A Singular Time
Chapter 12

copyright 2012

Tony just bowed his head and wrapped both hands around his mug of coffee as he shook his head from side to side.

He said, "I don't know if I believe that this isn't all a dream."

"I can assure you that it isn't a dream!"

Tony looked up with that 'deer in the headlights' look in his eyes.

"Your wife has arranged for Madam DuBois to fly here. You have hired my daughter to take care of my wife, and then ... and then your wife hires me to be your driver/gofer and at a very good pay. I just don't know what to think about all of this. I just don't know..." he said as his voice just faded away and he hung his head again.

"Did Adin tell you why we do things like this?"

"Look ... I mean no disrespect but I don't really know what she said. You have to understand that all I can think about is Michelle and that soon the best thing in my life is gong to be in more pain, getting sicker, and then finally die! I..."

The man just stopped talking.

"Look, Tony, just go home to your wife. We can talk things out later, but remember you work for me now and you will have plenty of money for the things that you need. Tell Michelle the good news and then just hold her. I'm sure that will help both of you. I know it did for me when Adin was in the hospital with her gunshot wounds."

Tony just nodded, then silently went to his cab and drove off.

As he drove away I placed wards around the van and then cast a spell of awareness to prevent the man from driving into a bridge or some such thing. Then I put the cups in the dishwasher and went to bed for some much needed rest. It felt wonderful to have Adin next to me in our own bed after the weeks of sitting next to her in the hospital.

The next morning I woke to find Adin lying on top of me—even though she was asleep she held me in a death grip. I bent my head and kissed the top of her head. Then I just let my head fall back onto the pillow, closed my eyes and reveled in the warmth and smell of her, grateful that I had her back with me. But ... nature finally got to me and I had to go to the bathroom.

"Noooooo ... don't gooooo! You're so warm!" Adin mumbled sleepily as she hugged me tighter.

"Honey, I need to go to the bathroom but I'll come right back. I promise."

"Ohhh! You! You had to say that, didn't you? Now I have to go, too."

Adin jumped from the bed and sprinted to the bathroom ahead of me. That left me to dance from one foot to the other outside the bathroom door begging her to hurry—my need had changed by now to an ever-increasing pain and I was beginning to question if I were going to wet myself. I was even beginning to eye the kitchen sink speculatively.

"Okay, Kade," called Adin as she got into the shower.

I damn near ripped the door from its hinges as I rushed to relieve myself once that task was completed I joined my lovely wife in the shower.

"Even though it would be wonderful to go back to bed, sweetheart, we really need to get going. I need to see if Mrs. Philips is still alive and willing to sell the property. The last time we talked she hinted that her time was very short."

"Oh ... That's sad," said Adin as she pushed herself away from our wet embrace and began to dry off.

I did the same.

As we were dressing there came a knock on the door and Adin put her hands to her mouth!

"Oh Kade ... I forgot to tell you that I asked Tony to be here by ten."

"Good we need to get all of his and his daughter's employment information."

Adin looked at me quizzically and asked, "Why? I thought that you wanted to stay off of the grid."

"Indeed I did, but all of this stuff with the FBI and the cops put us squarely on the grid. So now I need to do everything in the mundane manner and not use magic so much; at least for a while."

"Oh, I see. But, Kade, aren't you going to heal Michelle with your magic? I know you can because I felt you fix my head last night."

"Yes, and I plan to do just that, but slowly so that there is no suspicion."

She nodded her understanding and went to answer the door. While Adin greeted Tony I got on the phone to my accountant and arranged an appointment to fill out the needed employment papers. Once that was done I called Mrs. Philips. I was delighted to hear that she was still with us when she answered the phone in a stronger voice than when I had last talked with her.

"Hello Mrs. Philips! I'm so glad to hear your voice!"

"I, too, am very happy to hear you voice. How is your wife?"

"Ah, well ... she is pretty much healed. We were very luck that the bullet was not even a quarter of an inch lower. She is home, now, and I couldn't be happier!"

"I am so glad to hear that. I felt a bit responsible that you were hurt."

"Oh? Why would you feel responsible?"

"Because the woman that was killed ... Agent Stiles ... was my grandniece. I always thought that there was something wrong with that girl. I blame her mother! She spoiled that child terribly. The girl never heard the word 'no' in the entire time she was growing up! I am so sorry that you two were hurt!"

I could hear the grief in the old woman's voice.

"Well, Mrs. Philips, that is all water under the bridge, now. Please, don't give it another thought."

"Thank you, my boy. I do so appreciate that. Now ... to business."

I could almost hear the clicking of gears as she turned to business.

"Okay, then ... are you still willing to sell the property that we discussed?"

"Yes, I am. In fact I have had the property surveyed again and talked with my accountants. We are ready to accept the offer that you made, before that dreadful incident. All we need to do is meet and sign the papers. Then, once everything is registered with county clerk, the place will be yours."

"When would you like to meet, then?"

"How does next Monday suit you?"

"Excellent! Say, ten o'clock?"

"Let's say noon. We can have lunch and ... Mr. Mohr, please bring your wife along. I would love to meet her."

"We'll be there."

"Fine! Stay on the line, please. My secretary, Jean, will give you directions."

I finished up with the phone call and went out into the living space. The wonderful aromas of coffee, and French toast with sausage and maple syrup, greeted me. I had to stop and stand quietly breathing in the bouquet of the meal with closed eyes.

As I was enjoying the aromas I felt a warm hand on the back of my neck followed by a warm sweet kiss. I made to embrace my wife but she quickly pulled away.

"KADE! Careful, you'll spill your coffee!"

I opened my eyes and looked first at Adin's luscious mouth, then at the coffee and back to her mouth. I took the cup from her hand and set it on the counter as I said, "I would rather start my day with this."

I grabbed her in a bear hug and kissed her fiercely. The woman quite nearly swooned!

"Boy, that one curled my toes," Adin whispered dreamily.

"Ah ... Would you two like me to go out and sit in the van for a while?" Tony asked with a straight face, but a definite twinkle in his eye.

"No ... No ... Sadly, we have a lot to do, today," I said with a huge sad sigh.

"One more, big boy," said Adin as she pulled me down to her height and proceeded to give me a slow burning kiss that curled MY toes!

"Now come and eat, before your food gets cold, my husband."

As we ate our breakfast I gently probed Tony. Since I had never met his wife or been to their home, I used him as a path to his wife. I choked on my coffee when I found out just how big the tumor actually was. It was a testament to the strength and determination of the woman that she was still alive! I recovered quickly and began to work on the malignancy.

I started by setting wards around their house to hide the magic. Next I cut off some of the blood vessels supplying the tumor. At the same time, I reduced the size of the thing by one eighth. Finally, I filled Michele with as mush restorative energy as she could take in her weakened state.

All of this took but a few seconds. Tony never noticed my intrusion into his mind.

"Did you bring the information that my accountant will need to cover you and your daughter's employment, Tony?" I asked.

"Yes. Mr. Mohr, I have to tell you that what you have done has helped both of my girls, tremendously. They are both so much more relaxed! It is amazing! Thank you."

"Good! I'm glad to hear it. Now let's get going. We need to be at Joe's office by one."

"Kade? Are we going to visit Carol, too?"

"Yes, my love, we are," I said as I gave her a hug.

I had instructed Tony to take the scenic route along the ocean. I really do love the sea!

"We need to get a boat!" Adin and I said at the same time.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.