Ghost for Hire - Episode 1 - Cover

Ghost for Hire - Episode 1

Copyright© 2009 by JKing

Epilogue

To a casual passerby the scene would have looked rather odd at first sight. Marie was dressed in a long casual skirt, and a small jacket. She looked stunning and was hugging herself while looking at the pond in the central park. It was morning and sunshine was lazily filtered through the leaves, barely reaching over the tall buildings. The world was colored in a slight warm glow through the red morning haze.

To the world it appeared as if she was talking to empty air. On more closer survey one might notice the almost invisible form of a young man in faded and frayed clothes. He was leaning casually against the large tree at times almost blending with it. It was difficult to say exactly where he started and where the tree ended. His restless yellow eyes missed nothing while he obviously listened to the woman talk.

"Thank you for helping me, John." Marie said, her voice betraying her frustration. She couldn't see John. She had glanced at the birds once, and now she couldn't find him anymore.

"No problem, Marie." John said his voice calm as usual. "You're paying me anyway." He adjusted his black gloves a little. The movement brought him to sudden focus for Marie who was waiting for something to give him up.

She gave a short laugh. "Paying with what?"

He shrugged, still scanning the park. "How much do you have?"

"I am dead. I have nothing." It wasn't quite true, she had some cash - but she couldn't have made too obvious moves to liquefy her assets, as the Inquisition would be through in their search of her supposed murderer. She stared him carefully, concentrating on seeing him. She could have sworn he was transparent. She idly speculated if he truly even existed.

He turned to look at her, considering. "So what's your story, then?"

"What?"

"What makes you different? I know you're not a norm."

She sighed. "I am empath. I sense the minutia of human bodies and their emotions. I am sensitive to these things." She looked at him. "That's why I am a bit thrown off by you. You don't work quite like anything or anyone I've ever met before." Marie knew that was understatement by several orders of magnitude.

He nodded. "Well, I'm afraid you'll have to work your debt off. I can't work for free, the word would get around sooner or later." He shrugged, and the motion was expansive enough that he seemed suddenly solidify in front of her. Once again, for the moment, she was sure that he was real as she was despite how difficult it was her to see him.

She looked at him puzzled.

He returned her stare levelly. "I could use your skills. Besides, I've always wanted my own secretary."

She smiled. "Oh, really?" To her own surprise, Marie found herself looking forwards to the next day. She had a feeling that this work would be much more challenging and satisfying than the work she had been involved in the Inquisition. Besides, she had her puzzle to crack. She wanted to find out more about John, he was beyond mysterious.

"Yeah." John said, and resumed his guard.

"From top Inquisitor to private secretary in one night..." Marie said softly, musing. She didn't bother anymore to try to keep him in focus. Instead she concentrated watching the water ripple.

"It's good to be on the top finally, eh?" His voice came from what looked like a tree.

She laughed. "Indeed."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.