A Singular Time
Chapter 5

copyright 2012

The first store where I took my new wife, was a jewelry store. There we perused all of the wedding sets. I let Adin pick out the set that she liked best. To my great surprise, she didn't pick an overly ostentatious set of rings with huge stones. Rather, she selected a one-off artfully made set of rings, with a mid-sized solitaire diamond.

Oh, I'm not saying that the set was cheap ... no, not at all! It had a graceful swirl of metal that surrounded the stones, locking the two rings together, and it was made of platinum!

After that purchase, Adin was like a giddy schoolgirl. We went from store to store, providing her with a new wardrobe. Occasionally we would wander into a men's store, where I supplied myself with a few suits, and all of the accoutrements needed by a man. Of course, I got jeans and such, too.

There was hardly enough closet space aboard the RV for all of our purchases, but we managed. We then drove to a campground, and set up for the night. It took me some time to figure out all of the things that I needed to do, to stabilize the huge piece of machinery, but by nine o'clock all was done. We settled down and took showers, and washed the clothes that we would be wearing the next few days.

I hated laundry and dishwashing, so I assigned those tasks to Adin. The cooking we did together. Soon we were seated at the table eating a Thai-style curried chicken, with rice noodles and stir-fried veggies. By eleven o'clock we were truly exhausted, and headed to bed. Both of us fell asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows.

The next morning I awoke refreshed, to find Adin plastered to my side with a leg and arm across my body holding me in a death grip. I managed to peal her off without waking her, as we had consumed a lot of wine the night before.

It was a miracle that I made it to the bathroom without an accident. After relieving my bladder; I showered, shaved and dressed. I donned a tee shirt, jeans and a pair of boat shoes.

It was now Thursday morning. I had promised to call Carol about her books. I went into the garage section of the RV, and sat at the workbench.

"I'm going to have to get an office set up with a regular desk and chair in here, soon," I thought as I pulled out the burn-phone.

"Hello, Carol's Diner, how may I help you?" said an unfamiliar voice.

"May I speak with Carol, please? She is expecting my call."

"I'm sorry, Sir, she isn't here at the moment. May I take a message?"

"Is there some problem? We agreed on the time for this call, and now she is not there?"

"Ohhhh! You must be that man! She left me a note to pass on to you. Hold on for a minute, while I find it..."

"OK."

"Thanks. Ah here it is.

"Ok, item one: the plumber is installing the new dishwasher today, and has assured Carol that he will be finished by this evening, since the wiring and piping are both in good condition and up to code.

"Item two: the health inspector has been notified and is very happy with the unit as described on the fact sheet. Carol faxed the fact sheet to him this morning.

"Item three: the accountant is being a bit bothersome about the books. Carol is worried that there may be some problems with the man and went there to try to expedite things. We just found out that the developer who tried to steal the diner, has given our accountant a big contract. We're wondering if your rich friend might know some lawyer to help us out, here.

"Look, Mister, this isn't on the note! This is me talking, here. That developer is a nasty piece of work, and is pissed that his plan to get the diner for chump change was messed up. I'm afraid he will send some of his goons over to make trouble. There's even a rumor that he's mobbed up. Please help us? We all have everything tied up in this place! Please! Please help us!"

"I'll do what I can, and I will come back as soon as I can. Give this number to Carol. Have her call me when she comes in. Ok?"

"Ok."

I gave her the number of the burn-phone I was using, and disconnected. I sat thinking for about half an hour before the smell of bacon and eggs broke through my thoughts and I headed for the kitchen!

Adin had a new white tablecloth spread on the table. A small bud-vase, holding a single daisy, was sitting on the table as well as the usual utensils, cups, glasses and plates. Adin was at the stove placing scrambled eggs onto a platter with a spatula, as the bacon sizzled on the griddle.

I stood back and watched as she placed the platter of eggs on the table and spun back to the stove to remove the bacon from the heat and plate the crisp strips of meat. She next pulled the toast from the toaster just as the unit popped the pieces up; they too went onto the same plate as the bacon. Twisting again she pulled open the fridge and pulled out the orange juice.

She pivoted with the platter of toast and bacon in one hand and the pitcher of juice in the other, as she placed the platter onto the table she filled the juice glasses at the same time. Then she returned the juice container to the fridge, while reaching for the coffee pot. She spun, filled the two coffee cups, and then returned the pot to the Mr. Coffee machine.

The whole thing was like a complicated ballet.

She was a delight to watch.

"Breakfast is ready, Kade," she said as she stepped back and turned toward me with a huge smile.

"You are a wonder, my wife!" I said as I pulled her into a hug and kissed the top of her head tenderly.

We talked about this and that as we ate. I told her of the problem back at Carol's Diner, and that we would need to return to town and fix things. After breakfast, I left Adin to do the domestic things, as I returned to my 'office.'

"Kade, are we leaving after you finish up in there?" Adin called through the door.

"Yes."

"Ok."

I briefly wondered why she had asked but Carol's problems quickly drove that question from my mind. I just shrugged my shoulders, and called for Book.

"How may I help you, Kade?"

I quickly described Carol's problems, and asked Book for his thoughts on the matter.

"I think that you must destroy the developer, either physically or financially, and you must do it as soon as is possible. It must be done before he can attack the people at the diner."

"I agree, but how..."

Just then I felt the RV lurch. I jumped up and ran into the living part of the unit, just in time to see Adin entering the front door.

"Are you ok?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Why did the RV lurch like that, then?"

"Oh, that was the stabilizers lifting. The RV will always shake a bit when the stabilizers are lifted and the road suspension takes over. I thought that since you were in a hurry to get going I would help and disconnect all of the land gear. You know, sewer, power and such. We're ready to travel any time that you want."

I felt a wave of relief, and grabbed the surprised girl in a bear hug.

"I thought that something had happened to you," I whispered into her ear.

"I'm fine, my husband. I just wish to serve you the best I can," she said as she hugged me back fiercely.

I was amazed! In fact I was supified at how very much I felt for this little person that had been in my life for such a short time and further I was amazed at all the things that she had done this morning. After seeing the degree of brain destruction yesterday to see her use this much initiative was surprising, to say the least.

"Would you like me to drive while you go back into your room?"

"You can drive this monster?"

"Yes. Master number one included that in my training. I am quite capable of driving this or any big rig."

Suddenly she looked confused as she said, "Or did I know that from before?"

"It doesn't matter, sweetheart. Just drive us to the campground office, so that we can check out."

She brightened and said sweetly, "Ok."

We both went forward and settled into the plush seats. She then went through a very professional procedure of setting the seat, mirrors and steering wheel to accommodate her diminutive form. Next she started the motor and studied all of the gages. Finally, with a smile at me, she drove out of the campsite. By the time we had maneuvered out of our space and moved to the parking space next to the office, I was sure that she could drive the monster of a motor home much better than I could.

I was very impressed, and very proud of her.

"Well ... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!" said the manager as he came out of the office. She handles that thing like a pro, and her bein' so tiny and all..."

Adin stood just under five feet tall, and could not have weighed more than ninety pounds, dripping wet. My girl blushed a deep red at the compliment but hung onto my arm as if she were afraid of the older man. I sensed her fear and felt her trembling.

Suddenly, I felt some magic door open in my mind. I could read the intent of this old pervert. This man was planning on having some of his people attack us that night while we slept, he wanted Adin and our RV would be a nice added profit.

Without a single thought, I reached out with the power and grabbed hold of his heart!

I squeezed until that evil heart stopped beating.

The man's face suddenly contorted in pain! He grabbed at his chest as he fell to the ground. His eyes bulged, and his mouth opened as he gasped for air. He thrashed around for a minute, then just sort of relaxed and lay back, with his open eyes staring up at the cumulous clouds in the vivid blue sky. In seconds a crowd of people, both campground workers and RV travelers, surrounded us.

A woman ran out of the office and fell onto the prone body of the dead man yelling, "Master? Master? What is the matter?"

I let the growing crowd push us out of the way as I asked softly, "Adin, did you know that man?"

"Yes. He was the one that chose me. Master number one was training me for him. He wanted a woman for his son," she said with a shudder.

"Go, get back into the driver's seat, and be ready to move. I will pay the bill, and we'll get out of here."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.