Aggy- Book 1
Chapter 57

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

The convoys went on and 119 thought of it self as being the forgotten people of the RMN. This of course was not true; transfers and replacements of personnel occurred; compassionate leaves had been granted; promotions promulgated; and repairs and maintenance were forever needed. There were from time to time side trips to the Amiranti Empire.

Commander Wallace had received his orders to take "Victoria" back to Mountserrat for refit of a fusion bottle which had become a worry to his Chief Engineer. The Squadron was to escort a convoy to Old Breslau for exchanges of cargo; "Victoria" would then independently proceed directly to Gregor and transit to Mountserrat; 119 would wait two days for the convoy and then escort it to down to Gregor. Another convoy was to be escorted to Paracelsus via Old Breslau after a four day lay over. Shelly and probably 'Mina would be in Gregor.

The convoy had not yet joined up. "Victoria" in company with "Vector" was escorting a packet of five merchantmen trundling along at two forty gravities. "Victoria" led the group and "Vector" trailed as they had done since "Vector" had joined with her two.

"Target, zero three four degrees, zero seven zero degrees, range one point two mega klicks, stationery, unidentified."

Lieutenant Carmody, First Lieutenant of "Victoria" had the watch. He scratched an imaginary itch in his left ear,

"How long have you had her?"

"About a minute now, Sir."

"I'll let the Captain know, he's up and about. Captain, Bridge, unidentified bogey starboard bow high stationery, 1.2 mega ... Sir." broke the link and told the bridge

"The Boss will be up when he has finished his breakfast."

"Captain on the bridge." Carmody vacated the commander's chair and moved to join his Captain at the larger EW screen.

"She has not moved in the forty or so minutes we have had her, Sir. I went to one minute sweeps just before you came up."

"Sir, I've just got an Amiranti transponder, "Nachtlicht", point five megatonnes, registered Breslau."

"She's moving, Sir, looks like two four zero, one three zero, yes, that's confirmed, two hundred sixty gravs. That should put her at about one twenty five kay clicks when she crosses ahead of our track."

"Sir, second target moving away from "Nachtlicht", two nine zero holding the plane, I make it four eighty grav; uummm, even if we went to full military power we'd not catch him – sorry Sir, unidentified, he looks about four kay tonnes."

"Designate "Nachtlicht" bogey 1 and the streaker bogey 2. Any chance 2 is an Amiranti? No? Ask the Convoy Commodore to increase to two eighty please. I want to be close to her when she crosses. I intend to challenge and inspect. First watch, Nav? Peter warn Mr Bracken for a boarding party with four in armour. Get everything we have on "Nachtlicht" and as much on pirates captured and handed over. A 'merchie' wont have us for a while yet. I'm acting on the belief that bogey 2 was a pirate and bogey one has just been taken. If I'm wrong then Augustus might be a bit annoyed but not too much as he doesn't like pirates either. Inform "Vector" please, she is to continue with the convoy."

"Captain, I have both a problem and a solution, both of which require your advice and counsel."

"Aggy, you know I'm full of it, and you can take that as you please. Betty, coffee for my hard worked XO. Speak to me of your troubles, my son."

"Thanks Betty, has he not been taking his meds again?"

"No, Sir, I've been putting them in his morning coffee. Yours are in your cup now, Sir, so drink it all up like a good little boy."

"Lese majeste aside, Aggy, what is it particularly?"

"Sir, you are aware that we are getting about two green replacements for every three relatively experienced people who are transferred out. So far I have managed the watch and manning bills to cover this. The real strain is the "Shriek's" training because we can only take NCOs because of the basic skills needed for that tasking. We are down to just over four hundred and thirty and our peacetime complement is five twenty. We can do quite well on anti-pirate single vessel combat but I worry about a double broadside torpedo and guns engagement.

You might not have the Flock's full history so bear with me. We all came straight from Navy schools, academy in my case, to work for then Captain Rowan. For six years we worked on decreasing manning level requirements and associated automation and miniaturization. We started on DDs and were working our way up; we had nearly completed CA and were starting on BCs when we were sent to Gorgipest. We never did any work on V&Ws. We didn't even know they existed. Over the past two weeks the Flock have gone over "Vance" from keel to truck and we estimate we can remove about one hundred and twenty positions. If we can get the equipment we will take about three months to do the job. The cost is about two to three voyages of your discretionary monies. What I propose is that Mr Kowalski and I go on leave in Old Breslau and we go to my family's agent; I remember him from my apprentice days; and purchase the items. There are no items needed which in themselves would attract attention. My family pays for it. When you come back to Old Breslau in ten days we'll have most of it and the remainder we can order for delivery in Raffles. I'll give you the accounts and in the fullness of time you reimburse me and submit the accounts through Treasury."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.