Picking Up the Pieces - Cover

Picking Up the Pieces

Copyright© 2009 by Fable

Chapter 2: First date

Monday, February 14, 2000

Brian knocked on the Mendon's door. This was his first visit since being invited to supper with the family.

"Brian, you look nice!" Mary exclaimed when she saw him. "Are you going to a party?"

"Yes, it's at my manager's house. I just stopped by to give my favorite girl a valentine gift," he said, holding the small heart-shaped box for Mary to see.

"She's already in bed, Brian. She'll be thrilled when I tell her it's from you."

He handed her the small box, waved at Harry, and was at the door when he heard Peggy's voice.

"Do you have a date for the party?"

He turned to see her standing at the entrance to the kitchen. She was wearing her standard dress, jeans, sneakers and a sweatshirt.

"No," he said, considering explaining that he'd looked over the crop of eligible co-workers, and decided he didn't want to become involved with any of them. But he didn't explain, letting his simple 'no' answer stand alone.

"Do you need one?"

'Need one?' What was she asking? 'Need one, ' was such a nebulous question.

"Brian, do you need a date?"

"Ah, are you ... are you offering to be my date?"

"Only if you need one."

"I do, I mean it would send the right message if I showed up at my manager's house with ... are you really offering?"

"Give me fifteen minutes," she said as she disappeared down the hallway.

Brian removed his coat and took a seat next to Harry. Mary sat across from them.

"Doesn't Brian look nice, Harry? The red sweater suits you, and the tie makes you look like a college student."

"Thanks, Mary."

She cupped her hand to one side of her mouth, whispering, "I knew you were going to a party as soon as I saw you. That's why I said it loud enough for Margaret to hear me."

Brian didn't know what to say. He looked from Mary to Harry. They were both smiling at him, knowingly.

Brian jumped to his feet the second Peggy entered the room. His heart skipped a beat when he saw her. This was the first time he'd seen her wear a dress, and high heels. The dress was red, below the knees, but cut low at her bust line. A string of white pearls adorned her neck. Her shoes and stockings matched her dark hair.

"Are you ready to go?" she asked, sounding impatient.

Brian helped her with her coat, and said goodnight to Mary and Harry.

Outside, Peggy took one look at his truck, and suggested that they take her car. "You can drive," she said, handing him the keys. The car was a late model Camry, light green in color. He held the door open for her, and ran around to the driver's side.

"It was a replacement for Matthew's car. Since it was ruled an accident, the insurance company had no option but to give me a new car," she explained.

"It's nice," he said, easing the car into gear.

"Don't jump to the wrong impression. We're business partners. If you can't call upon your partner when you need a date, who can you rely on?"

"Exactly! You're right," he agreed, as he turned onto the road.

"Why didn't you say you needed a date?"

"This came up all of a sudden. I haven't seen you."

"You could have left a note. I'm at your house nearly every day."

Her nagging was becoming irritating. "I was thinking of taking one of the girls from work until I looked around and decided against it."

"Don't do that. It could cause trouble for you. Just give me more warning next time. That's all I'm saying."

His head was swimming. "Okay." That's all he could think of to say.

"Fill me in on who's going to be there."

He described the host, although he didn't know very much about his manager, such as his wife's name or how many children he had. He named the vice presidents that could be there, and the names of his co-workers that were sure to attend.

"How are you going to introduce me?"

"Huh?"

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to tell your boss that I'm your business partner. He might not approve of your having outside interests."

"Good point," Brian agreed. "I'll say you're my friend."

"You can do better that that. Remember, I've seen you in your underwear."

He looked her way. Was she smiling? "What if I say you are my good friend?"

"That's better, but do good friends of the opposite sex go into their friend's bedroom to tuck them in? I don't think so."

He knew that she was teasing him, but he wanted to see where this was going. "I know, I'll say you're my girlfriend's mom."

Peggy actually howled for a second before hitting a serious tone. "We both know that if she were sixteen years older you would prefer to take her."

Brian wondered if she knew how accurate her statement was, something he wanted to deflect. "I could introduce you as my girlfriend."

"That might work, but it would mean that I will have to play the part," she said, sounding pensive.

"How do you mean?"

"You know, hold your hand, and follow you around like a lovesick puppy."

"You'll need to look longingly into my eyes, and dance close."

They were talking tongue-in-cheek, merely having fun, but Brian felt an undercurrent. "I'll call you 'darling' and boast to the wives that you're good in bed," she said, clearly having trouble maintaining a straight face.

"Good in bed? You can do better than that. How about describing me as the best you've ever had, regardless of which room we're in?"

"Let's not carry this too far. You'll have every female in your office hitting on you tomorrow."

"I don't think so. Remember, I'm soured on all women. That's the image I've projected since I started work."

"I want to hear more about that," she said, but stopped talking when she saw that they had reached the party.

Brian saw a side of Peggy that night that he had no idea existed. She played the part of his girlfriend perfectly, leaning in to whisper in his ear, looking adoringly at him, and paying an extraordinary amount of attention to everything he said.

Although he enjoyed himself, he thought, at times, that she was carrying the girlfriend act to extreme. He couldn't help but be reminded that she was his business partner, and who could you depend upon if you didn't rely on your partner?

The party took on a different nature when couples began to arrive late. Some of the younger guys had taken their dates for a romantic dinner before making the obligatory appearance at their manager's party.

"We haven't danced yet," Peggy whispered, cooing into Brian's ear.

The dance floor, one room that had its furniture removed, was crowded with late arrivals. They were using the crowded room as an excuse to dance close. Peggy was no exception. She tucked her forehead next to Brian's chin, and didn't complain when his hand slipped down to her ass. If she felt his hard on stabbing her tummy she didn't let on. As the song ended, he felt her lips brush his cheek.

It was getting late. Some of the guests were leaving the party.

"Let's dance one more," she suggested. How could he refuse her?

There were less people dancing, but Peggy remained close. For someone who was soured on all men, she was certainly making an exception. For someone who was acting the part of his girlfriend, she was very convincing.

'That was fun," she said when they were on their way home.

"Thanks for being my date. Who goes stag to a valentine party?"

"True, but I'm sure you wouldn't have left alone. I saw several of the single girls eyeing you."

"That was because you were with me. They've never shown any interest in me at work."

"Spread the word that we've broken up. I'll bet that little redhead will be all over you tomorrow."

"Ginger? I don't think so. Anyway, what happens when I need you to be my date at another company function?"

"Simple, we'll make up."

Brian didn't commit to spreading the word that he and Peggy had broken up, and she didn't press the issue. He walked her to her door. She told him again that she'd had a good time, and for an instant, he had the impression that she would not object if he kissed her.

But he didn't want a repeat of what had happened in his bedroom. He didn't need another lecture about them only being business partners.

He gave her back the keys to her car, and left.


They seldom saw one another, but once he suggested that they transfer the cash balance from the accounting paper to a spreadsheet on his notebook computer, Peggy found another use for it. It became their means of communication.

March 9, 2000

Brian,

Dad called to say he'd heard of a toy store going out of business. I gave him the okay to spend up to two thousand dollars. I hope you approve. Should I have phoned you at work?

Peg

P.S. Have you considered securing the barn?

March 9, 2000

Peggy

I see by the bulging inventory in the barn that Harry made some good decisions. I'll work on the barn on Saturday.

You were right in not calling me at work. Every call is logged, and girlfriend's calls are frowned on. (Just kidding)

Please use your best judgment when future opportunities arise.

B

P.S. I trust you.

On Saturday, they were never alone. Harry came to help Brian work on the barn, and buyers were showing up at thirty minute intervals.

At the end of the day the cash box had a new influx of bills.

"I'll leave a note on Monday," Peggy promised when she and Harry left for the day.

"I have a phone," Brian informed her.

"I know, but I prefer exchanging notes with you."

March 13, 2000

B

My daughter specifically requests your presence at her party celebrating her second birthday.

Please come as soon as you get home from work on the seventeenth. There's no need for you to bring a gift. She'll be pleased to see you.

Margaret

Friday, March 17, 2000

Brian could have wrapped any number of toys from their inventory that would have been suitable for a two year old, but he wanted to find something special for Amanda.

He arrived at the Mendon doorway a few minutes before six, gift bag in hand. Amanda rushed to him as soon as she saw him, demanding to be picked up.

"How old are you?"

She quickly produced two fingers, grinning. Mary was looking on, smiling at the way Brian was bonding with her granddaughter.

"You learn quickly, don't you?" he asked, nodding his head, and watching her imitate him, nodding her head up and down.

"Are you my girlfriend?" he asked, nodding his head. Amanda was quick to nod her head.

Peggy appeared, wearing a skirt and sweater. Her hair was combed down, obscuring most of her forehead. Brian caught her eyes and held them for a few seconds.

"Watch this," he said to Peggy.

"Are you my girlfriend?" he asked Amanda, and laughed when she nodded, enthusiastically.

"Mom, I'm being two-timed by my own daughter. I was his girlfriend last month when he needed a date, but now he's courting my daughter."

Mary was laughing, and so was Brian. Naturally, Amanda knew something must be funny, but she didn't know what it was. She kissed Brian on the cheek, and to his surprise, Peggy kissed the other cheek. He put his free hand around her and pulled her to him. The three of them shared a moment before Peggy pulled away, saying it was time to eat.

Although it had been over a month since the valentine party, this was the first chance Peggy had to tease Brian about the way she had carried on.

"We pretended that I was his girlfriend," she explained to her parents. "I was all over him, holding his hand, blowing in his ear, and dancing so close that it would have taken a knife to separate us. We put on quite a show, didn't we, Brian?"

Brian was devastated. For the past month he'd let himself believe that her actions at the party were sincere. He knew now that he'd been foolish to forget that she had been acting. She had burst his bubble.

"She had us all fooled," he admitted to her parents. "My co-workers congratulated me on attracting such a beautiful girlfriend."

"We should open the presents before Amanda falls asleep," Peggy suggested.

In addition to some of the toys from the inventory, there were story books and posters for her room. Amanda had fun ripping the ribbons and wrapping paper from the gifts.

"This one is from Brian," Peggy said as she handed her daughter the gift bag.

Amanda grinned at Brian, but looked disappointed when she saw that there was no paper to rip off.

"What is this?" Peggy exclaimed when she lifted the gift out of the bag. "You're corrupting my daughter."

Brian didn't know what to think until he saw a sheepish grin come to Peggy's face. She lifted Amanda out of the high chair, and placed her on the floor. She peeled the party dress off of her, and replaced it with the grass skirt.

"He wants her to be a hula dancer," Peggy said to her parents. She began rotating her hips, and Amanda tried to duplicate her mother's motions.

Mary clapped, and Harry joined in to encourage the little girl. The dance didn't last long, but Peggy wanted to take pictures of her daughter wearing the grass skirt.

"Thank Brian for his gift," Peggy said, and Amanda ran around the table to be lifted into his lap. Peggy snapped several pictures, mostly of Amanda kissing him on the cheek.

"You're a big girl now. Kiss him on the lips," Peggy said, but Amanda looked confused, like she didn't understand.

Peggy walked over, leaned down and kissed Brian on the lips. "Like that, do you want me to show you again?"

Amanda nodded, smiling.

"We need a picture of this. Give me the camera," Mary suggested.

Peggy lifted her daughter, and took a seat on Brian's lap. She held Amanda with one hand, and put the other one behind his neck. The kiss started slow, but quickly increased in intensity. Peggy rotated her head to fully engage their lips. Brian cooperated, opening his mouth to accept her aggressive actions. The tips of their tongues touched before she pulled away, breathless, asking her mother if she got it. Mary confirmed that she'd snapped several shots of the kiss.

"That's how big girls kiss their boyfriends," Peggy said to her daughter. She got up and placed Amanda back on Brian's lap.

Amanda practiced kissing him on the lips until Peggy announced that it was bedtime. Amanda was too tired to complain.

Brian went home confused that night. He hadn't been kissed by a woman for months. Was she toying with him? He decided to find out. The next day would be a showdown.

Saturday, March 18, 2000

They had a very productive day. Except for frequent interruptions by buyers, and the brief time when Harry brought Amanda over for a visit, they were alone.

The inventory was moving out the door, and the cash box was being filled with paper currency.

"I need a date for tonight," Brian announced.

"Tonight? I told you to give me more notice," Peggy said, glancing at the clock. It was approaching three PM. "What's happening tonight?"

"There's a new restaurant in town, and I would look foolish if I went there and asked for a table for one."

Peggy threw her head back, laughing. "Good one. Make it next week and you're on."

This was encouraging news. "What about tonight? I want to talk to you."

Peggy let him capture her eyes for a few seconds. "I agree that we need to talk. I'll come back at six and make dinner for you."

"I'll order pizza," he countered.

She smiled. "You win. I'll be back at six."

Brian had time to contemplate what he wanted to talk about. He showered, dressed carefully, ordered the pizza, and made sure the refrigerator was stocked with beer. She surprised him when she came through the door dressed the same way she had left, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

They took seats at the kitchen table. As he soon discovered, she was better prepared for their talk than he was.

"What did you mean by being soured on all women, because it seems to me that you're changing your mind?" she asked.

"Is this going to be an argument because it seems to me that you are bending the rules a bit too?"

"Answer my question first," she demanded.

The pizza arrived. He placed it on the table, and opened two beers. Suddenly, he wasn't hungry. He began talking.

"I met a girl when I was a sophomore. We were together until a week before graduation. That's when she told me it was over between us."

"What is her name?"

"Samantha Stewart. Her father is Samuel Stewart, a sports equipment wholesaler. I was to go to work for him, and we were to be married about a month ago. I'm not sure about the date because we never really set one."

"It sounds like the entire affair was tentative."

Brian stared at her. "Why are you always so judgmental? What do you know about the affair? For your information, it wasn't tentative at all. We just never got around to setting a firm date."

"Do you think I'm judgmental?"

"See, that's what I mean. I accuse you of something and you don't flinch. You're not only judgmental. You're over-confident. I don't like the way you play with my emotions, either."

"Brian, please tell me about Samantha. I promise to let you psychoanalyze me later. I have a story, too. I promise to be honest with you."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.