The Occasional Mind Reader
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2009 by Cold Creek

Brian woke up early Wednesday in a terrific mood, he had a date with his dream girl for lunch and he felt better than ever physically. He popped into the shower and then had some breakfast before deciding to go for a walk. He headed out of the apartment and rode the elevator down to the main floor where he got his mail before leaving the building. He walked to the park and sat down on a bench and enjoyed the sunshine and fresh air. He sorted his mail, put aside the bills and opened a letter from a legal firm from New York, curious why they would have any interest in him.

He read the letter through and then sat there in shock for a few minutes. He pulled out his cell and called his mother.

"Hi Mom, how are you?" he asked.

"Good Brian and you?" she asked.

"I'm feeling better every day and healing up fine" he replied.

"That's good to hear Brian. So what has made you call your old mom at 8:30 in the morning?" she asked.

"Oh, sorry about that Mom, I didn't even look at the clock yet today, I just got up in a good mood and headed out to the park" he apologized to her. "I've got some good news and some interesting news for you."

"Ok, hit me with the good news first" she said.

"I have a lunch date with Heather today and a real date with her Saturday night as well!" he informed her.

"Wonderful news Brian, she is a real sweetheart as well as a very beautiful young lady. If it wasn't for her mother she would be a perfect catch as any man could ever hope for" she replied.

"Well, the mother might not be a problem after I tell you the interesting news next" he told her.

"Oh, is she changing her tune about you? That's surprising news" she said.

"Well she might if I told her about what I just got in the mail" he said.

"What did you get in the mail?" she asked.

"An interesting letter" he responded.

"Is this twenty questions son? You can tell me the story all at once without me having to pull it out of you piecemeal" she said peeved.

"Sorry Mom, I just received the letter this morning requesting my presence in New York on my 25th birthday this Friday, or as quickly thereafter, to discuss the trust fund set up by a Mr. and Mrs. Ross of New York, New York" he told her.

"They didn't" she said with a gasp.

"I gather that the Ross's are my grandparents?" he asked her.

"Yes Brian, they are. Your grandparents own a good portion of New York City, the expensive parts. I'm surprised they set something up for you, it's not like them to part with their money" she remarked.

"So, what should I do about this? I don't like how they treated you or Dad all these years. I'm not sure if I want to get involved with them now" he told her.

"I'm afraid that this is your call son, you are an adult and will have to make this decision on your own. Is there anything else in the letter?" she asked.

"It gives me a contact name and number to call to set up the appointment, but that's about it Mom" he informed her. "I don't know why they just can't send me it rather than having to spend time and money to go to New York. I wonder how they found me in the first place."

"Brian, unless I'm way off, the trust fund will be a bit too large just to send you a simple check in the mail" she said dryly. "Secondly, my parents probably had someone checking up on us since I left, or they simply hired a detective to find you."

"Wow, imagine having that much money but not wanting to be involved in their only daughter's life. It's sad really how they have so much but don't have what is really important in life. I wouldn't be surprised they set up this trust fund out of a sense of duty rather than really caring about either of us" he said.

"I've long given up trying to rationalize their actions Brian" she said. "My suggestion is to think long and hard before accepting their money, especially if it comes with any strings, conditions or stipulations. If it isn't a simple transfer of funds to you, then you better have a lawyer look everything over to be safe. I would also advise you to not tell anyone, including Heather or Terry about this, until you have it all safely put away in an untouchable institution."

"I don't know any lawyers, especially in New York. This is a bit different then what I'm used to at work. I don't suppose you know anyone in New York that you would trust?" he asked.

"No I don't Brian, sorry" his mom replied.

"I'm going to have to wing it when I'm there then" he stated. "I have to hope they wouldn't set something up just to put a lot of conditions on it. If there is I'll walk away from it and come back here. I'm only going to go up Thursday night and then come back Friday. I'm not missing my first date with Heather for anything."

"Ok it sounds like you've made up your mind to see what it's all about. I want you to keep me in the loop; call me back after you've talked to the contact person and we'll talk some more" she instructed him.

"I will Mom, and thanks for your help and advice" Brian said.

"Anytime Brian, we all need help sometime" she replied. "Talk to you soon."

Brian hung up and decided to head back to the apartment before calling them. He got back to the apartment and, before calling them, looked up some flights on Thursday and coming back Friday night or Saturday morning and jotted a few times and flight numbers. Finally he looked up the law firm and checked out their website. They were an old established firm with a few partners and many associates. The contact name was the last name of the list of partners so the trust fund was being handled by a partner rather than an associate.

He picked up his apartment phone and dialled the number.

"Hello, Ravenhurst Law Firm, how may I direct your call?" the receptionist asked.

"S. Burns please" he said.

"One moment please" she said.

He waited for a minute listening to some music until another woman came on the line.

"Hello, Miss Burn's office, how may I help you?" she asked.

"I would like to talk to Miss Burns please" he said.

"May I ask who is calling please?" she asked.

"Brian Trainer" he responded.

"I moment Sir, I will see if Miss Burns is available" she said and the music came on again.

A third woman's voice came on the phone and said "Hello, this is Stacy Burns, how are you Mr. Trainer?"

"Fine thank you Miss Burns and you?" he asked.

"I'm doing fine as well. Thank you for calling us so promptly. Would you be available to meet with me on Friday when the terms of the trust come into effect?" she asked.

"Can you let me know some information about all of this please?" he asked. "This is the first I've heard of any of this so I need more information before I can commit to spending time and money on this, whatever this is."

"Before I can, can you answer a couple of questions to confirm your identity please?" she asked.

"Sure" he said.

"What are your middle name and your mother's middle name?"

"Michael and Alice" he answered.

"Thank you Mr. Trainer. I am authorized to tell you enough to convince you of the authenticity of the trust so you will come to New York to hear the details" she said.

"That sounds good Miss Burns" Brian responded.

"When you were born, your maternal Grandparent's commissioned the Ravenhurst Law firm to set up a trust fund for you, which would be made available to you on or after your 25th birthday. This firm set up the legal documents and contracted out the accounting and investing of the annual annuity that the Ross's had set to be put into the trust. The fund has been growing for the last 25 years at about a ten percent rate compounded annually. Obviously there have been good years and lean years so ten percent is an average" she informed him.

"I gather that if you need both an accountant and an investment firm that we are talking more than a few thousand dollars?" he asked.

She laughed out loud and replied when she finally stopped "I'm not authorized to tell you the amount that the trust fund is worth until Friday Mr. Trainer, but let me just say that my job for the last three years has been entirely dedicated to your fund and dealing with the asset acquisitions. Your fund keeps approximately ten people employed full time. The last six months an additional two people have been employed just to be ready for Friday."

Brian didn't know what to say. It was too much to take in so suddenly. He laughed as he thought of something.

"If you don't mind me asking Mr. Trainer, why are you laughing?" Miss Burns asked.

"I was having a good week so far and thought I should buy a lottery ticket earlier this morning. I was laughing thinking I really didn't need to do that now if what you're saying is all true" he told her.

"That would be correct Mr. Trainer, it would a drop in the bucket so to speak" she agreed.

"Ok, are there any conditions or stipulations put on the trust fund?" he asked.

"None what so ever" she replied. "It is yours to do with as you please as soon as you sign a few documents taking over ownership of the trust. My suggestion is that you do not make any rash decisions on the trust but listen to expert advice before diving head first into this. There are some tax implications that should be discussed before you take ownership at the least. At a minimum, there is a slush account that you will have immediate access to for any, how should we say it, impulse buying you wish to do."

"That sounds like excellent advice" he said. "How are all of the companies paid that handle the trust fund right now, and how does that change on Friday?"

"Your Grandparents paid the bills for the first five years. After that, the fund took over paying the companies a fixed percentage of the profits. It gave all participants incentive to do well in our stewardship of your fund. It will be your decision going forward on how the companies will be involved" she informed him.

"Have my Grandparents been involved in any capacity other than setting it up and funding it?" he asked.

"Your grandparents were kept fully informed on all acquisitions with yearly reports. They have the veto power on any major decisions" she informed him.

"Do they wish to meet me?" he asked.

"They would like very much to meet you but it is not a requirement to you receiving the trust fund" she responded.

"Is there any reason that you know of for me to be concerned about coming forward and accepting this?" he asked, not knowing if what she said would be honest.

"Your life will change totally Mr. Trainer. You will not have to work again, you will have to have some type of personal security, and you might even become somewhat of a celebrity. There are ways to avoid some of that with some careful pre-planning. We have a few scenarios for you to review on Friday" she said.

"Are you working for my Grandparents, your company's or my best interests?" he asked her.

"The firm worked for your Grandparents for the first five years, since then we have worked for the trust with the stewardship from your Grandparents. Once you take over we would like to continue working for you. Everyone has been working for your best interests and would continue to do so" she informed him.

"Ok, I've heard enough to know that I need to come to New York on Friday. I will be at your office first thing in the morning, what time is convenient to start Miss Burns?" he asked.

"Is eight early enough for you Mr. Trainer?" she responded.

"Yes, that will be fine. Can we finish this by the afternoon?" he inquired.

"It depends on what you wish to do. If you are simply going to sign documents transferring the ownership to you and have all of the same companies continue their stewardship, then you could be done by the afternoon. If you wish to review all of the acquisitions and assets, or make any changes, or not continue with any of the companies, then one day would not be sufficient; a week would not be sufficient Mr. Trainer" she informed him.

"Do I have to take control on Friday? Could I instead have time to review the information and make an informed decision?" he asked.

"Yes, you can have time, the trust states that on or anytime after your twenty fifth birthday you can take over. You cannot review anything until then but you will have access to all of the information starting Friday to make any decisions. You are free to ask any question of any person working for you. We will all be available at any time; we work for you Mr. Trainer. Our companies have had a mutual goal to work for your benefit and everyone involved is eager to continue working for you" she replied.

"Can I have some people with me reviewing the information?" he asked.

"Of course, please feel free to bring whoever you wish, we know you don't know us but we hope you will come to see that you will be able to trust that everyone involved has and will continue to act in your best interests" she told him.

"Ok, can you set up a Thursday evening meeting with my grandparents please? I will fly in Thursday morning and I have to fly out no later than Saturday late morning. I have to be back here for a Saturday evening commitment" he informed her.

"A date with Miss Simon perhaps Mr. Trainer?" she asked. "Perhaps you could bring her along to New York instead? I'm sure your Grandparents would like to meet your girlfriend. She could be escorted around while you are tied up but we would make sure you found plenty of time to see some sights with her while you were here."

"How do you know about her, we haven't even had a date yet?" he asked angrily.

"Your grandparents wished to know about you but not anger you or your mother so they commissioned a private detective agency to monitor both of you from afar. They observed and reported back on a monthly basis to us and we passed it on. Interactions with others were of course relayed back to us. Any multiple interactions were investigated for your safety though there has never been any action needed to be taken. The investigator unfortunately could not intervene fast enough on the carjacking incident two weeks ago. We have changed that to include a security function whenever you are out of your apartment building."

"This sounds like something out of a novel, I can't believe this" he said.

"I know Mr. Trainer; it must come as a shock. Please believe me, you have always been important to your Grandparents but the relationship breakdown with your mother made them handle things from afar. I must say that you had us all worried about you the last couple of weeks. We are greatly relieved that you pulled through with flying colours" she added. "So, shall I send the plane for you and your guests tomorrow morning? We have your condo ready for you and we can of course set up any and all guests in the floor below, which we have left open for your disposal."

"A plane, a condo and a whole floor below?" he asked stunned.

"Mr. Trainer, I will explain all tomorrow to you when you arrive. Please leave yourself in our hands and we will make all of the arrangements. A car will pick you up at 8:00am sharp at your apartment building and will drive to Miss Simon's house to pick her up and then to any other address you wish to go to in order to pick up your guests. The plane will leave when you get there and we will take care of everything at this end. Remember, we work for you and have been since you were born."

"Ok, set up the trip, I will call back with who I might be bringing later today" he said.

"Please right this phone number down, it's my personal cell" she said.

He jotted it down and thanked her for her help.

"One last question, what do you know about the relationship between my Mother and my Grandparents?" he asked.

"I've only been involved with your trust for three years so I only have second hand knowledge that I can share. Your Grandparents did not approve of your Father and wouldn't let your Mother get married to him. When she was 18 they eloped and got married. Your Grandparents refused to have anything to do with your parents and disowned her. I think time has mellowed their feelings and I do know they care for you very much. They were very upset when I had to tell them about the attack" she said.

"What are their feelings about seeing my Mother now?" he asked.

"I do not know the answer to that. Do you wish me to ask them?" she inquired.

"Yes, I do not know if she would like to but I would like to know if they would be agreeable if she is" he said.

"I will ask them as soon as we are done with this call and will also confirm the Thursday evening with them. Can I reach you at your apartment or do you have a cell number?" she asked.

He gave her his cell number as an alternative if he couldn't be reached in the apartment and then they hung up. This was unbelievable he thought as he dialled his mother back on his cell.

"Hey Mom" he said.

"Hello Brian. Well how did it go?" she asked.

"I guess they set up a substantial trust fund for me when I was born and added to it every year. They set it up with a legal firm and they got an accounting and an investment firm into it. Ten people full time are dedicated to this trust fund I gather. They want to send the plane for me tomorrow and put me in my condo. They have a lower floor for any of my guests that I want to bring. I asked to see my Grandparents tomorrow night and also asked if they wanted to see you if you wanted to see them. The lawyer, a Miss Stacy Burns, is calling them up and will call me back soon.

What else, oh yeah, they've had private detectives watching me and reporting back monthly. Now, after the carjacking they have changed it to security. They know about Heather and invited her to New York. I can bring in anybody I want to look over the trust fund. I think they want me to keep it with them obviously as they all make a percentage off the fund to manage it."

"Well, I never knew they cared so much. I always thought they would shun you because of their feelings towards what we had done. I'm happy for you but you need to keep a clear head on this. We raised you to be a hard worker with common sense. The kind of money we are talking about here is very seductive to someone with nothing. I've seen people go out of control and hurt everyone around them. Keep your cool and think with your head before doing anything. Treat people like you want to be treated, like we brought you up to act.

I've been thinking about whether I would want to see them after 25 years. I don't know yet. I will let you know latter today and we can make arrangements then."

"Listen Mom, I'll have them make arrangements as if you are going. I could use your help there even if you don't want to meet your parents with me, ok?" he asked.

"Ok Brian, I'll go with you. Thanks for thinking about your old Mom" she said.

"You're not old; you are still a beautiful woman Mom, in the prime of your life. I'll call you back with all the information. Be ready to be picked up at the airport early in the morning ok?"

"Ok son. Now, what about Heather? Do you think she can handle this?" she asked.

"She's more used to money than I am. I could use her there as much as you. She went to school for Business Administration so she would help with some of the accounting stuff. I will ask her at lunch and see if she will come" he decided.

"Ok, I like her and she will hopefully keep you grounded" she agreed. "You're going to be fawned over by these people to try and keep the trust fund under their control. Don't get separated from at least one of us at all times. Don't sign anything until we read it. I wish we had a lawyer we could trust. See what Heather thinks about that, she's no dummy that one."

"Ok Mom, thanks for all of the help. I'll call you with their answer so you know, but prepare to go even if they say no ok?" he instructed her.

"Ok Brian. Talk to you soon" she agreed and hung up.

He grabbed a drink and thought some more about this development in his life. Brian hoped Heather would be ok with this, so early in their relationship. He needed a friend in New York with him.

The phone rang and he picked it up.

"Hello" he said.

"Mr. Trainer, its Stacy Burns. I have talked to your Grandparents and they have happily agreed to see both you and your mother tomorrow evening at their condo. We will have a limo standing by at all times for your use. Have you ascertained whether your mother will join you?" she asked.

"That's good news Miss Burns. Please call me Brian. I have just talked to my Mother. I've asked her to join me in New York and she has agreed. She is thinking about the actual visit with her parents but will accompany me to your office. I haven't had time to ask Heather yet. I'll let you know that this afternoon and anyone else I will bring with me. Can you arrange for the plane to pick my mother up at her airport after we're on board please?" he asked.

"Certainly Brian we will handle all the details. Tell your mother a car will pick her up at eight as well so she has no issues with parking. Is there anything else I can do for you this morning?" she asked.

"Can you have the security personnel meet me in the lobby in fifteen minutes so I know who is watching over me please? Will any of them be joining me on the trip?" he asked.

"I will have them come in and wait in the lobby. There will be three gentlemen and they will address you with your middle name and give you your Mother's middle name and my name so you know who they are. They will not be joining you on the airplane. Our own security will meet the plane with me tomorrow morning. Is that satisfactory Brian?"

"You are very efficient Miss Burns. Thank you for everything. I will talk to you this afternoon" he replied.

"It is my pleasure Brian. Call me anytime you need something" she said.

"Ok, will do. Bye." He replied and hung up.

Brian grabbed his keys and his cap and headed down to the lobby after quickly changing his clothes for his luncheon date. Three well built men were in the small alcove waiting for him. He opened the door as one of the men came close.

Mr. Trainer, a Miss Stacy Burns asked us to introduce ourselves to you so here we are. I'm Bob, this is Henry and last and least is Mario" he said.

"Bob, can you tell me my mother's middle name and my own please? Brian asked.

"Certainly, your mother's middle name is Alice and yours is Michael" Bob replied.

"Good. I just wanted to meet you so I wouldn't be paranoid if I happened to see you. What kind of car do you have?" he asked.

"We're driving a GM black Tahoe Mr. Trainer" Bob answered.

"I'll be driving to Sam's restaurant now to meet Miss Heather Simon. I wish your protection to include her as well please." He instructed them.

"Yes Sir. Do you wish us to put a security detail on her as well?" he asked.

"Yes, I do, until we are on the plane tomorrow. I will inform Miss Burns this afternoon about the additional task, but please make sure it is in place when she leaves the restaurant after lunch" Brian instructed them.

"Yes Sir. Anything else?" Bob asked.

"Yes, call me Brian" he said with a grin.

"Ok Brian, you shouldn't see us but we'll be close by. When you come back from New York we will sit down and devise a more detailed security plan with you for you and Miss Simon" he said.

"Ok Bob, now if I don' get going, you're going to have to protect me from Miss Simon's wrath, and frankly, I don't know if you have enough men" Brian said.

"I know we don't so let's get you there on time" he said as they all grinned.

Brian shut the door and walked down to the garage and got in his car. He pulled out slowly and watched for their Tahoe to pull out, but he didn't see it. He never did see them until at the restaurant where he saw Bob and Mario were having lunch at a table.

He pulled into the parking lot and looked around for her but didn't see her. He was on time so he went inside and found her chatting away with Sammi.

"Hello Ladies, you two are looking very beautiful today" Brian said with a smile.

"Hello Brian, you are looking very dapper as well" said Sammi. "Trying to impress my girl here?"

"I need all the help I can get to do that. She doesn't impress easily" Brian laughed.

"Humph, after yesterday's fiasco, clothes aren't going to be enough Mister" she said crossing her arms under her beautiful breasts.

"Doesn't she look beautiful even with that frown Sammi? I'm the luckiest guy in the world to have her agree to meet me for lunch. I'm going to have to come up with something fantastic to get her to forgive my behaviour yesterday" he said.

"You have to admit he's trying girlfriend" she said to Heather.

"Words are cheap Sammi, actions are required" Heather insisted.

"Ok, come with me to New York for a few days Heather. I'll pick you up in the morning with the limo and we'll fly in my plane and stay in my downtown New York condo" he said with a straight face.

"I'd say that's a pretty good action girl!" Sammi said laughing.

"I would too if any of it was true. I give him marks for creativity though" Heather joined in the laughter.

"You wound me Ladies, I'm serious, I'll pick you up at home about 8:30 tomorrow morning and we'll fly to New York. I'm hoping we can be back for Saturday afternoon for our chaperone duties with Terry and Sammi here" he said with a straight face.

"Yeah right, Brian, you're so full of bull" Heather said.

"Alright, don't say I didn't warn you tomorrow morning. I'm only going to give you ten minutes to pack when I get there so I suggest you pack tonight just in case" he said. "Now, can I take you to lunch now, my dear?"

"Alright, let's have lunch; you must be having a relapse from all your wounds with your fantasies you're spouting on about. Sammi, you better put us away from everyone in case he starts acting a bit crazy" Heather told her.

"Ok, girl, but I think you should pack tonight just in case" she said as she led them to a private alcove.

"Now, no fighting you two and try to keep some clothes on back here, at least until I come around. I wouldn't mind seeing your hunk with a few less clothes Heather" she said with a grin.

"Oh hush girl, you're going to make his head swell" Heather replied.

"Thanks Sammi, this is just the spot I need to convince her to forgive me" Brian told her.

"Good luck with that" Sammi said before leaving.

Brian looked over at Heather and said "Heather, I'm really sorry about my part in yesterday's trick. I shouldn't have gone along with it. You mean more to me than my job and I should have told you immediately. I hope you can forgive me in time" he said with feeling.

"Thank you for apologizing Brian, I forgive you now. I know you were trying to go along with my Dad. I'm not mad at you anymore. We need to get to know each other better so there aren't any surprises, that's all" she said with a smile.

"I agree. So let's decide what to eat and then I'll tell you my life story, ok?" he said with a smile back.

"Deal" she agreed.

They perused the menu and agreed on their choices and let Sammi know when she came to get their order.

"Hey, not much action back here yet you two. Have you begged yet Brian? That might help" she asked.

"She's been gracious enough to forgive me. Now we need to get to know each other before any action can happen Sammi, sorry" Brian replied.

"Fine, but I better see some action on our Saturday date" she said before walking away.

"She's something else" Brian said.

"Yes, I'm glad she's back. I've missed these past years when we both at school. She'll be good for Terry, she won't put up with his crap. She's tough when she has to be and she's not as innocent as she plays at with her Dad" Heather informed him.

"Good, he needs a firm hand now" he said in agreement.

They talked all through lunch, with Brian telling her his life story except for the part about the Grandparents. She told her about her childhood as well. It was a very good getting to know one another session and they felt comfortable together when they were both done.

"Some dessert my friends?" Sammi asked.

"No, I'm full" replied Heather.

"Can we get a piece of cake to share? We need a few more minutes to discuss our trip" Brian asked.

"Of course, I'll be back in a bit" she said.

"Brian, why are you still talking about that? I forgive you silly!" she said.

"I was honest about my past except for two things that I found out about last Friday and this morning. I need you to hear them and you'll understand" he told her.

"Ok, tell me what happened Friday" she directed him.

"My mom told me her parents; my maternal Grandparents were still alive and were well off. She was pissed at your mom for thinking you were too good for me because of your family's money. 'My father could buy your dad's company with his pocket change' I think was how she put it. I guess they didn't like my Dad so my parents eloped and she was disowned. She hasn't seen them since" Brian told her.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.