A Cloud Over Brenham - Cover

A Cloud Over Brenham

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 8: The King at Larkin

From outside the monastery's gate, a loud voice sounded. "By the grace of the Supreme One, his servant King Harold of Brenham demands entry."

Athos, as the gatekeeper, replied. "The monastery will allow entry to the King of Brenham. His men will disarm and will go with the brothers to the refectory while the abbot will be honoured to meet with the king and discuss the current situation."

"Not acceptable. His Highness therefore demands that the abbot come out here to explain the actions of the Church with regards to the false imprisonment of one of his men at Lake Town. This action shows that the Church is acting against the will of The Supreme One. Should the abbot decline the king's order, then we will lay siege to the monastery. You have five minutes to decide on your actions, but be aware that the results of those actions are on your heads."

By this time the abbot and myself had positioned ourselves next to Athos, who turned to the abbot, "My Lord, I cannot allow you to leave this monastery; there's no telling what than man might try with you in his power."

"This is true, My Brother, but should I decide not to meet with King Harold, then the role of the Church would be at risk. Should they lay siege to us, how would our priests get their supplies of holy items? How would we send out messages to our friends?" the abbot asked with a smile.

Athos didn't return his smile. "They know not of the passageways out of here, and should we fail to contact our Priests then they will seek out their dukes and Kings and request that they assemble here, but you know this Lord Abbot, why do you test me?"

"Because, Brother Athos, the best metal is constantly tested and you always prove true. Now is the time of your greatest test; you are to take up the mantle of the abbot of this realm. Take my hand..." The abbot reached out and then Athos grasped his hand.

There were a few moments when neither spoke, and then Athos looked to the abbot, "I was not aware of this, nor of my parentage. I see why this was so." He turned to me. "Ambassador as you see my knowledge can be passed on through all my brother androids so should my brother fail to return then I will take up his robes."

I turned to the abbot. "My Lord Abbot, I didn't mean for you to be in peril, I should be out there meeting my son, not you." I protested.

"Not at all, My Son, I have been abbot for too long and need a rest; Abbot Athos will be suitable as my replacement." The abbot was complacent with his decision, but I wasn't.

"Al, camouflage mode ... duplicate the features and clothing of the Abbot, voice coder to mimic the Abbots' voice."

"You've got it, Boss." Al said, and I was soon a duplicate of the Abbot.

"Open the gate and let me leave. I, Ambassador John of the Android World command this," I said to Athos. I realised that, now that the programming of Athos's android body had been completed; he would have to obey my orders.

Stumbling, Athos placed his hands on the gate. "Ambassador, I would ask that you not do this; by your office I should be protecting you not allowing you to leave this place." I could tell that the order was affecting his actions as his duty tried to override his new condition.

"I understand that, Android Athos, but I require you to do this and to restrain the android there from following me. This is a Prime Directive order. Do you understand?" I said, knowing that by including the words 'Prime Directive' the pathways would adjust to follow this order.

"Please, Ambassador, I would ask -" Athos tried once more

"No, Athos, I have to do this. Do not interfere," I said, and stepped out through the gate, which closed behind me.


I approached the herald, who stood his ground. "I am here to see your King, please lead the way."

The herald seemed nonplussed at my arrival. "But you shouldn't be here, you're supposed to be..." He shook his head and then stood straight. "Thank you, Lord Abbot, if you will walk ahead of me and the guards will -"

"I can see the way, My Son and I'm sure that the guards will not be needed. But if your king feels that he needs the protection from an unarmed person such as I, then by all means let them protect him. I need no such protection myself, as you see," I said and walked quickly towards the tent that had been erected for Harold's protection.

The herald had to run to keep up with me due to the pace I set but he was soon keeping up with me. "So how long have you had this duty, My Son?" I asked him.

"I ... I've been ... been with ... the king ... for four days ... Lord Abbot." He panted his answer.

I smiled. "Only four days? Well My Son, I would suggest that you try to hide your shock when people do things that you're not ready for. A herald should be able to accept things with dignity and aplomb. Do you play cards?"

"Cards, Your Lordship? ... I don't understand," he said, starting to slow down as he spoke but then he raced to keep up with me

"I suggest you study a game called Poker, learn how to bluff and to watch others to see what they are trying to hide. For example, you were told that I would not appear and that you were to call a siege, stopping all commerce with the monastery and preventing the running of the priesthood. Such an action would force other rulers to come to the monastery's aid and thus embroil the whole world in a war that could kill everyone, should Harold's hidden armoury be used."

The herald began to reply, but then stopped himself. I smiled. "That's better, you're learning. Now, when we enter the King's tent, I suggest you announce me and then make yourself scarce. What he and I have to talk about should not be heard by anyone else."

The herald stopped and called to me, "Lord Abbot, the king has several men hidden behind curtains waiting for you. I would urge caution when meeting him."

I regarded the man. "Were you told to say this?" I asked him, wondering what he was doing.

But the herald shook his head and spoke in a low tone, "No, Lord Abbot, but what the king is doing is not right, but I'm not certain if I should say this out loud, if I were you I'd turn around and return to the safety of the Monastery." His eyes were pleading with me as he said this.

I reached out a hand and patted him on the shoulder. "Be at peace, My Son. Sometimes we have to do things that many fear to do, if only to show they can be done. I will face up to King Harold and try to convince him of his transgressions." I gestured to the tent, and the herald led the way.


"His Lordship the Abbot of Larkin Monastery awaits entry," The herald announced at the flap of the tent.

"The king is busy at the moment. The Abbot will have to wait," A surly voice responded from inside the tent.

The herald looked at me in apology, but I smiled and spoke to the surly voice, "Then you'll have to explain why you sent me away. I'm not here to wait while the king pisses around," I said, and turned to leave.

The tent flap moved aside and a man dressed in flamboyant armour walked towards me. "The king has not given you leave to depart. You are to remain here."

I shook my head. "No, My Son, the Supreme One has given us a nice warm day, too warm to stand around for no good reason. I will withdraw to the stream yonder and bathe my feet. That is a much better choice," I said with a smile on my lips as my actions followed my words. But I didn't get a few steps before the man stopped me.

"That is not what the king demands! You will remain here." He placed his hand on his sword hilt.

I shook my head slowly. "Do you believe that you are doing a wise thing My Son? I am an unarmed man with no way of defending myself -"

"What are you on about, Boss? I can stun him from here," Al protested into my ear.

"- and as abbot I do not use force when words are sufficient," I said to both Al and the guardsman.

"Oh. Gotcha Boss. Okay, but I'm keeping him in my sensors. If he tries to attack he's going to be unconscious," Al said.

"I am here telling you what you're going to do." The guardsman was persistent in his duty and his hands started to withdraw his sword from its sheath.

"Then may the Supreme One watch over you in this, your trial." I said, trying to sound mysterious, and walked on.

I heard the sword move again but didn't turn. In the visor I was wearing Al was displaying the guardsman's action. He looked to the sky and then had pushed his sword back into the sheath, and then he started to walk towards me.

"His Royal Highness will see you now, Lord Abbot." He said losing the contest and knowing his defeat.

"I am glad to hear that. You will ensure that the tent is empty, as what I have to discuss with his highness will be private. You may stand outside the tent to hear if your master calls out. After all I am an abbot of the Church, and you never know how dangerous I might be." I turned and walked to the tent.

This caught the guardsman out and he had to run to get to the tent before I got there. "I have to announce you to the King," he said.

"Well, you better hurry up; I'm just about to enter," I told him, and it was a very close thing, but he got there first.

I turned to the herald. "And when people demand things, surprise them and do those things. It upsets all their plans. Remember that next time you make a proclamation."


The tent was smoky and dark, but thanks to Al I was able to see clearly, and due to the filters on the visor, my breathing was unimpaired. "Let there be peace within this tent," I intoned.

Harold was seated on a chair reading a book. He barely looked up at my words. "So what is your excuse, Brother?" Neglecting the honorific of Abbot, he was trying to belittle me.

I saw another chair nearby and so sat down. "The church requires no excuses, we are here to offer aid to all those who fall by the wayside, My Son."

He looked up from his book. "I haven't fallen and I didn't give you permission to sit. I am your king, and you will respect my position," he said, and I could see movement from behind a curtain as a guard moved his feet.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.