A Singular Time - Cover

A Singular Time

copyright 2012

Chapter 6

While Adin slept, I went through the phone book that the previous owner had left in one of the kitchen counter drawers. I found the number for several RV parks near the city, and began calling. On the forth call I was able to arrange for a spot to park our behemoth. It was in a long-term portion of the RV park, but with the offer of extra funds, the owner's arguments faded away.

That done, I sat thinking about what had happened, today. Then it hit me! I was gaining in strength faster than Book had estimated. Would it be possible for me to write a spell that could help my wife?

"Book, to me!"

"How may I be of service, Kade?"

"Earlier you said that I was gaining in strength far faster than you originally anticipated. If that is the case am I strong enough to write a spell that will help my wife?"

"What kind of help do you have in mind?"

"I want to get into her mind and cancel any back door commands that would turn her into a slave again, plus I want her to have some self confidence. In plain English I want to heal her as much as is possible. Today really set her back."

"Yes, and no. I'm sure that you can get rid of the backdoor commands from her trainers but, as I said before, you will never return her to her former state."

"You misunderstand me. I could care less about her former memories. I just want her the way she was this morning! Functioning at a high level, and happy."

"Why, Kade, you don't need magic for that! It was you and your love that brought that condition about in her. Oh, yes, you will need magic to close the backdoor commands, but for the other, just love her to bits."

I was stunned and said weakly, "Oh..."

For the next two hours Book and I worked on the spell to purge Adin of any type of command that did not come from me, and me alone. Once satisfied that things were correct I performed the incantation, and hoped for the best.

'Well, I need to get on the road, or we'll never get to town, ' I thought to myself.

I rose from the dinette and realized that all of the coffee I had consumed was screaming to get out of my bladder. I ran to the bathroom. After that close call, I began to think that I was drinking far too much coffee. I would have to buy some herbal teas. But then I realized that tea was a liquid, too, so what was the sense.

I stretched, went forward to the driver's seat, and got going on the road.

There was little traffic at that time of night. I pulled into my reserved spot at the RV park at four fifteen in the morning. All things considered we had made good time. I made another pot of coffee and drank down the first cup almost in one gulp, I was so tired. I poured another cup and went up into the bedroom.

Adin lay all twisted up in the covers. It was very clear that she had not slept well. I sat beside her and shook her gently. She opened her eyes and smiled at me. Then she tried to sit up but found that she was totally bound up in the bedding. With a look of panic she began to thrash around trying to get free.

"Shhhhh ... shhhhh, my sweet, you're just tangled in the blankets. Stop fighting and I will get you loose."

It took several tries to get her attention, I finally had to speak sternly for her to stop fighting,

"ADIN! ADIN! STOP THRASHING!"

Her training kicked in, and she immediately lay back, looking frightened.

I unwrapped her and then took her in my arms. All the while, I was uttering soothing words and sounds.

Adin clung to me with such force that I thought she would draw blood, as her 'claws' dug into my back.

"Now, dearest, drink your coffee. We need to go into town."

"Yes, Kade. Do I have time for a shower? And what about setting up the RV?"

"No, I'm afraid we don't have time to bathe or do the set up. Just change your clothes, if you wish, and run a comb through your hair and we will get on the road. When you're ready come down to the garage. We'll use the trike. Ok?"

"Yes, Kade."

I kissed her and went down to unload the three wheeled motorcycle.

That took a little more time than I originally thought, as I was unfamiliar with how the ratcheting tie downs worked. When Adin showed up, her trucker past helped there, too.

Once the machine was free we lowered the ramp and rolled the Can-Am out. It was truly a thing of beauty, strange but beautiful. We climbed aboard, and I fired up the engine. It didn't sound right to me, because my idea of a motorcycle is a Harley Davidson, but it did sound powerful. I threw it into gear and we sped off towards town, at just over the speed limit.

We made it to the diner in twenty minutes. When we arrived at the diner I pulled right up to the door to park.

As we were dismounting the machine an alarmed Adin said, "Kade, the windows are broken, and it looks as if someone trashed the place!"

Concerned, I did a quick mental scan of the diner and surroundings. I felt no miscreants, but I did feel misery and fear from the staff and customers. The police showed up just after we had entered the building.

They pointed their weapons at us with the usual shouts of "get down on the floor!" and "put your hands behind your back!" As Adin and I got down on our knees Carol ran in between the police and us.

Carol was yelling like a mad woman saying, "THIS IS MY FRIEND! HE DIDN'T DO THIS! LEAVE HIM ALONE! IF YOU PEOPLE HAD COME HERE WHEN WE CALLED YOU INSTEAD OF A HALF HOUR LATER YOU WOULD HAVE CAUGHT THE BASTARDS THAT DID THIS! WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU? IT'S A WONDER ANY OF US ARE STILL ALIVE!"

The police were not well pleased with Carol's harangue. In fact I could feel the animosity building in the two officers and they began to shout at Carol to get on the ground with us! The two men were enraged at the allegations!

I immediately cast a calming spell. I felt like Obi Wan Kenobi, from the Star Wars movies. Five minutes later, we — Adin, Carol and I — were all sitting in a booth as the police took statements from the injured customers and staff. All had suffered some sort of beating. Adin was trying to console Carol, who was weeping.

"We're ruined! No one will come here, now! They'd be crazy to risk a beating from some thugs. All of my friends are going to go bankrupt! How are we ever going to feed our families?"

Up until that minute, my idea had been to destroy the responsible people financially. Now they would die. I was done playing around! I scanned Carol's memory of the attack, and then I did the same to all of the customers and staff. I now had a good idea of who the miscreants were. The keystone bit of information was the message that one of the attackers had whispered into Carol's ear just before he punched her in the face.

It was now a full hour after the attack, and the EMTs finally showed up, followed closely by two police Detectives. The older man looked like a poor copy of Columbo, with a cigar and a very rumpled trench coat, while the younger Detective was as clean and neat as a new penny.

Something didn't feel right to me as I looked at the older Detective. I therefore did a deep scan on him, and found that he was dirty. To top things off he planned to plant several packages of drugs —heroine, meth and coke— in the diner.

The man was intent on finding a good place to stash the drugs when I broke into his concentration by calling to him, "Officer? May I have a word with you in private?"

I had scored my first hit! This old man was as vain as they come, and he was also terribly bitter of being passed over for Captain.

"It's Detective Sergeant, buddy. You can talk to one of the others, I'm busy," he said in a most surly manner.

"Oh, I thought that you were the senior officer, here. What I have to say should be heard by the most senior officer, here."

I was scanning the creep as I addressed him and I could feel his blood boil at my jibes.

The man turned toward me without actually taking a step in my direction and yelled in a very nasty and menacing manner, "I SAID I'M A DETECTIVE SERGEANT NOT A BEAT OFFICER!"

I now ignored him, and turned to the younger Detective and asked, "Are you the senior, here, then?"

That did it for the old creep! He turned bright purple with rage, and yelled at me and everyone else in the diner, "I'M THE SENIOR MAN, HERE! NOW WHAT IS IT YOU WANT?"

I turned back to him and said, "I need to speak to you in private, then, DETECTIVE."

With a look of disgust the man turned back toward the front door and motioned me to follow him as he growled, "Come on then."

I grabbed his mind and took his coordination away. The Detective stumbled and fell heavily; as he fell I used my telekinetic power to lift a shard of the broken plate glass from the window into a vertical position just as the man fell. The piece of glass was two feet long and it entered the man's abdomen.

The dirty cop screamed and screamed as he struggled to regain his feet. Once standing the dirty cop, with horror written all over his face pulled the huge shard from his body, cutting his hands as he did so.

It was a very gory sight! The shard of glass had gone right through him and arterial blood was spraying everywhere. The screams very quickly began to fade as the man bled out and fell back to the floor.

The three other cops and the two EMTs rushed to the aid of their fallen comrade, but it was too late.

"Hey, what's this?" asked the young patrol officer as he pointed at the inside pocket of the dead man's trench coat. The drug packets were clearly visible along with a very thick manila envelope.

The younger Detective pulled on a pair of latex gloves and then pulled the things from his partner's pocket. Inside of the manila envelope he found five thousand dollars along with a note of instructions.

The note read:

Plant these drugs in the diner, and then arrest the owner for dealing.

Do it right, or you know what will happen!

Though crestfallen, the young Detective turned to the lead patrol officer and said, "It looks as if Joe was dirty. Bag these things, and make sure you follow all evidence protocols. I don't want any question about the evidence chain. This is your job until I can get another Detective in here. I have to recuse myself, because I'm Joe's partner." To the other patrol officer he said, "Take statements from everyone here about Joe's death, the diner vandalism will have to take a back seat until we get back-up."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.