Aggy- Book 1 - Cover

Aggy- Book 1

Copyright© 2009 by Green Dragon

Chapter 39

Erin had gone, disappeared, leaving McCock stunned.

The Flock had been tidying up the reports when word was received that Rowan and a party of fifteen would be arriving on First Day, a week hence. There were some very rude comments uttered about the short notice and a few pointed questions about how come Rowan was a week out when the voyage was two to three weeks by even fastest freighter and sixteen would not fit in a courier.

McCock suggested that they finish up and have a holiday dirtside. His expressed intention was to base himself in "The Green Man" and spend some time with Erin.

All hatches except No 4 on the "Trader" were mechanically blocked from inside "Trader". The Avers agreed to have an anchor watch covering that week end and surveillance of the "Trader" was switched to the office.

McCock had his first inkling when he could not com Erin at her home. It burst upon him when her section chief at the Naval Yard told him Erin had given a month's notice, had worked it out, cleaned out her desk and gone. The section chief thought Erin had returned to Mountserrat but was not sure.

McCock had noticeably withdrawn into himself enough that Slow had asked him about it. Over the preceeding months Slow had thought she had seen signs of tension between Erin and McCock and had been concerned as a friend of both of them. Some distancing of McCock from the others had made Slow express her concern to Polack. Polack was not unsympathetic but considered that Erin and McCock had to deal with their own personal problems and until there was an effect upon the Flock, they, the Flock, should stay out of it.

Mine Host had given McCock an old style envelope as soon as the Flock had arrived. Slow has stayed behind as the other men made their way to their rooms. As he read the short message on the single page, McCock had appeared to go rigid within himself. Passing a few words to Mine Host, McCock had entered the reception office; a brief hum had sounded and McCock emerged with empty hands. He had looked at Slow as he passed her simply saying,

"Erin isn't coming," and had gone to his new room.

McCock realized he cast a pall over his friends so he absented himself for long periods of the day going for long scenic walks or working out in a nearby gymnasium. When he returned he would join his friends for dinner, have a few drinks afterwards, talk about the news faxes reports, local and galactic, and then excuse himself to his room. To his friends, he had lost a little bit of his humanity and they couldn't reach him.

A com came for McCock mid afternoon last day. Rowan and party would be arriving at "Trader's" No 5 hatch mid first watch. He excused himself to his friends simply saying he was needed at "Trader". Rowan and party arrived in a Fleet Underway Replenishment Ship. McCock spent the next several hours unblocking B port hatch to allow a small 'tainer to be passed in, to be held under the tween decks on starboard side. He had cycled the No 5 hatch after the FURS had locked on and pointed the arriving Horde down to passenger cabins. Victuals had been stacked in the lounge while he was in B. The Horde sorted themselves out as the FURS disconnected. Moved off to the Navy Yard, Rowan said. The Horde opened the lounge kitchen and while two of their members cooked up the meal the others spread tables and chairs back where they had been in the lounge.

Having brought their own plates etc, McCock didn't think it worthwhile to mention the ship's crockery in the purser's office. He wasn't up to being extra nice. He did point out the bed linen stores when he saw the kit the Horde had brought with them expecting to use. Basic – very basic. Rowan notified all that a meeting in the lounge area at eight morning and get their ablution and breakfast between four and seven. They disappeared to their quarters and a different quiet settled over "Trader".

The Flock, not having been told that the Horde were already on board, had commed ahead and McCock had directed them to the boat bay. They were not in the best condition having felt they could have a celebration not offending their absent friend. McCock allowed them to cycle through the hatch and met them in the gym. They were somewhat surprised to find five or so people warming down from exercise. They took off smartly when McCock pointed out they were required to be present at a meeting in the lounge in twelve minutes. He used his suit com to inform them the dress was GmBH dungarees.

Rowan made the introductions without mentioning any ranks. The Horde all had official name tags and it was to the good that the Flock wasn't seeing too well or they would have reacted with catatonic shock at the quantity of rank. A general run down of the Project took Rowan to midday. That meal was the last quiet time for a week as the Horde descended upon the Project dragging the Flock along in its wake. The Project was minutely examined and it became quickly obvious that while the Horde was enjoying themselves like kids in a wading pool, there was serious talent with serious intent present. The Flock suffered most at the hand of the Senior NCOs who were the lowest ranks of the Horde; these were the men who got their hands dirty on equipment and their practical expertise was deferred to.

Several of the Buships engineers had time with McCock questioning him closely on how he saw Projects being carried in a freighter. They had a holo of a merchantman and of a proposed warship. A system to be fitted into the merchantman was modelled and a meeting of minds was achieved. The acknowledged end was an Armed Merchant Cruiser otherwise referred to as "Q" ships. The lower deck, with its tribal memories of things like "Jervis Bay" and "Rawalpindi", referred to Admiralty Made Coffins. RMN had used them in the past utilizing existing vessels. Some Navies including Harbouria purpose built. There were arguments for both but cost was a decisive factor in RMN.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.