Thibadeau the Pirate - Cover

Thibadeau the Pirate

Copyright© 2009 by happyhugo

Chapter 6

Work was beginning to trickle in. I had two house inspections and a title search the first part of the week. Wednesday I just had to see Sarah, so I called and made arrangements to meet her at the diner for lunch. It cracked me up to see the little sign that stated Sarah Bernhardt dines here. The place was packed when I entered. Sarah and Tim were seated in a booth and there was a waitress hovering around. As I sat down, Tim shook my hand. He didn't give me a chance to more than say hello to Sarah before his questions started about Prissy. In the telling, a little more than I would have liked came out about Katie, my former girlfriend. To finish it off, I just said that Prissy and Katie had been close friends and she had become one of mine when I moved in with Katie. Sarah questioned, "Sounds as if you were serious with this woman?"

"I thought so at the time, but when I asked her to marry me, she turned me down and then I could see that our relationship was more of a convenience than true love. The next time I propose, I will make certain I love the woman deeply before I ask."

"Well, I'm glad it wasn't Prissy. I'm seeing her next weekend and I'm hoping very often after that. Actually we both will be working in Boston, so we can be together as much as we want."

"How are you getting home from here?"

"Dad and Mom are driving up and I'm going back with them. They want to see this property that Sis is so crazy about. The cellar hole was dug this week. I think there was a building there before, for the digger thing disturbed a buried stone wall. He said it was part of a foundation. The construction starts next week, didn't you say, Sis?"

Sarah was laughing. "My brother talks all the time. I'm glad you came up Jason. I've been reading Ruth's journal. She is getting better at recording things and her writing is more legible. Sarah's husband kept after her to learn more about the business, and she soon kept track of the expenses for the tavern. They built four rooms on, so now they could have overnight guests. The stage changes horses here for the trip up into the mountains to reach Windham and Londonderry.

"You know, I always thought that the people back then were straightlaced, went to church on Sunday and never did anything wrong. You asked me to recap some interesting tid-bits. Of course we know how Ruth got pregnant and no one knew by whom. And then she was looked down on by Ezekial's wife Mazie. Ruth found out Mazie was no better than her who had been practically driven from her family home and this is how she found out--.

"On occasion, Brother Jonathan didn't go drinking on Saturday night. Jason had the same arrangement to help the brothers home. One night Samuel and Ezekial tied one on early and were bothering the other patrons. Jason sent Ruth down to get Jonathan to come get his brothers. Ruth walked in on Mazie and Jonathan in a compromising situation. Her words: Jonathan had Mazie pinned to the mattress and I waited fifteen minutes for them to pull apart. So much for a faithful wife and a trusted brother.

"At a later time, Mazie and Ruth became friends and shared many secrets, one of which, Samuel and Jonathan took turns drinking at the tavern with their brother Ezekial of a Saturday night."

I didn't comment for I guess women and men were all the same, today or yesterday. "Anything else in there less titillating?"

"Yes. A soapstone outcropping was discovered and was being mined. Some of the stone went to Springfield where it was being ground into talc. Another prospect that was being investigated was in making soapstone sinks. Their hired man already was sawing off flat stone for people to warm their beds with. This must be the same mine on the other end of my property, wouldn't you think, Jason?"

"Most likely. Some day you will have to go looking for it. Is there any description of where it is located?"

"None except it was a short distance south. We know where the buildings were now for the excavator found a foundation wall."

"When you get your cabin up, you will have to go looking for it."

"You will go too won't you? Please? It is part of your history or heritage also."

"I'd love to."

As we finished our lunch the cook who also owned the diner came out and shook my hand. "I apologize for the way we treated you last time you were in. Whatever possessed us to treat Sarah the way we did, I can't say. It was like the town was trying to see who could make her the most miserable. We ended up being the laughingstock as we well deserved. Then when my waitresses were handed a hundred dollar bill because they lost money on tips, we were so ashamed. If you are going with her, you hang onto her. She is something."

I collected Tim and Sarah and we rode out to the cabin site. I had missed the road sign that went off Popple Dungeon Road because it was obscured with brush the first time I was out here. Old Stage Road was there for all to see now, for Tim had cut away the foliage. Today we drove right up to the foundation site. The building contractor had made a serviceable road into the property. There wasn't much to see, just a hole in the ground. We could see where the backhoe had nudged the original foundation of who knows what part of the tavern.

I soon was on my way back to Brattleboro. No dancing this Friday, either. Papa and Mama Bernhardt were arriving in the afternoon, which left old lover boy Jason out. Oh well, I could still think about her. I noticed Sarah was more reserved with Tim present. I could imagine how she would act being with her father and mother.


Friday morning I had a meeting with Aunt Nellie's attorney. There were papers to sign concerning probate. There were just a few bills to pay. I was named administrator which carried certain duties. I relied mainly on the lawyer to show me what to do. But by Aunt Nellie selling to Mom, in my name, all of the personal property, there wasn't much more to be done.

I did spend the rest of the day listing the furniture and appliances. Much of it did have some value as antiques. After that I did a house inspection just as if I was doing it for a client. The house was in solid shape. Some cosmetics, of course, but it was a fine structure otherwise. When Aunt Nellie needed to make a purchase, she went for quality. The bedding was top of the line. Even the drapes were of the finest quality. Everything would have to be sent out to the laundry and freshened before it could be used.

Mom looked beautiful when Mark came to pick her up. That lonely feeling hit as soon as the door closed behind them. What the hell, I thought. I'll go down and keep the ghosts company. I took my CD player and the same disc Sarah and I danced to and set it up in the ballroom down at the Canal Street property. That was damned depressing, being up here all alone. I took a kitchen chair out onto the front porch and put my feet up on the railing. I sat there listening to the music coming down the stairs and through the door I had left open. It was loud enough to reach the street.

A late middle-aged couple came strolling by, saw me and came up the walk to visit. They inquired about the house, saying this was the first time they had seen more than a single light on at once for years. I told them about how the house at one time had been a center of fun and frolic for couples in the area. There was a ballroom upstairs if they would like to see it. "No kidding? We go by this house often and never knew that."

They stepped through the door and it was like stepping into the past. The long hall with the curved staircase. Johann Strauss was playing the Blue Danube waltz. The man took his wife's hand and ascended the stairs. The double doors were open to let the sound out. Empty, the room looked huge. The floor was dusty, except for where Sarah and I had danced in one corner. "Are you going to open it up for dancing? God, there is no place in town where a couple our age can go to enjoy ourselves. We have a large circle of friends that would dearly love to have some place to dance. Some place that wasn't too loud and we could come and waltz the evening away."

"I don't know. It is a private residence. I'd probably get in trouble with the noise and all. A person should be able to invite their friends in for an evening though."

The person stood there looking first at his wife and then around the room. "Okay, I'd like to make you a proposition. If you would put the floor back in shape for dancing, I will personally provide a stringed quartet and make a donation to the estate for upkeep of the property. We will even make sure there aren't any cars on the street. It will remain a private home with guests for the evening."

"Sounds like fun. When would you like to have it ready?" I was thinking in two weeks, maybe.

"Oh, tomorrow night for sure. Can you do that?"

"I can try. If I can't, you leave your number and cancel the music, but all come by to see it."

"Fair enough. Do you know who I am? You haven't asked my name."

"Yes, I know who you are. You were pointed out to me at the country club a couple of weeks ago. You're Hammond Struthers and you're president of one of the banks here in town."

His wife Betty spoke. "I remember you now, you were dancing with that beautiful red-haired girl in the green gown. You danced with all the old ladies that were sitting with you at one table, too."

"My mom, as you put it, was one of the old ladies. Those are all of her friends. The old gals are all without male companions, so I go and give them a dance now and then. They appreciate it. I bet they are missing me right now. This is their night."

"Why didn't you go then?"

"Sarah, the lady you saw me with has her parents up from Connecticut so I was alone and didn't feel like dancing."

"Well maybe you can persuade her to come to the dance tomorrow night. Let's see, I think there will be nine couples, but that won't hardly take up half the floor. Your house--invite some of those old gals and I personally will dance with each one."

Hammond and Betty danced when I started another CD. I went back to the porch and left them alone.

Morning found me on the phone to cleaning services. I was in luck. One had a crew available after one in the afternoon and assured me they would have the floor in shape if it was no worse than I had described. Mom was curious as to what I was up to. I just said that I was taking her out for the evening. She had to wear a gown though. But Mark was going to take her out to the movies. I'll call him--we will share you between us, how is that? Mom was all smiles.

My next call was a little more difficult, but I was in luck. Tim answered Sarah's phone saying his sister was out. When I explained what I wanted, he jumped on it. I guess the whole family was bored with nothing to do and with each other. Next I called horny Sheila with the big tits. "Sheila, this is Jason. I missed the dance last night. How about we go out tonight to make up for it?"

There was a dead silence and then she said, "Jason, I know I kid around and flirt and I know how people refer to me. I know I propositioned you, but I just can't do it. I wish I could. I'm sorry. In fact I'm a little disappointed that you called."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.