A Cloud Over Brenham - Cover

A Cloud Over Brenham

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 10: Family Meeting

We arrived back at the Monastery in Larkin, appearing before Athos. I held onto Thomasina and regarded our reception committee of one. "Greetings, Athos, I beg leave to enter this monastery," I said formally.

Athos smiled. "Some may say that you have already done so, Lord John, but I am happy to grant you entry here, may you be at peace while you remain here."

I offered Twilight to Athos but he refused. "I know that your sword will not be needed, but you are the best person to hold that blade. Milord Abbot asks that you meet him as soon as you return ... but where is your steed?" Athos enquired.

"He's returned to his main duty. You are aware that he was a man under a spell, one that has now been reversed." I said.

Athos frowned, "Nay, but that sounds like a tale I would like to hear."

I could see tears on Thomasina's face and so I shook my head, "Not just yet, please lead us to the Abbot."

Athos hesitated looking at Thomasina, but then nodded. "Very well, please follow me."


The abbot was reading a book when we arrived. He put it down and welcomed us. "So, Lord John, you have found the truth about your charge?" He said as a matter of fact.

I nodded, "I have. Couldn't you have told me? It would have made a difference."

He smiled at me, "Really? How? You thought her the offspring of a peasant, but still protected her. How would knowing she was of your own flesh and blood be any different? She's still a child, she still needs protection," he pointed out

I sighed, "All right then, it would have made a difference to me; I would have put her through the portal to home where Margaret would be able to look after her. I wouldn't have kept her here where she's in danger."

The abbot steepled his fingers, looking at me over the points he made. "Would she have learnt how to use her powers? She is the daughter of a seer and a King of power, when she is properly trained her power would be unimaginable. Would we be able to control her?" He looked at Thomasina and gave a shake of her head, "no. She would be beyond our control. So she had to learn the truth about the world, see the hardships that people face and how they overcome them. Travelling with you has given her the insight she will need."

I frowned. "What insight? All she's seen is how the people live and how the royalty treat them. Is that any lesson to learn?"

The abbot smiled. "Walk a mile in those shoes to learn about how others live. She knows about hardship and the effects that others have. You've watched her when she's angry. Is she vindictive? Abusive?"

I shook my head, feeling Thomasina's eyes boring into my back (since when had she changed from being Thomas to Thomasina? I wasn't sure). "Not at all; when she was threatened, she was able to control her feelings and do what was necessary, but there is a touch of steel in her."

The abbot nodded, "As there is in your family, Ambassador." He said pointing to a corner of the room. I turned to look there and found Susan seated facing us.

"Daughter, you're looking well." I said with a bow.

Susan frowned. "Not well, Father but recovering, tell me why did you bow to me? You are my Sire; I should bow to you instead."

I shook my head, "No, Daughter, you are the oldest regent in this room. I gave up the throne when I abdicated, but I would like to introduce you to your niece, Thomasina."

Thomasina drew herself up at my words.

"Niece, I'm please to meet you. I'm sorry that you have lost your parents at such a young age. I'm also angry at my brother for not letting me in on your secret." Susan held out her hands, not in a beckoning gesture, but one of measure. "Your power is immense, I've never felt such power ... well not since—" She looked at me.

Thomasina returned the gesture and then looked troubled. "But, Aunt, your power is almost as great as mine, and your heart is pure ... I beg that you look after me in the time to come." As she spoke this last her eyes had lost their focus, and she seemed to be looking at something in the distance.

I spoke gently to her. "What time to come?"

She turned and smiled at me, "Why, when we meet up with my Uncle, Grandfather. You, me and Aunt Susan." She turned again to Susan and tilted her head to one side, "But you have something strange inside you Aunt. What are they?"

Susan gave a giggle. "They are helping me with my healing, as they are searching out the drugs that I had been fed by my brother over the years and repairing the damage that he did to me." She looked at me. "They are nanites from the machine world. Since I had never used the Portal systems before the Green Lady and Red Queen couldn't remove the deep seated poisons so they suggested this as the only way to fight them. The only problem is that I have to eat more food than I'm used to." Then her smile brightened. "But at least I don't put on weight."

"I am told that when they have cured her completely, they will remove themselves from her system without any detrimental effects on her," the abbot said smiling as if at a joke.

"Very well, but we have to sort out what we're going to do about 'King Harold'. I can't see us just marching up to the castle and taking it over, do you?" I said, picturing the results.

Thomasina looked at me with her blank eyes. "That's exactly what we are going to do, Grandfather." And her hair started to move, growing back to the length it was before Genius had cut it. power seemed to radiate from her bathing us in its aurora.

The abbot and Susan nodded, appearing to agree with her words, and becoming anxious to start off.

I offhandedly waved to dissipate the effect. "That won't work with me, Granddaughter, but I will listen to your idea without a glamour effect," I said, having worked out what she had done.

Thomasina stamped her feet. "I thought that would be enough. We have to confront my Uncle in his castle, that's how I've seen it." She said contritely.

"Did you see how we arrived?" I asked, noticing that Susan and the Abbot had now returned to their normal state.

Thomasina gave a smug smile. "Oh, yes."


It was four days later that a group of five walked to the boundary line of Brenham. The guard there held up his hand. "Halt, you have to pay a toll to use the King's Highway."

The man in the front frowned. "Since when was a free road blocked by ruffians?"

"Hold your tongue; we represent the King of Brenham. You will pay a toll, and now a fine for your insolence." The guard said, and two more appeared to back up his words, each with sword drawn.

Another man approached from the back of the group. "I am of the Church. Allow me passage." It was the abbot in a simple monk's coverall.

"Only those of the Church of Brenham can have free passage. You have to pay as well, Priest." The surly guard said.

"But the church does not have money for such things; we provide for the poor of the land," The abbot protested.

"Well, the poor king of Brenham will welcome your contributions, Priest," the guard replied quickly, the attention now being removed from the first group as a greater target was presented.

The man in the now-forgotten group quietly drew his sword from its sheath as the three women and second man moved out of the zone of action while the abbot protested his piety and lack of funds. "Would you take arms against a man of the Church?"

The guards laughed. "Aye, we would. There be good pickings from the robes you have; our own priests need them when they're not drinking in the taverns."

The Abbot glared at them. "Your priests frequent taverns? What of the well-being of the people? How do they tend to them?"

"Why, Priest, that's simple. Most of the folk drink in the taverns, so where else would you find them? I wanted to be a priest, but I wasn't chosen." The guard was smiling.

"Nay, not many are called to the priesthood," the Abbot agreed.

"It wasn't that, it was just they had the full number from the guards, so I lost out. I hated not being in that group; it's a money maker, and the number of women you can have..." He raised his eyebrows suggestively.

"That is not the duty of a priest, and chastity is the virtue that all priests should follow." The abbot said, shocked.

"Might be of your religion, but in ours, they have to do what the priests say ... or else. And the number of dissenters that have been found out in the confessionary, we're filling the dungeons," the guard said, seeing the effects that his words were having on the priest before him.

"The Seal of the Confession is not to be used against the people; they confess their sins to the priests of the Supreme One and through him they are absolved of all guilt," the Abbot protested.

"Ah, but now they confess their sins and the King gives them their punishment and takes their houses from them. That's the way it is now."

"But what of their wives, their children? What happens to them?" the Abbot asked.

"They have to live on the streets or sell themselves to the soldiers as they help to support the king. And the troops should be rewarded for their hard work. That's why I want to be back in the city; I've got my eye on a nice girl." The guard finished with a wink to his friends who laughed.

"I think that is enough. My people will not suffer from you anymore." A quiet voice spoke from beside me and drew all eyes to ... Thomasina.

The guard turned to face her and put his hands onto his hips. "And what the hells is a brat like you going to do, eh?" He turned to his comrades, "Put me in my place? Tell me off? Oh I'm so scared." He added in a sarcastic tone and with the laugher of the men accompanying him.

"You will be. BRAN TO ME!" Thomasina called out and the forest went quiet as a large figure appeared on the path.

"You called, My Queen?" Bran o'the forest said, dropping onto one knee.

"I thank you for coming here. These people have been subjugating my people and bragging about it. Could I ask if you would deal with them?" Thomasina asked with a smile that Bran returned.

"Oh yes, My Queen. I know just what to do with them." Bran clapped his hands and immediately the guards were surrounded by Fae, who bound them up in vines and carried them away.

Thomasina nodded her pleasure at this and then regarded the guard's hut and the barrier blocking the way. She frowned at it. "That will never do; the highway should be clear of such clutter. Transformus."

The hut shuddered and then moved to one side, grew larger and wider, the barrier twisted around to become a rail supported by posts and leading to an inn, empty at the moment, but Bran nodded.

"I know just the people to tend to that. They will be happy there," he said, and then vanished.

Thomasina nodded and then turned to smile at me. "You're right Grandfather, Bran isn't that scary."

Then we heard, "Only when I don't want to be, Child." It was Bran's voice, and that made me laugh.

"You'll have to apologise to him later," I told Thomasina

The abbot was shaking his head. "The nerve of those so-called priests, debauching themselves instead of looking after the people ... There will be changes, you mark my words. I won't have priests doing that—"

"Your Lordship? They are not real priests; they are just men who have not had the training," I pointed out.

He nodded and said to Athos (who was the fifth member of our group), "When we have sorted this out, those who would pretend to be priests will learn what an acolyte has to learn before we release them."

It had been decided that although Susan, Thomasina, and I would deal with Harold, and the abbot and Athos would sort out the spiritual side of the town. Genius was with us just for protection where needed.


The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.