Aggy-book 2 - Cover

Aggy-book 2

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 47

"Commodore, Crypian McDermid. I have just received signal orders to report to the Admiralty with my staff for discussions regarding possible operations in this area. There is a memo from Evan Cochrane personally asking you attend quote as an observer unquote. A nice touch, that, I thought. When would it be convenient for you to travel?"

"Let me mull this over for a bit ... Crypian, I'm going to try something. I'll com you back. Clear."

McCock extracted his PDA and entered a com link.

"Admiralty, to whom do you wish to speak?

"Evan Cochrane, I don't know his present rank but he is now in 'Plans'; I am Commodore McCock, 119 (Reformed)."

"Please hold, Commodore; I'll see if he is available ... I'll connect you now Sir, please be aware you are on an unsecure com."

"Aggy, Evan Cochrane. Why is it that I feel I should be counting my fingers?)

"Because you have a low and suspicious mind? Good day, Evan, I see a bit of sanity prevails in the halls of the Puzzle Palace with you in Plans. A mutual acquaintance says you wrote asking me to drop by with him. I would like to bring the Flock with me."

"Aggy, that would be splendid. I haven't seen you since 119 DD broke up. I'm sorry about Cowboy but at least he got recognition for his part. One day you will have to tell me the story of what has happened since we last met. How soon can you come up? Sir Thomas wants to be involved."

"Please don't ask any questions, but are you free for the rest of the week?"

"Why do I feel I'm about to land in a bucket? Yes, I am to be ready any time."

"Good, I'll com and give two hours notice; I'll need the Admiralty pad. How long do you expect the conference to take?"

"The full day, Aggy. Sir Thomas wants a full brief and expects to discuss eventualities"

"Without asking questions, Evan, can you be ready in sixteen hours, eight morning?"

There was a shocked silence from Gold Roper for almost a minute,

"If it was anybody else ... Yes, I can turn it on for tomorrow morning."

"Thank you, Evan, expect all of us then. McCock clear." And broke the com.

"Evan, the Barge at three morning for my staff to Admiralty via "Illustrious" and then cosmic. Go to it. Sally warn my staff for three morning tomorrow in the Barge for day long conference at Admiralty and advise the Manor House I'm overnighting, such as it is, on "Vector". Go to it. Oh and McDermid et al will be with us."

McCock closed the intercom and connected to Tabes to raise "Illustrious" and be put through to Admiral McDermid.

"Good morning, Admiral's Quarters, CWO Stapleton, how may I help you?"

"Good morning Mr Stapelton, Commodore McCock for Sir Crypian."

"Commodore, Admiral McDermid."

"Admiral, I shall explain tomorrow. I have arranged for that conference to be held at eight morning, tomorrow, at the Admiralty. I'll come by in me Barge shortly after three morning to collect your party. Suit?"

"McCock, ... yes we can be in the Boat Bay but I for one will require a hell of a lot of answers. Suits."

"McCock, clear." And McCock couldn't stop the chuckles starting.

"Illustrious control, Vector Barge, request docking instructions. Over."

"Barge, clear to join No3."

"No3."

Felix manoeuvred the Barge to the designated hatch, joined and cycled. Lt Cdr Younger led the party aboard with Rear Admiral last. McCock waved them to seat themselves and waited until the crew chief indicated 'hatch closed' and the Barge broke contact.

"In two and a half hours we will be landing at the Admiralty," and grinned as he saw the determined non reaction of the RMN personnel each with an exactly neutral expression on their faces. He went on,

"For some time, we have been conducting operations above the hyper layer in hard space or as Sir Henry has called it, 'cosmic space'. In that space, using thrusters, which are the only mode which functions, the trip to Mounserrat will take about an hour and a quarter. Movement through the layer which is about eleven kay klicks thick does induce nausea and we give you seal bags for personal use. Algy, wave at the passengers, please."

Algy Hardman turned to look back from the copilot's seat, waved his right arm with a wide grin on his face.

"Algy commanded "Shriek" on the first passage through the layer; he was violently ill but as you can see he survived; since then we have developed our techniques and the effects are markedly diminished. We are about to translate into hyper so I'll wait."

The barge translated and continued outwards levelling off just beneath the layer, coming to a halt.

McCock had continued his lecture and had the screen in the cabin show U97 hovering just below the layer and then disappearing as Felix put the Barge through the layer, shuddering to a stop on the other side with U96 showing on the screen. As Felix powered up the thrusters, McCock explained the spread of the UVAs and gave a brief summary of their activities.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.