The Destroyers, Book 3:  Civil War - Cover

The Destroyers, Book 3: Civil War

Copyright© 2009 by Monbade

Chapter 9: Battle for SOL Part one

Federation Fleet

Ken stood on the flag bridge of the USS Washington and watched the gate open for his ship. Looking at his wife Jessica he said, "Okay, let's find out what is going on."

"Yes, Sir. We are dropping out in three ... two ... one ... Now!"

The Washington dropped out of fold. The two assault cruisers, Grizzly and Orca, and the seven destroyers were flanking her. The destroyers spread out in a half circle to protect the three ships. Sensors came online and flashed their arrival notice to Pluto.

"Sir, I am receiving a message from Captain John Wilkes of the America, he says ... OH MY GOD!" Jessica's eyes went wide, and then tears started running down her face.

Ken looked at his wife, and saw her tears. He got up and went to her.

"Jess? What's wrong, my love?"

Jessie looked at her husband, as Amy appeared.

Her lips were trembling as she said, "Kennnn, it's your mom and dad."

"They're dead, aren't they?" Ken asked with fear in his heart.

Jessie couldn't answer verbally, so she just nodded her head. Amy wrapped her arms around her, and they merged their link.

"The United States has taken both space docks, and murdered and imprisoned our people. Martial law has been declared in the States," Amy reported.

"FUCK! I am going to blow the ones responsible away," Ken snarled.

He turned to the crew, and started issuing his orders.

"All hands man your battle stations. We are going to go liberate our home from a tyrant."

"Yes, Sir!" shouted Stella Salaneo as she turned back to her sensor board.

"Admiral ... KEN," Amy shouted to get his attention.

Turning once more Ken looked at his wife and replied, "What?"

"The USS America and two destroyers are preparing to join up with us. The American space fleet consists of six battleships and twelve destroyers."

"Shit! That's some heavy numbers. However, there is no choice. We have to free our people."

"I agree... " Amy stopped as she received a signal and she smiled.

"What is it Amy?" Ken asked.

"We have help coming."

"Who?"

"Nancy Dwight aboard the USS Yamato is coming."

"Good get me Captain Tanaka."

"I'm sorry Ken, you misunderstood me. Nancy is controlling the Yamato. Captain Tanaka is dead. She folded the ship during the attack on Space Dock One."

"There is no crew?"

"Just some survivors from a prison sub she rescued that are in medical. She will join the fleet in ten minutes. She has to get clear of Jupiter's gravity well first."

"Okay, bring the America up behind us and have the Yamato stack above us. We are going in to take our home back. Send a message to the assault cruisers they are to take the docks back after we deal with the American fleet first. The Washington will proceed to Earth and deal with the problems there."

"Yes, Sir! Sending your orders now," Stella said.

"Thank you, I will be in my cabin. Contact me if we get anything on sensors," Ken ordered as he walked up towards his day cabin. After he entered the cabin, he said, "Jessica, show me what happened."

"Ken, are you sure?"

"Yes. I have to know how they died."

"Okay, Ken, but you're not going to like what happened."

"I understand that! Now, show me, please."

The fleets quickly joined up, and started heading in system. Their mission was to free their home from madmen. They were outnumbered three to one, but everyone in the fleet knew they had to succeed.

Ken stood in his day cabin. Tears were running down his face as he watched the murders of his mother and father. Then the murder of his sister came on and he grabbed his desk and hurled it against the wall shattering it when it hit the armored bulkhead. Grabbing the two-shelf bookcase loaded with books on World War One and Two he picked it up and hurled it across the room where it shattered to pieces. He turned and grabbed the couch and heaved it after the bookcase.

"I will destroy them for what they have done!" he shouted as he hurled his chair at the force window, where it shattered as well.


Down in hanger bay one, Kayla flinched as she felt Ken's anger. Looking up at the ceiling she closed her eyes and tried to contact him, 'Ken, my love what is wrong?' she was shocked at the anger and then she was thrust out of his mind.

Tina looked at Kayla as she stopped talking and asked, "What's wrong Kayla?"

"It's Ken, something has happened. I have to go to him. Could you finish prepping my ship?"

"Yes, I will. Go to your husband."

"Thank you, Silisa, I will."

"Silisa?" Tina asked.

"It means sister, and that's how I see you, since we are mind-linked."

"Oh! I like it. I must learn your language, when I can."

"I will teach you later, I promise. But for now, I must go," Kayla said as she started running for the door.

Tina watched her friend run out of the room, and went back to watching the loading of the Galahad missile packs on their fighters. Across the bay, squadrons of Tigerstar class fighter-bombers were being armed, as well.


Kayla stepped into the transport tube. As the door shut behind her, she gave her destination as, "Take me to Admiral Thompson's location."

The tube shot away, and headed for the command tower. Twenty seconds later, it came to a stop at the Flag Command Deck. The doors opened and Kayla stepped out. Turning she walked to the doors at the end of the hallway which were decorated with a multi-colored starburst across the doors, which opened as she stepped up to them.

Stepping onto the flag bridge, she looked at the crew working at their stations.

"Commander Kayla. Thank God you're here," Stella said from her post at navigation.

"What's going on? Where's Ken?"

"He is in his cabin. He went in there as soon as he got the news about his mother and father," Stella said.

"Thank you, Stella," Kayla said as she walked up the ramp to Ken's day cabin. Pressing her hand to the door it opened and she walked into a disaster.

Ken's back was to her and he was pounding the wall with his right fist. Clutched in his left hand was a picture of his family. He was saying something repeatedly but she could not make out his quiet voice. Taking a deep breath, she walked over to him, set her hand on his shoulder and was surprised when he turned around and buried his face into her shoulder. Wrapping her arms around him, she held him as he cried his heart out.

"Dead all dead ... I am all alone now."

"Never, Ken! Your wives are here for you. Your sister will be here as soon..."

"Dead ... she's dead! Murdered while protecting Ashley," Ken snapped out.

"Oh God! I am sorry, Ken, so sorry. I know you hurt. I know what it is like to lose a loved one, but you must be strong for the fleet. They need you."

"I don't think I can. I don't think I can keep doing this. Too many friends have gone," Ken said through his crying.

"That's war. Sometimes it takes the best of us and rips our souls to the bone. All we can do is keep going on, and remember them with good thoughts on how they lived."

"How? How do I do that?"

"By being here for the people who need you ... like me," Kayla said.

"Let me be strong for you, Ken," Amy added as she took both of them in her arms.

"And me, as well, my love," Jessica said as she walked over and wrapped her arms around him, and continued, "you showed me compassion and love, when all I had was hate and anger. Now let me return that love to you."

Kayla linked their minds and they flooded Ken with their love, she even reached down to the main bridge where Tammy was working, and brought her into the link.

'We all love you, Ken! Don't lose it, now. Be strong for your wives... ' Kayla stopped as her mind felt another and she smiled as she continued, 'And be strong for the children that Amy and Tammy carry inside them.'

'What?' Amy asked as her hand went to her belly.

Down on the main bridge Tammy placed her hand on her belly and smiled, 'Yes, my love! I carry triplets. I was told this morning, I was going to tell you but we have been a bit busy.'

'I ... I'm going to be a father?' Ken asked.

'Yes, my love, you're going to be a father! We will need you to be strong and provide a good home for our children. But, to do so, we must win back our home and avenge our loved ones.'

'Kayla is correct, Ken. You must be strong for not only us, but for all the people who follow you, and for the people you are bringing home. We must be strong to rescue Kayla's people, as well, before they are wiped out, ' Tammy said in his mind.

Lieutenant Aiko Fujimoto walked into the Admiral's day cabin from her office. In her left hand, she was carrying a datapad. Stopping as she saw the devastation and the three woman hugging Ken she waited patiently. With a mental sigh, she wished she were inside that hug.

'Join us, Aiko, ' Kayla said as she sensed her love for Ken.

Aiko jumped when she heard the voice in her mind. As she opened her mouth to speak, she was startled again.

'Shhh, just think on what you want to say and we will hear it. Now come, join us.'

'How? This is not possible, ' Aiko thought.

'It is, for my race. We are telepaths. Now come.'

Aiko felt her body walking and then she was inside the hug. The small Japanese girl looked up into Ken's face, and her hand reached up and touched his cheek.

'This is wrong. He is my Commanding Officer. I shouldn't have these feelings for him.'

'Love is never wrong. Now kiss him. He is feeling a great loss ... the loss of his parents and sister.'

Ken opened his eyes at the touch, and locked into the black eyes of Aiko. Her warm smile flashed at him. Then the hand slid up behind his neck, and his head was gently pulled down to hers until their lips met.

'What? I shouldn't do this, ' Ken thought.

'Shhh! She loves you very much. Just love her back.'

'But... '


American Fleet

Admiral Mathew Callaghan looked at the sensor log and grinned, "Helm, turn us for the belt. Com, contact the rest of the fleet to follow us through. The game's afoot."

"Yes, Sir. Course set in," replied Lieutenant Judy Wilson.

"Orders sent, Admiral. All ships are responding, 'We follow the flag, '" replied Lieutenant Richard Maxwell.

The USS Abraham Lincoln along with her five escorting battleships turned for the asteroid belt. Going to full power, they quickly closed with belt and went through it. Their crews were at condition red, all stations were manned. All the fighters were armed and ready to go.


Federation Fleet

Terry O'Neil's eyes went wide as seventeen targets suddenly came out of the asteroid belt. Looking over her shoulder she saw Tammy sitting there with her eyes closed, "Captain!"

Tammy sat in her chair her mind was locked with Kayla as she poured her love for Ken through the link.

Terry got up and walked over to Tammy, "Tammy?"

Tammy did not answer so Terry reached out and touched her arm, then gently shook it, and said, "Captain?"

"What?" Tammy said as she opened her eyes.

"Ma'am, I have seventeen ships closing on us. I estimate six battleships and thirteen destroyers."

"Shit! Just a second," Tammy said as she closed her eyes and thought to the mind link, 'Hate to break this up, guys, but the enemy is coming. Sensors have six battleships and thirteen destroyers closing with us.'

'Ok. Thank you, love. I will be right out, ' Ken thought and opened his eyes.

Breaking the kiss, Ken caressed Aiko's face, "You should have told me Aiko. We will talk about it later. Now let's get to our stations. Amy, Jessica, I love you both. Good luck and God bless us all. Kayla, fly safe, and protect my people if you can."

"We will, Ken. Now lead us to victory," Kayla said as she turned and ran out the door.

Ken walked to the door. Both Amy and Jessica followed him while Aiko went through her office door to drop off the data pad. Walking onto the bridge, Ken went over to his chair as Amy and Jessica turned and left the bridge. As the door closed behind them, Aiko came out of her office, crossed to the CIC, and went in.

"Okay, people, tell all the gun crews to button up. As soon as Kayla reports in, launch all birds. Send the same orders to the America," Ken said as he activated his screen on his right side and brought up the enemy fleet.

"Sir, the America is launching her birds now. Hanger doors are dropping and we are launching. The Orca and Grizzly are launching as well," reported Lieutenant Jinnah Chin.


American Fleet

Admiral Mathew Callaghan watched the Federation fleet and was surprised that both battleships were there, and said to his staff, "So both of their battlewagons survived. Launch all fighters and bombers. Prepare for Volley Fire One. I just wish I knew what type of damage they suffered. I only count two of the assault cruisers, and seven destroyers. Well ... nine, now, with the America, now that they have joined up and combined into one fleet."

"Yes, Sir. It's the carrier I am worried about. With over a thousand fighters and bombers, they could hurt us," replied Commodore Jeff Jones.

"I know, Jeff, that's why I had these ships modified with over a thousand light pulse lasers. If they get close enough. We are going to rip them to shreds ... worse than what we did in the Marianas Turkey Shoot, in World War Two. This is going to be the largest air battle since then, and we must win this battle."

"I agree, Sir."

"Okay, everyone, to your stations! Start 'Operation Volley Fire'."

The six battleships of the United States fleet turned and opened their missile launchers and sixty missiles belched from the sides of each battleship and speed off towards the Federation fleet. Hurtling through space at two hundred knots, the missiles flew towards their enemy. They were quickly followed by second and third waves, which caught up to the first wave, and then they boosted to light speed.


Federation Fleet

Kayla watched the enemy missiles closing and she activated her com unit, "All fighters form up in front of that wave of incoming missiles and open fire on them. We cannot let them get within attack range or we will lose every ship in the fleet!"

The thousand plus missiles were speeding towards their destination when eight hundred fighters dropped down in front of them and opened fire. Lasers reached out to destroy the missiles and bounced off their force fields. Whipping around, the fighters dropped in behind the missiles as they flew by, and closed to point blank range and started firing their lasers until the shields failed and the missiles exploded.

Kayla watched the missile count go down, but it was going down so slowly. At three hundred she saw over fifty of the fighters pull out with burned out pulse lasers.

"Double up on the missiles," Kayla said.

Her com unit for the fleet blared out, "Incoming! Second wave!"

"Shit!" Kayla said as she checked her rear sensors.

The last of the first wave died and the remaining seven hundred plus fighters turned and headed for the new wave.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.