Aggy- Book 1 - Cover

Aggy- Book 1

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 72

The Dinner went off pleasantly. Emily and Nan had some difficulty getting Carlton at ease but once they got him loosened up he gave the ladies an honest if somewhat hilarious look into the lower decks.

The Queen led the ladies out after announcing a bit of the work for the next day.

First Lord, Willie and Francine would join with Sir Simeon and his Admirals.

The Space Lords, Home Fleet and Commodore would discuss their ideas. Kowalski, Wamirant and Carlton would make themselves available.

The Queen and the other ladies would do what they had come to do - to relax and enjoy themselves.

At breakfast, the groups made contact with each other and found that Miss Laffertys had things already arranged...

The Space Lords remained in conference for a few hours before repairing to the simulator where they critically watched McCock, Kowalski, Wamirant and Carlton demonstrate the scenarios and play out the options. They broke for lunch and then returned to the simulator until late afternoon by which time all expressed satisfaction with the plans. The plan was only for a small raiding party so there had been no need for the full Admiralty resources. The seamlessly efficient manner in which Wamirant and Carlton had fitted with McCock and Kowalski to form a co-ordinated team came as a surprise to the Admiralty officers. They should have asked Virginia or Peter Scott.

Willie Bruce and Francine Shadowdale had quickly grasped the problem of, as Her Majesty described it, corporate stupidty. Milligan and Rowan made absolute nuisances of themselves and finally forced their listeners to realize that lives were being wasted because of the non availability of the inventions. Their point had been ruthlessly made by Admiral Milligan presenting in detail the combats in which the Flock had engaged and others' more well publicised actions and then quoting the 'butcher's bill' for them. Sir Simeon had discussed the legal processes and the way in which it had been used to delay the judicial process. He put the suggestion that the Sovereign should exercise Her Prerogative as Commander-in-chief, metaphorically chop off a few heads, Milligan muttered under his breath about "real ones" but his listeners pretended not to hear that one, get the corporations moving and let them go to the courts if they dared breach the "Official Secrets' Act". Silas Rowan pointed out that the Kingdom was losing its sons and more would be wasted if these inventions and others weren't brought into service quickly and even now it could be too late because of the parlous position in which the Kingdom existed at this point. A secret session should be called and the fact hammered home that the recent battle in home space was a strategic disaster unparalleled in any history of any war known.

The ladies were outside in the shaded alcove watching the sea birds wheel over the blue waters of the bay which was broken by white topped rollers moving majestically out of the ocean. They were sipping their cool drinks, definitely non alcoholic, and conversations rose and fell between them. Emily had manoeuvred her lift chair back into the shade and this brought her across from Duchess Western Hove who sat on the low bulwark looking out to sea with a look of wrenching sadness on her face. Emily crossed to her and touched her hand,

"Its not that bad, Erin,"

There was a disgusted snort heard by all. All heads including Erin's turned to Trudi who quickly waved her hand as if to brush away the sound,

"I'm sorry, I am a guest here. I do apologise, please?"

Erin turned that sad face to Trudi,

"What has Polack told you?"

Trudi hesitated and then quietly replied,

"He does not even know you are alive, Rien Cockson. How could you use that name that way? Do you really hate him that much?"

Erin looked out to sea for several moments, her face taut. Trudi continued

"I live with 'Mina Denholt, she used to be 'Mina Galbraith and Shelly Sabajhi who was Shelly Black. We saw you on the vid at your husband's funeral. 'Mina recognized you instantly. She told us the story and we started looking for you. We found you in a lot of old faxes. It was Shelly who found James and both the others say he is Aggy's. I apologise, I should not have said that, there are some here who do not know of this. We shall talk later perhaps?"

Elizabeth broke in,

"Well if you know of it then so do others. If you found out then so can others. I think I am going to have to make a decision soon."

Elizabeth turned speculative eyes upon Iris Browne who sat calmly beneath that gaze. The Queen did not have the experience of "the look" which senior NCOs of her defence forces had. Iris herself had it and had used it very effectively in her Marine Corps service.

"Iris Browne in her other guise is one of my Marine Colour Sargeant Majors. Iris how much have you guessed?"

"Well Ma'am. There is something big going down. It is a major strike because your top politicians are here. It involves "The Queen's Own" because McCock and Kowalski are here. I can't place Wamirant, nor the Solicitor General. I suspected some thing personal with the two ladies, Western Hove and Miss Nancarrow who are related and from Trudi's comments, McCock is in it up to his pretty little ears but I'll wager he doesn't know a thing about the er social side of this gathering. Victor is in the strike; you are going to make him take a command and that both pleases and terrifies me."

"Very good, Iris. How much has Victor told you about McCock?"

"He got a good read on 119 in Paracelsus and then Gorgipest. He made only one comment "that lad has some good kit" and since then he has got very secretive; when he won't talk to me I get a bit worried."

Elizabeth looked across her subjects and quietly said,

"Anything you hear or even guess you will not even discuss among yourselves when you leave here. Better still do not discuss it here as there are children who might hear. Please! I don't want to play the vengeful Queen with you. I have enjoyed your company. It is rare for me to be able to enjoy such moments. Do not, I beg of you spoil it for me. Nan, Erin, please consider a request that I be allowed to bring 'Mina and Shelly into this. I'll do it privately. Nan, you do it. I'll provide the secure location for you"

"The Residence where we live, Your Majesty, is clean. My Grandpapa you know... ?" said Trudi.

Elizabeth didn't blink an eye,

"Excellent. Nan, Iris? Good! Please arrange it. Now I want to use your experience, Iris. A solution has been suggested which you will appreciate better after Nan briefs you. Is it to ennoble McCock. How would this be responded to by the lower decks?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.