the battleships of the time the Endurance was built. I checked my equipment making sure the backpack was ready, I braced myself against the hull and leapt, I fired my built in thrusters to adjust my angle, at the rate I was flying it would take 22 days for me to reach the ship.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.