Starting Over
Chapter 16: Court Appearance

Copyright© 2008 by Little Owl

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 16: Court Appearance - Can a forty-something single mother really start over when the odds are against her?

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Romantic  

Trisha stayed to herself for the next couple of weeks at work; even avoiding John as much as possible. She couldn't avoid going to him to request the time off for the court date, however. When she did, John offered to listen if she needed to talk about what was going on, but she declined. Trisha wanted Mark to feel like he had someone to go to; she didn't want to intrude in on his confidante or put John in the middle. Her concern about the court date paled in comparison to her concern for Mark.

An excruciating, and lonely, two weeks later, Trisha walked alone up the front steps to the court house. She met her attorney inside the security gate and they talked as they walked toward the assigned courtroom. Trisha was going through the motions, and she knew it; so did her attorney. A couple of times Trisha's attorney stopped and questioned her about her attitude.

"You've got to get your mind around the here and now. Jeff is going to prove his case in there, if you don't snap out of it!" her attorney warned.

"I know, you're right," Trisha conceded. "I've just had a rough couple of weeks."

Trisha looked up as they approached the courtroom to see a large group of people milling around in the hallway. Immediately, she felt tears well in her eyes. From within the group, Mark emerged and strode quickly to her.

"I'm Mark Babcock." While Mark introduced himself to her attorney, he did not take his eyes off of Trisha.

"What are you doing here?" Trisha questioned, wanting to be angry and yet wanting him to hold her tight.

"I've been a jerk and I want to apologize," Mark began. "I told myself that if I stayed away you'd have a better chance of keeping the boys; after all, Jeff hadn't really started this until I came into the picture. And, I didn't know how to handle what you told me about Jeremy. At first I felt betrayed, but I couldn't get the look on your face out of my mind. John and Joe convinced me that I was being selfish; that you must be tearing your heart out about this, and not just about Jeremy leaving but about my leaving, as well. John told me how you've been avoiding everyone at work, even him. So, I had to figure out some way to see you and have you hear me. I've missed you so much, Sweet; I don't want to be without you for that long again." Tentatively, Mark opened his arms. Not even paying attention to her surroundings, Trisha fell into his warm embrace and they both started crying.

"Is it time to see the judge, yet?" someone from the crowd asked.

"Almost; I think the lawyer went to go check," said another.

"I'm glad Mark finally apologized. He can be a big ass sometimes," added a third.

"Only sometimes?" offered a fourth.

As Mark and Trisha began to chuckle and wipe the tears from their eyes, they surveyed the crowd around them. Trisha began to cry all over again. John and his wife, Denise, were there, with many other employees from the alarm company, Marsha and Janice included. To her surprise, Trisha also noticed Mark's brother, Joe, his wife, Jessie and Mark's parents.

"Your parents?!" she whispered to Mark.

"As soon as they found out about this, they insisted on flying back," Mark replied.

"Your mom is so sweet," Trisha noted.

"Mom had nothing to do with it," Mark explained, as the group started to file into the court room.

Trisha sat listening to all the accusations that Jeff and his family spewed out. She was appalled that they would say those things, and embarrassed that her friends had to hear it. Trisha's attorney brought forth the findings from Children's Services and a child psychologist showing how Greg and Peter were emotionally and physically well-cared-for. Jeff's attorney brought forth information regarding Jeremy, and the trouble he encountered at school and after graduation. Then the attorneys started to argue about the physical relationships of the parents and their respective partners. A number of times the judge had to quiet down the attorneys during the heated discussions. At these times, Mark just held Trisha's hand tighter.

Finally, the judge made his decision known.

"I've heard the arguments and read the reports," began the judge. "I've also had a chance to visit with the minor children, myself. They are charming boys, by the way; very intelligent," he added, nodding toward Trisha. "I don't see any basis for a change in custody or in any further investigation of child welfare for the mother. Minor children will remain living with the mother, the father shall retain visitation rights under the current arrangements, and the mother will retain sole custody. I, however, noticed a discrepancy with the child support. Since it hasn't been adjusted in three years, I want to see current financials for both parties on my desk in one week, at which time I will make my decision regarding support."

After a heavy sigh, the judge continued, looking out over the galley. "I would like to also express, to everyone involved, my hope that, for all the children's sakes, you learn to cooperate with each other more. I understand there was a reason for the divorce, and there might be a lot of hurt still between the two families, and the parents. But, you are the adults in this family and you should act like it! Stop calling each other names around the boys, and stop trying to sway them one way or the other. The minor children love you. But, they are smart boys and see your faults as well."

With the final bang of the gavel, the hearing was over. As Trisha, her attorney and all Trisha's supporters were leaving, they were met by stabbing glares from Jeff's family. The only one Trisha noticed, however, was her son, Jeremy. He was sitting in the back and caught her eye just before she had to turn her head away so she wouldn't run into the door.

"Thank you," Mark said, extending his hand toward Trisha's attorney once outside the courtroom.

"Thank you," she replied, shaking his hand. "Having you all here, I think, actually helped Trisha's case. The judge was able to see "the village" that was supporting Trisha and her boys. Look," she continued, turning toward Trisha, "I need to run. Fax my assistant your latest pay stub and I'll let you know about the adjustment."

"Thank you," Trisha said, as her attorney turned to leave.

"Is anyone else hungry?" Joe asked, breaking through Trisha's fog. She kept her eyes on the door to the courtroom as Jeff and his family left.

"I could use some lunch," John replied, watching Trisha as she watched the door. "What about you, Trisha?"

"Huh?" Trisha was momentarily pulled back to this reality. Just then, Jeremy exited the courtroom and stopped. When their eyes met, she couldn't look away; there was a gentleness in them she hadn't seen in a long time. "I'll be right back, guys."

Mark and the others watched as she walked over to the young man by the doorway.

"Hi," Trisha said quietly when she was close enough to be heard.

"Hi," Jeremy said, his eyes darting from her to the group she just left.

"So, you were supporting your father in his suit. I'm sorry you lost." Trisha tried not to sound accusing but she hadn't gotten over the pain he had inflicted over two years before.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.