Aggy- Book 1
Chapter 49

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

"Target zero degrees, zero degree, fifty three thousand clicks. Harbourian Battle class CA tracking one eight zero same plane velocity..."

McCock broke over the AI responding in a manner as if he had confronted this situation a least once every day of his secure life.

"Defensive shields. Graser lock continuous fire. Missiles forward tube full salvos fire when acquired."

With only nano second delays in response, hands flashed to control panels and the coxswains moved into control positions.

"Helm stop all. Maximum reverse thrusters."

The acknowledgements came in over one another. Reversing on thrusters was not going to be of much help as space going vessels used turn over and main power to stop.

"Weps, suspend graser just before missile impact on target and recommence after."

The graser was exploding deep into the enemy hull blasting holes in the forward hammerhead destroying chase weapons, tearing internal bulkheads to crumpled rims with the armoured hull confining and concentrating the internal damage. Each blast met that much less resistance and progressed deeper into the hull. As the graser momentarily stopped, four CL missiles entered the massively holed bow with no resistance exploding in the bowels progressing deeper further in extending the damage.

The records were never able to determine whether it was the graser or a missile which reached the forward fusion battle. The heavy cruiser expanded into a boiling maelstrom of flame, light and smoke which disappeared in the same second.

The change to defensive shields came up just in time to prevent the blast from wiping HCL's hull clean.

"Cease fire" ordered McCock. The last salvo of missiles was held. The cruiser had taken over two hundred graser blasts and sixteen small but effective missiles deep inside its hull. It was over in less than half a minute. As they passed through what was left of the debris, the AI again came up,

"Target, Three four zero degrees, zero degrees. One hundred twenty one thousand clicks. Solarian freighter, tracking one eight zero, acceleration too small to calculate.

The last alarm on the freighter brought McCock back to near full awareness,

"Stop thrusters, ahead two hundred gravities. Helm steer three four zero to come alongside at five k clicks. Point defence track her. How many missiles forward?"

McCock's orders had gone over Sally's response but Cowboy's and Claude's responses came,

"PD one and three tracking."

"One load left forward. That last salvo was lost – fratricide."

""Shriek" guard frequency please."

"On"

"Solarian freighter; heave to."

Slow looked very dubious but it was Harryoh who pointed out,

"Captain, Solarian vessels are neutral and we are in Helena's n space."

That last pulled McCock back to full awareness.

"EW, Tactical, any responses?"

"My board is clear. Looking at the screen, that gas giant shadows us. If they did see that explosion it might be thought of as coming from the gas giant."

"Hold that thought Denny but don't rely on it. Tac go to continuous active on Period."

"Period continuous" responded Slow who then gave an embarrassed giggle. As the implication filtered through the minds of mere males there were a few snorts and hacks of laughter.

"That could cramp your style" earned Alan a glare from Sally.

Despite his grin McCock brought the lightening mood down to earth,

"Shriek, what's the 'Solly' doing?"

"No velocity."

"Helm come to circle her. Drop port sidewall. Full reverse thrust. Tactical will that stop us on her far side?"

"'Puter says we can. Should we, though, Captain? She's a Solly!"

"Also a blockade runner," then responding to some puzzled looks, "freighter, Helena, Harbouria outpost, CA escort."

'Deity' thought McCock, 'Hugh must be infectious.'

"Guard frequency! ... Solarian freighter stand by for boarding inspection."

There was no response.

"Alan, Colin into EVA suits please; Claude open the arms locker, Bert assist Alan and Colin."

McCock silenced Slow's facial protest,

"You are totally inexperienced in transfers." Slow returned to her screens.

HCL was coming down the 'Solly's' starboard side from the stern,

Harryoh called,

"Visual," and referred the image up to the command chair. "That's her boat bay." indicating the opened hatch.

"Zoom in please, inspect for damage." Harryoh and Slow examined their screens and reported no damage seen. The thrusters ceased and Sally called,

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.