And Baby Makes Three - Cover

And Baby Makes Three

Copyright© 2009 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 16

It was nice being home together. Weena extracted Patrick from the capsule and went inside. I fetched the two shopping bags and the case. "Do the plants go indoors or out?"

"I think indoors now, outdoors when it gets warmer." She was already changing nappies. I'd forgotten the smell. Perhaps I'd never realised it.

"His head wobbles."

"Newborns' do. It'll take a month or so before he can control it. Infants can't do much. After three months they become more human. In a few days he'll start looking at things, in a week or two he'll respond to noises. I'll find that development book later. Right now, I'll put him down. Then I'll call the BubBarn and see about nappy service." She took Patrick up to his room and I could hear her switch on the wireless intercom. I put the two flowerpots into ceramic saucer-like things and sat them on the window ledge. Weena came back, still carrying Patrick. "You hold him while I phone."

I took him and thought of telling about origins. "Do you know about the beginning?

Baiame walked on the earth he had made, among the plants and animals, and created man and woman to rule over them. He fashioned them from the dust of the ridges, and said,

'These are the plants you shall eat -- these and these, but not the animals I have created.'

Having set them in a good place, the All-Father departed.

To the first man and woman, children were born and to them in turn children who enjoyed the work of the hands of Baiame. His world had begun to be populated, and men and women praised Baiame for providing for all their needs. Sun and rain brought life to the plants that provided their sustenance.

and you are here with us, because you were born of me and your mother." His eyes were closed. I just sat and held him. Weena came back.

"I'll put him down now. What did you do?"

"I told him of Baiame and the Creation. I told you I'd tell him all the stories I knew."

"He can't understand yet."

"He will take what he can when he can. The healer will help."

"Yes dear." She took Patrick back upstairs.

Patrick slept for nearly four hours and then for just over three.

When I got to the office on Wednesday I felt OK, but not really fully rested.

"How's everything?" Mona inquired.

"OK, I think. He slept for over three hours twice. So we got more sleep than poor Chaz at this stage."

"Well, there nothing much on your stack for today or Friday. When's the christening?"

"I don't know. We never talked about it. We're not regular church-goers. Do folks still do that?"

"Well, many do — but I guess there's no point for many. Have you talked about circumcision?"

"What?"

"Well, folks still have it done."

"Sounds barbaric to me." Well, now I had two things to talk to Weena about. But I wasn't going to phone her. She needed the sleep more than I did. I thought of calling mum and getting her opinion. But later. I wandered into my office.

When I got home, I posed both queries to Weena.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.