Act of War S.O.S. Book 2 - Cover

Act of War S.O.S. Book 2

Copyright© 2009 by dak

Chapter 10

Intrepid City.

Education District.

Coral had surprised me, I had thought we would go to another important monument, or some military base something that would impress upon me the advanced technology of this place, instead she had took me to the education center of the city, and like most college areas the universe over it was ripe with bars and night clubs on the outskirts. She had brought me to a standard college pub, and despite the difference in the genetics it would appear that college students everywhere had the love of fermented beverages down pat.

"I come here every time I got to learn a new career." Coral said knocking back a drink.

I nodded to her and took an experimental sip of my drink.

"Reminds me of a pub I used to visit when I was at academy." I said.

She smiled at me.

"How long ago was that?" She asked.

"About 6 years now." I said.

She nodded.

"I've been a doctor for awhile, I am thinking of switching up again, ill get to spend more time here." She said.

"Whats it like Coral? Having all that time to decide what to do?" I asked thinking I wouldn't mind it.

She got a far away look.

"Well it depends, we have some career choices, we have free enterprise here and we earn credits we can use for goods, but the thing is we can live as long as we want, we have all the time to accumulate the things we desire, my mother and father are original villagers like the Governor, that generation was all about defense of this world and the universe." She said.

She took another drink from her cup.

"You see with my parents remembering what it was like with the insects around, that what they called them, they are all gun-ho about me joining the defense force, they wanted me to be a captain of a dreadnaught or something, but my generation and the ones after me are starting to branch out, try different things, but I do have to decide what to do sooner than later, I need to have children to support the growth, to my parents I am kind of a failure no children and not a fleet captain, so there is still a time crunch to decide, just on a longer scale." She said looking at her beer.

I couldn't help it I started laughing.

"I don't think its funny." She said frowning.

I shook my head.

"Oh god no Coral, you just sound like me is all, except my dad wanted me to be in the infantry, and mom wanted me to be in the fleet, and well they both want grand kids." I said laughing.

She nodded and started laughing to.

"See we are all just people." She said drinking more of her drink.

I nodded slowly, starting to see why she had brought me here.

"You know I would love to have some of the advantages you have on this world, the A.I. thing scares me though, and the Golems." I said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.