Kat the Hunter
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2009 by Bad Writer

A couple of hours of practice and Kat was able to ride the spyder with no problems. She was worried by the fact that not only did she not have a motorcycle license she didn't even have a driver's license. Only a little over a month ago she had been going to school for that when she was hit by the bus. Mr. Brown said he would have the relevant documents sent to her Uncle's house no later than tomorrow. So no speeding or other obvious bad driving till then.

Riding along in the morning light felt like such a treat to Katherine, the sky so blue the autumn air crisp. It was great to feel the temperature change as she rode over bridges or came out from under trees, it was something you didn't notice in a car. That and all the smells could find their way to you when you weren't confined by steel and glass. She was already in love with her new vehicle after only one ride, God did she owe Uncle George thanks. She was surprised to find herself on the sister's campus after her aimless wandering came to an end.

Set back from the road, it sprawled over a few acres of gently rolling country. The convent, church and school all within easy walking distance of each other. How could she not stop now that she was here? Parking near the entrance to the school Katherine almost changed her mind when she looked down at her bright blue leathers. It was only Sister Eliza spotting her and waving that kept Kat from hopping back on her trike and leaving. With head hung a little low and dark bangs hiding her eyes she walking up to her old sparing partner. A light touch to her cheek made her look up into a smiling face.

You look well. I like your bike. Take me for a ride later? Sister Eliza signed.

"Anytime, you look good too. I don't know why I'm here. I was just riding around and sorta ended up at the school. I should go." Kat mumbled.

If you came here without trying then maybe this is where you should be. Why not say hello to Mother Emma before you leave?

"Well, I can't exactly sneak away now that you've seen me. I can't go see her like this though." Kat said gesturing at her new clothes.

Nothing wrong with protectors, it shows you have sense when riding. Unlike those organ donors I see sometimes. Shirt, shorts, and the smallest helmet the law allows.

"When you put it that way, I guess I'm not too badly dressed. You think Mother has time to see me?"

Sister Eliza didn't bother to answer just grabbed Katherine's hand and started off at a fast pace for the offices. It was hard to remember that Eliza was almost twice Kat's age and was close to two decades into her devotion. Even through the hemp weave of her outfit she could taste the simple bubblegum joy of the sister, it was muted but to be able to taste anything through the plant fibers and in sunlight no less was surprising. The offices of Mother Emma hadn't changed and neither had she, it didn't seem right to Kat for things to be the same when she had changed so much.

"Katherine, my dear, how are you?" Asked the head of the order as she came around her desk. She hugged the teen without commenting on her garb as if she had just stopped by after class. In a flash Kat was sitting with tea and cookies close at hand, Mother Emma leaning her elbows on the desk towards Kat. It was a simple sign of maternal affection leaving the young woman with no doubt about how Emma felt.

"I see you are adjusting to life away from school. It's good that you are up to visiting people. I was concerned after your Uncle called to say you had been in an accident a little while ago."

Kat stopped breathing for a bit at the mention of her accident, what had George told Mother Emma? Was she about to be crucified, burned? It surprised her to realize that she wasn't scared so much as worried that she had disappointed the women who raised her. They were the closest people she had to mothers, some closer than others. If they attacked her or threw her out it would be like waking up in the morgue all over again. The only thing that stopped her from a breakdown was the diminished emotions she felt when her heart stopped beating.

"Kathrine dear, you must remember to breathe, it will unnerve people if they notice it."

"Huh? You know ... about me?"

"Dear we've known about your potential since the day George brought you here. It was our mission, and joy to give you foundation for life just like the rest of the young ladies here. We could hardly do that without knowing about the possibility for problems. Though I must say, you've really done well. I am just as proud of you now as when you left."

A weight lifted from Katherine's shoulders that she hadn't even been aware of till now. More and more was she learning that she wasn't alone in the world. Without consciously thinking of it her heart started up again, maybe it had to just to be able to cry in relief. They talked more after that about general things that had happened since she left. Not even with their new closeness was she ready to admit to having worked in a bar for the past month or the fight that caused it to happen, but Kat did have the feeling that Mother Emma knew anyway.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.