Golem
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2009 by dak

The Shaman

Several miles outside the village the shaman stumbled, the demon had come to his village and taken over. He had no idea what evil purpose the demon wanted his village for but he was sure it involved the strange tribe. He had certainly underestimated their strength. Had he known the strange ones had demon allies he would have been more cautious with his plans.

His wrist ached from his wound, he had gathered some herbs to dull the pain, but the ache was growing. He had followed the river, knowing of a larger village some way down. He would, hopefully, be able to enlist their aid in cleansing his village. He settled down for the night, kneeling by the river he prayed for the spirits for guidance on what to do, he prayed for their aid. He asked them to only show him a sign that his plans would succeed for saving his old village.

The sonic boom came from the north, the shaman looked up to the sky seeing a falling star. Surely this was the sign he had been waiting for. He watched as the star kept getting closer to him. He stood in awe of it. The Spirits were going to aid him. He felt the warmth of the spirits envelop him, it would be the last thing he ever felt before the probe created a crater a few feet from him.

The Future

"Ma'am the problem is that this isn't a normal wormhole. The power requirements of opening this one are greater than anything we have ever seen. Even at max power output we can only open it for a second at most. Even then we risk blowing every generator within 200 miles. The last test caused a black-out on the west coast. We do know we landed a probe though, however the tether was severed the instant we sent it through."

The Director nodded to the lead scientist. "How do we know it went through?"

The scientist looked at the Director. "Because a few minutes after we lost contact we picked it up again on the African continent. We have dispatched a team to retrieve it. From the data we've got so far, the memory has been maxed out on it for the past 5000 years. Once we get it in the lab we can get a better estimates on how long it was there."

The Director stared at the scientist for a few moments. "You are saying that this probe has been there this whole time and we never picked it up?"

The scientist nodded. "Yes Ma'am, you see we couldn't look for it until we sent it out. The way the tether works is that we can't pick it up until we activate it and only the home unit can see the signal. It's all very secure. It's one of the reasons they work over any distance in the galaxy, quantum physics and all that."

The director rubbed her temples. "So we know that it is very possible that the Golem made it through now and that if Sumner's memories are in the Golem, that we have, in the past, a rogue factor out of our control which could possibly alter the timeline?"

The scientist paled a little. "Ma'am, to be honest with you, this is all new. We wrote time travel off as fiction once we discovered actual wormholes. From our understanding, the physics didn't work so we really don't know anything about what is possible or not, We need more people on this. We need to get some colleges involved as well as some foreign resources on this. The power requirements alone could cause an international incident. Governments will think we are working on a new type of super weapon or something. If they find out what we have before we disclose this they might attack us."

The Director looked at the scientist glumly. "If you haven't noticed Doctor, WE ARE working on a new super weapon now, with this tech we could wipe other governments off the map before they even have a chance to form. YOU can leave now."

The scientist frowned and turned leaving, the Director's assistant stepped in. "Ma'am?"

The director looked at the map behind her desk. "Get my jet ready. We have to go to the White House."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.