And Baby Makes Three
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2009 by Peter H. Salus

Wednesday I got a memo from the Dean — copied to about two dozen folks, only half of them connected to the Centre. He "struck" the committee to search for a new chair, thanked the present one for his long service, named me the committee chair, and listed four other members: the VP, two faculty and a Ph.D. candidate. Wednesday afternoon two (unnamed) faculty members were in my office "demanding" to know why they weren't on the committee. I responded that the Dean had done the appointing, not me, so I was the wrong person to ask.

Mona asked whether I was having fun.

"I think I know why I don't want to be an academic administrator."

At about three I received a call from the Dean. "How many complaints so far?"

"Only two."

"I suppose some carpers aren't on campus on Wednesdays."

"That's OK. I'm at Scitech on Thursdays and I'm certain they don't come in on Fridays."

He laughed. "Any suggestions about the other committee.

"Not yet. I'm going to put it to this one for advice at our first meeting."

"Will you let me know when that is?"

"Of course."

"I intend to be there."

"That should scare three of them."

"Right. I'll let you think now."

It occurred to me that UWA had a marine biology institute. "Mona!"

"Are you ever going to learn to buzz?"

"I guess not. There a marine biology institute or maybe marine sciences on campus. Could you find me some information about it?"

"Of course." 15 minutes later she put a pamphlet on my desk.

I glanced at it and realised that the CEO of WAMSI (= Western Australian Marine Science Institution) -- Dr. Steve Blake — was someone I wanted to meet, and getting him onto the committee was the way to do it. It was just on four. I phoned the dean. "Steve Blake," I said.

"Who is?"

"CEO of WAMSI. Ph.D. from Cook."

"I'll try. You'll be getting another memo."

"Yes sir."

The memo arrived in Friday's interoffice mail. Me, three faculty — the three on my list who weren't on the chair search — and Dr. Blake. I looked at Mona. "I've got a lousy job for you. Put together a list of everyone on the two committees with office and home phones and see if we can meet sometime next Wednesday or Thursday. If it's Thursday, cancel Scitech for me. And then find a conference room for us. If necessary, get the Dean's office involved."

"Right."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I have next to nothing to do most Tuesdays and Thursdays, when you're at Scitech." The phone rang. "CSIRO ... Dr. Hollister's office. Oh. I'm certain he wants to talk to you. One moment." She pushed 'hold' and said: "Dr. Blake for you."

I ran into my office. He started with: "What have you gotten me into?" We chatted for 15 minutes. I promised to visit WAMSI, which was apparently housed in Botany. When I got off I realised it was time to go home for the weekend.

Weena greeted me with the news that we were driving down to Margaret River.

"For the day or the weekend?"

"Just for the day. It'll be Pat's first trip."

"Can I take him out on the boat?"

"Most certainly not! Mary and I will take care of him while you and Rob make fools of yourselves."

"Yes, dear."

So, around 9:30 in the morning we got underway, Patrick safe in the rear seat. I just drove straight down Highway 1 to Bunbury and then 10 to Margaret River. There was virtually no traffic. We got to Mary's place in under two hours. We said hello and I let Rob persuade me to have a beer. The ladies were already cooing and I was sure that Patrick was ready for a change and a feed.

"Boat?" Rob asked.

"With pleasure."

When we were a few metres offshore, Rob asked: "How'd it go?"

"The VP jumped at my request. Apparently they want to get more involved with the university."

"I'd guessed that. They've no trouble with the mining engineers from Curtin, but UWA is somehow a bigger fish."

"It's the oldest university in Western Australia. Do you have bait or plugs or spoons?"

"I only use spoons for trolling. Use one of these flies." He handed me a wallet.

"What's this one?"

"A booby fly. Amazing the variety of fish that'll bite on it. I use it mostly for bream."

"I'll try it." I tied it on and cast it once or twice; then I took aim and actually placed it near where I wanted to. It was under the trees on the opposite side. I got a strike almost immediately and, after a relatively brief fight, I had a black bream about 25 cm.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.