Ghost for Hire - Episode 1
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2009 by JKing

The director waited for Marie, tiredly. The mission hadn't gone as planned, obviously, since he was receiving her report. He had received some preliminary reports from the rest of the team. He was waiting for her to give her version of it. It was the Inquisition's directive never to receive reports in paper. The reports were in form of oral interrogation, taped and stored under several layers of encryption and protection.

Empaths could usually tell from the tape whether anyone was lying. Except other empaths, of course. So Marie's report would be rock solid - which was one of the reason why Marie had requested the interview to be delayed until she had chance to sleep. Director had reluctantly agreed to have the questioning done at evening. It also gave him chance to listen the other team members beforehand. Unfortunately, none of them knew much at all. Once the sun set, Marie appeared to the office. Director began the questioning. He wanted every detail, and all steps.

"I understand you contacted him, despite my command not to?" He interrupted her once she reached the first sighting of the man in her report. He was slightly annoyed by her report, it was delivered in that detached manner of hers that reminded him that she wasn't really pure human.

"No sir. I tried to follow them, I had a ... feeling that I should see what he was following them for. At the time I was not sure he was the one we were looking for, but it certainly came to be soon enough."

"So, how did you establish dialog with him?"

"In a moment, sir." And she proceeded to explain detailedly the scene of crime taking care to establish the obvious skill of this man. She explained how she was found alone in her room, without any protection from any hunters. She took care to establish the lack of consideration for her health that this revealed. In fact, the two soldiers were about to shoot her before the intent was spread all over her hotel room by .45 bullets.

"He saved your life?" The Director asked, incredulous.

"Yes, sir. Then he told me to ask him anything I wanted, so that we could know what we wanted of him and then leave him alone."

"That were his words?"

"Not verbatim, but he left very little to imagination."

"Quite interesting."

"Yes, sir."

"So, what did you find out?"

"Very little sir. He is a professional, has some supernatural abilities. We are not sure the exact nature of them, but ability to hide and disappear is one of them. He is excellent shot with nearly impossible ratio of hits versus misses."

"Impossible ratio?"

"I would estimate ninety nine shots of hundred hit their targets, sir. He is also able to aim independently with two guns with equal accuracy. That, sir, I find impossible accuracy."

There was a pause. "I agree, Marie. Continue."

"He told me very little, but he is private sector. Apparently available for hire by anyone. He had been hired to take out a certain powerful vampire, and the kills were because he was destroying the base of power of his target."

"Forcing him to act."

"Yes, sir. Before we left the city, he had killed all members of Team Black, the mercenaries hired by the vampire. And an antique shop exploded in the city, and a certain car burned at the outskirts of the city. We believe the vampire is dead, he does not strike me as the type to fail in his missions."

"Quite. From what I have heard of ... I must agree."

"We estimate that he killed thirty of the most powerful vampires in the city, and several dangerous dimensional beings. There were some human casualties, but no innocent bystanders. He shook up the power structure of the city in our favor." She hesitated. "He also said that I should watch my back, because he'd been offered a large sum for targeting inquisition, but he had already accepted his current assignment."

"He said so?"

"Yes, sir..."

"What is it?"

"Just a thought, sir. I would not want to be target of someone who would willing to pay for someone good as him. I suspect he is very expensive."

"Ah. Quite, I see..." He drifted. Marie pressed the button in her pen. A distant sound seemed to fill the room, she dropped the pen quietly to the floor. Out of sight from the Director.

"Sir?" She spoke.

"Yes?"

"Do you want me to finish my report?"

"Does it contain anything important?"

"No, sir. I do not believe so."

"Then, consider this case closed. Please compile a file of this..." He frowned. "Do you know what his name is?"

"He said his name was Eric."

"Very well. Make a file of what you know of this Eric, and submit it to the archives. You should take some time off, this has been a trying mission."

"Yes, sir." Marie said and left the lush office. As she was closing the door, she heard a small crack behind her and a thump. The secretary looked up at the noise. Marie took care to close the door and spoke to the secretary.

"The Director did not wish to be disturbed, I will visit the archives and be back, the interview has not ended yet."

"Understood, Honored Inquisitor." The blond answered returning her attention to the magazine.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.