And Baby Makes Three
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2009 by Peter H. Salus

"Hi, mum. Sorry to wake you. It's a boy. Patrick Scott Hollister. 12:30 am, Easter Sunday, 16 April 2006. 52 cm., 3725 gms. I'll send a photo later. Love you."

"Hi, Bob. 12:30 am; 52 cm., 3725 gms. Both are fine. I'll send a photo later."

I contemplated waking Chaz and Michiko or Charlie and Maddy or Maggie or Evans or Willy. I decided against it. But it was really something. I was a daddy. Just as the healer said. I drove home, stripped, showered and fell into bed. It was nearly three.

The phone woke me at ten.

"Hollister."

"Gordy, Evans."

"Hi, Captain. Let me go back to sleep. Patrick was born this morning. I need more sleep."

"Congratulations. I'll call later."

I turned over. Then it was noon. I shaved and dressed, had juice and bread and was off to the Royal Perth. I got there before one. Rob and Mary were in the waiting room.

"Hey," said Mary. "He had to see Patrick."

"I understand. Will they let you in?"

"Rob, yes; me, no."

"Tell them you're the grandmother."

"I couldn't lie on Easter Sunday."

Rob was standing there looking foolish. "I'll go in, see if Weena's OK, and come back." I went over to the desk. "I'm Gordy Hollister."

"Good morning. Weena and the baby are just fine. You can go in."

"Thanks. That's Weena's dad, I'll be back for him."

Weena looked great! She was sitting at a 75-degree angle (plus a few pillows) and Patrick was at her right breast. "My beautiful madonna!"

"Hi. Isn't he gorgeous?"

"Yep. Thanks to you."

"50% is you."

"Yours is the gorgeous part. Your dad and Mary are here."

"Oh, goody!"

I got them both. Mary cooed and said all the appropriate things. Rob just looked at Patrick. "Are you OK?" he asked.

"Better than I expected. A bit sore. And my abdomen feels funny. And I have to pee a lot. But I feel great and Pat hardly makes a peep."

"Can grandpa hold him?"

"Wait till he's done with lunch and gets burped." It didn't take long. Weena handed him to Rob, tucked herself in and smiled. I took a picture of Rob and Patrick.

"Pat?" I asked.

"Why not?"

"I was going to use 'Rick'."

"Go ahead."

"Won't he get confused?"

"I doubt it."

Rob was busy making silly noises. "He looks very nice," said Mary.

"How long will they keep you?"

"I'm not sure. I was still bleeding an hour ago. But that's not bad. Probably till tomorrow or Tuesday. If I'm still bleeding on Tuesday, they'll think there might be something serious. But my blood pressure was good and I'm producing colostrum, so I'm OK."

"They must hate having a sister here," said Mary.

"Oh, no. I know a lot of these girls ... and a few others from various parts of the hospital have dropped by. There'll be more tomorrow, when they're back from holiday."

"I'm going to head home soon and prepare. Is there any chore I must do?"

"I doubt it. We'll use the disposable nappies for a few days. I'll call Nappy Express and Bub Barn when we're home. They'll want $300 or so. Did you call Chaz?"

"No. Nor a thousand others. Evans called this morning but I was sleepy. He'll call back. I'll call Maddy and Charlie, but Maggie can wait till tomorrow. When I tell Mona, she'll let Kevin and Janice know. And I'll tell the Scitech folks on Tuesday. But that'll depend on when you're coming home."

"Dad, give him back to me."

"He's wonderful. Gordy, what about cigars?"

"Smelly things that say 'It's a boy!'? No thanks."

"Come on, Rob," said Mary. "I'll let you go out on the boat and stink up the atmosphere."

"And I'll email the photos later today."

They both kissed Weena and left.

"Tired, sweetheart?"

"Very."

"When should I come back?"

"Between 7 and 8."

"Right. I love you both."

When I got home, I called Chaz and told him the "news." Michiko wanted to visit, but I said that Weena had been very tired. I suggested the morning. She said that was just fine. I then called my mum and dad, had what was becoming the usual conversation, and promised to send the pictures. I got off and wandered into the kitchen. I put up coffee and then put nearly everything that was in the fridge but needed no cooking on the table. The phone rang.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.