Golem - Cover

Golem

Copyright© 2009 by dak

Chapter 15

The Directors Assistant ran through the corridors of the base, he had been ordered to get a status report on the damage through out the base, that was however not what he was doing, he had to get to cold storage before they pulled the Golem from it. He reached the door for the vault seeing the guard was gone, thank god he thought as they still must be outside the base for the evacuation order, waved his badge over the sensor at the door and watched it slide inside, he shivered at the blast of cold air from the room. It was where they stored any biological samples they needed for experiments, he walked through the vault until he reached a section containing several large cylinders, each one designed to keep the biological systems of the Golems in stasis until they needed them.

He looked for the right chamber, he found the one containing the soldier golem, he noticed that it had twice the back up systems of the other chamber, he checked the console looking over the A.I. That had been installed on it he knew that all the extra software was to keep the Golems free will in check, he did have much time, he had to do something, he knew the full military design of this one would destroy the first Golem. He typed into the console trying to figure out anything he could do, 30 minutes later he left the chamber hoping it would be enough.

Back in the control room.

"Ma'am, it seems the energy from the explosion has gone along way to stabilize the worm hole, at the rate of decay I would say we have several hours to send the payload through."

The director nodded to the Lead scientist.

"Good, I want you to install the special databases in the A.I. Of the payload, once it retrieves the first Golem it will need to reprogram it, that is the first priority, I want them both to establish a base of operations on the other side, they will need to appropriate a labor source for the mining we will need to have done."

The director smiled, soon her company would change the course of human history, the director walked over to one of the consoles and began to unlock the encryption on the special data bases the Golem would need, each program was designed to help the Golem establish itself on the other side. She had had several historical scholars work on what needed to be done, the Golem would subjugate a human work force of slave labor to establish a base in the Arctic, once it was set up the Company would send a group of researches and soldiers to the other side.

She planed to be in that group, here anyone caught using nanites on live human subjects would be imprisoned, on the other side she was free to use the full scope of technology that the world thought too dangerous, she absently noted as her Assistant came back in looking flustered, She had not decided if she would share the benefits of the new world with him. He was surprisingly loyal however it might be worth it.

The only thing her scientist had not been able to tell her was when the changes to the time line would take effect, all of it was theory, the results from the probe had been almost useless besides letting them know that the first Golem probably had been disabled, she would wait until the second golem had started the base before sending the first group of scientist over the theory was that the timeline would change the instant the first group was through, they had to hurry, she supposed though that she could always detonate the rest of the reactors to make the wormhole large enough for her needs, they had a specialized set of aircrafts that would be sent once the hole was large enough anyway.


Laura

I had curled up in a ball to prepare for impact, I had already ordered the nanites in Entoch system to protect his brain and heart, they where working on keeping them preserved. I hit the ground hard, flopping and rolling unceremoniously to a stop several yards from Entoch, I crawled to his body, sitting next to him. I winced at what I saw, his lower half was burnt almost to a crisp, I could see his bones in his upper thigh.

Tears came to my eyes, I did not know exactly what I could do to save him, I placed a hand on his forehead and on his chest, I injected a massive amount of nanites into his body ordering them to preserver his brain and begin to repair his body, as I was doing that static filled my vision suddenly I was engulfed in blackness


//A.I. Subroutines engaged

I was in the dream state again, floating in darkness, I began to panic I needed to get out of here and back to Entoch.

"Laura do not fear, time does not pass here the same way as it does out there"

I saw the other me approach me, she waved her hand around.

"All this is thanks to the wonders of quantum computing, time is practically frozen out there."

I nodded calming down.

"Why am I back here?"

She smiled.

"You needed me, an event that you experienced out there triggered the activation of me"

I frowned.

"So am I really talking to you are a recording?" she shook her head.

"I am an A.I. Left by my creator, some of the programs given you allow you to access a sort of in between dimension, where quantum storage of data and processes take place, that is where I reside, your brain through a quark of how you came to be can access this dimension, although not yet consciously"

I nodded.

"Ok, so how can you help me?" she waved her hand and a diagnostic of Entoch and Shanor appeared.

"He is dying Laura, in his current state he will not survive, the nanites will not be able to regenerate his biological body, Her organs have far to much radiation damage, both would be crippled at best"

I couldn't help it tears began to form in my eyes, she came over and hugged me.

"Its okay Laura, its not your fault, we can save him though."

She let go and pointed at the model of Entoch that was floating there.

"You did well to preserve his brain, the nanites can keep them alive as long as we want."

I frowned.

"To what end?"

She smiled at me and waved her hand, some files in my head unlocked, a schematic for a cybernetic body appeared.

"With enough material the nanites can supplement their biological needs with mechanical systems."

I looked over the schematics.

"Ill need to find a lot of raw materials..."

The other me nodded.

"You haven't picked it up yet?"

I looked at her.

"Picked up what?"

She smiled.

"What ever caused this explosion, it scattered metal across the landscape, you will have to get the children to a secure locations, then come back for the debris."

I nodded as I was looking over the design for the body.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.