The Au Pair
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2009 by RH Music

"Now Brian, go hug your Pop-Pop."

Brian, just three and a half years old, toddled over the threshold and into the enormous wood house with the noble, pungent, smell of varnish and tobacco. He looked up, eyes wide and amazed at the elegant staircase, intricate moldings, and enormous sliding doors between the living room and dining room. He imagined himself as a bird, flying through the spacious rooms, swooping through the doorways and under furniture.

"There's my grandson!" he heard from above. Without warning, strong hands scooped him up and hugged him close. Brian nuzzled his face into his grandfather's sweater, smelling wonderfully of pipe smoke and mothballs.

"Brian?"

Brian looked over at his grandmother. The shape of her face was so elegant, framed by silver hair as she took another sip of bourbon, leaving a red lipstick smear on the Waterford crystal tumbler.

"Brian?"

Brian closed his eyes and just enjoyed his grandfather's embrace, never wanting it to end. His grandfather hugged him closer, and kissed the top of his head. "Our family future lies in your hands," he said gently.

"Brian, are you okay?" Tina shook him gently.

Brian opened his eyes and saw his wife kneeling beside him, a worried expression on her face.

"I'm fine..." he said, a little unsteadily.

"Are you sure?"

Brian looked at the newly remodeled house, unable to think coherently. He was sitting at the front door, where he had sunk to the floor, in shock. "What ... how ... the house???" he sputtered, barely able to speak, much less think.

"Oh Brian! I'm so sorry!" Tina blurted out, her carefully rehearsed speech completely forgotten. "I just ... when Kathy found out..."

"Kathy?"

"Yes! She was talking to Marc LaRossa, he was the one who added all these walls on the first floor for your grandfather when he was sick. Well, not him, his father, really ... well, he helped ... I mean..."

"Tina," Brian tried cut her off.

"Look, we can totally put the walls back. Marc said it wouldn't be a problem..."

"Tina!"

" ... but I thought, you know, to restore the house back to the way it was originally, and then Kathy...

"Tina!"

" ... she found an old 'Home and Garden'..."

"Tina! It's a wonderful!"

" ... and it had pictures, you know, original pictures..." Tina stopped. "Wait, what did you say?"

"I said, it's wonderful!"

"What?? Really??" Tina's face lit up with joy. "Do you really mean it?"

"Yes! Oh my gosh, I stepped into the front door, and I was overcome with memories from when I was a boy and would go to visit my grandparents. It looks exactly like it did then. And ... I..." Brian started to tear up, "I mean, it's just like I remember."

Tina gathered Brian into a warm hug, tears flowing. "Oh Brian! I'm so happy! I can't tell you!"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.