Second Age of Discovery: the Explorers - Cover

Second Age of Discovery: the Explorers

Copyright© 2008 by Futurist

Chapter 16

Jay was the first off the airplane and onto the concourse in Orlando. His brother Dave, and their girlfriends, Amy and Mary were right behind him.

Jay grinned and said, "First Class is certainly the only way to fly!"

Dave gave his older brother a bleary-eyed nod, and hugged Mary close. Jay frowned, he wasn't sure how much of that hug was affection, and how much was much needed support to steady him after his four in-flight martinis. Amy giggled prettily, skipped into Jay's arms, and gave him a crushing hug. Her arms snaked up under Jay's to the back of his head and pulled him down for a four-alarm kiss.

Amy broke the kiss, and said breathlessly, "I can't believe we are staying at Disney World!"

Ebulliently, Jay said, "Well now that we have GI2 as the sponsor for the Air Meet season, the sky's the limit!"

Mary looked over and said, gratefully, "Thank you for insisting that we get sponsorships, too!"

Jay blushed, and said, "Yeah well, I just made it a package deal so that you two wouldn't be able to chicken out!"

Amy slapped him playfully on the chest. Eyes dancing with mirth, she said, "Well, buster, now we are going to make you pay by beating you!"

Dave slurred, "I still can't believe they let you partner as one of the promoters."

"Well, its not as if they really need more cash flow! They just saw it as a way to get a huge boost in exposure, without having to pay Madison Avenue advertising firms," Jay said.

Pulling Amy to his side, but still hugging her close, Jay started toward the baggage claim area. Dave and Mary followed along, if a bit unsteadily. However, as soon as they left the terminal security area, they saw a limo driver, in Disney Uniform, holding up a placard that said, "Herriman, party of four."

Amy squealed in excitement, "Hey! That must be for us!"

As they stepped up to the driver, he looked them over and said, "Are you the Herriman party?"

Jay grinned and answered, "Why, yes. Yes, we are."

The driver smiled back, dropped the placard to his side, and held out his hand to shake Jay's. He said, "Welcome to Orlando and the Disney World Resorts, sir! My name is Ronald, and if you don't mind my saying so, it's a great pleasure and my personal honor to take you to your lodging! We can leave immediately; your baggage will be forwarded directly to your condo. Please follow me."

With that, with occasional glances over his shoulder to make sure they were still with him, Ronald lead them out of the air conditioned terminal building, into the muggy heat, and across the second level drive to the parking structure. While the girls chatted merrily, both Jay and Dave were rubbernecking, looking at the tropical plants, since this was their first trip to Florida, and they had never seen a palm tree outside of a pot.

Immediately inside the Parking Garage, Ronald led them to a sleek, black, stretch limousine and opened the door. Jay handed Amy inside, and asked, "How long will it take us to get to the Resort, Ronald?"

"This time of day? I can take you through the Staff Only entrance. So it will only take thirty minutes, as long as there isn't an accident on the Expressway. Please feel free to make use of the full wet bar, sir," Ronald replied. 

Shaking his head, Jay said, pointedly, "I think we had quite enough on the flight. Don't you, Dave?"

Dave nodded miserably as he got into the limo. He already seemed to be going from slightly drunk to hung over.

Then he asked, "Is there some fruit juice in there?"

Mary opened the refrigerator and fished around until she pulled out two cans in each hand.

She announced, "We have, tomato, orange, grapefruit and apple juice. Which would you like baby?"

Dave leaned against the door, propped his head up with one hand, and said, "Ugh. Just give me the tomato. I feel like crap."

Mercilessly, Jay said, with some heat, "I told you to take it easy! Man, just because you can drink legally, doesn't mean you should make a fool of yourself. Remember, all I was able to get for you three was travel expenses. If you want to make any money you need to do well in the events."

In a disbelieving voice, Mary said, "I just can't believe they set the prize money so high!"          

Amy broke in, and added effusively, "Yeah, 50K for first in each event! Plus, they added three events!"

Jay admonished, "That's all great, but how many participants do you think there are going to be? We are only paying out to the top five finishers in each event. It makes it sound bigger then it is. I mean on the Pro Bowling or Golfing tours, they pay out to the top one hundred places!"

Amy asked, "Can't you change that, Jay? Aren't you the promoter?"

Jay grinned ruefully, and answered, "Well, yes and no. This is only our first meet. Although we got one huge sponsor, we haven't got any others. Nor have we any advertising money, yet. I can't pay out money we don't have. But, you're right. Eventually, once we get the television ratings on this event, we'll get the revenue stream going, and be able to increase both the number and amount of the prizes. A lot of it will depend on the ratings this first meet gets."

Mary's eyes seemed to focus on a distant point on the horizon, then after a moment, she looked back at them and said, "I'm still not sure which will be better, having you dominate, or having someone beat you."

"Doesn't matter which is better. We'll all just have to try our best, and see what happens. I'm pretty sure we'll get good ratings either way," Jay said, with a hint of warning in his voice.

By then, the stretch limo was pulling into a back entrance to the resort area, marked 'Employees Only'. Jay and Dave were like two little boys set lose in a candy store. They didn't know which part of the beautifully manicured grounds to look at first. Even this back route for employees only, had row after row of stately palms, flowering shrubs, and elegant flowerbeds. When the white sand beaches appeared at their left, the limo slowed and turned down a long drive that led to a small cluster of buildings.

Each building was done in a slightly different color scheme. The limo smoothly slid to a stop in front of one with Tangerine Orange walls and bright green trim. The sign in front said 'The Tangerine Bungalow'. While they were still staring at the beautiful grounds and landscaping, the driver opened the door, and helped Amy out.

Jay stepped out, and into the heat and of the day and the humidity of the day hit him like a hammer. Jay turned and helped Mary out. Then as his brother climbed out, he said, "Man, I am sure glad we came down here a week early! I need to get used to this heat!"

Ronald led them to the front door, produced a key to open the door, and let them enter before him. None of them made it five feet inside before being shocked into immobility. What had seemed a modest bungalow from the front had an open courtyard, with a pool, a hot tub, a huge barbeque pit, and a dozen lounge chairs for sunbathing.

Ronald cleared his throat to break the silence, and said, "Gentlemen? Ladies? If I could, may have your attention, please? These," he handed each of them a key ring with two key cards apiece, "are the keys to the bungalow and your individual suites. The larger one works on this door, and the smaller one works on your rooms. All of the facilities are here at your disposal., and the Concierge will be by later, to explain things further. You can summon me to bring the car at any time by pressing 'D', or '3' on the phone at any time."

Picking up a handset off the wall, he dialed 2, and said, "Just press C, or 2 to summon the Concierge. Like I just did." He held up one finger to them, and said, "Betsy? Yes, it's Ronald. We've just arrived, so you're on. Hugs and kisses, girl!"

Ronald hung up the phone and said, "Betsy is your Concierge, she will explain to you the various entertainment, dining and recreational activities that are available. Now, do you have any questions for me?"

Flabbergasted, Mary asked, "Who's paying for all of this?"

With a broad smile, Ronald said, "Why, your sponsor is of course!"

Amy squeaked, "Troy? Troy Blackdeer, is personally paying for this?"

Frowning a bit, Jay answered the question for Ronald, "Amy, well ... yes, he is, sort of. He told his people to set it up, but I don't know how much personal interest he has in us."

Mary squealed, "Oh! My! God! Troy Blackdeer, the man that invented the Grav Belts has taken a personal interest in us?"

Wincing at the noise from the girls Dave scowled, and said sourly, "Yeah? So? Just keep it down a bit will yah? I'm going to go lay down for a bit."

Sighing at his brother's back, Jay caught the look the two girls shared, but pretended he hadn't seen them rolling their eyes. Ronald maintained a professional decorum, but only waited until Betsy arrived and left with a tip of his cap, and a rueful grin.

Betsy was a kindly looking, bleached blond, middle-aged woman with a full figure. She wore a light floral patterned dress showing a broad expanse of her tanned breasts, and a huge floppy straw hat. Betsy wasn't satisfied when Jay offered her a hand to shake, she tuttuttedtut-tutted, and pulled him into an effusive maiden-aunt hug.

She said, winningly, "Now, no need to be so formal. We're all going to be good friends." And she pulled the girls each in, for their own motherly hug. She looked at them with a flicker of her eyebrow, and a huge smile.

Betsy asked, "Where's Dave? Your fourth member?"

Jay gave a barking laugh, mimed taking a drink, and answered, "He over indulged on the trip down. Not surprising, really, since he just turned eighteen, and had never flown before,. Let alone flying First Class."

Betsy brightened, and asked, disarmingly, "Well, then, why don't we order some lunch? Then, I'll show you the brochures. and you can then start planning your week's activities, here at the Disney Resorts!"

Adam collected his prize just in time. He paid off the amount due with a twinge of conscience. What with the need to pay the registration fee for the Air Meet and get a hotel in Orlando, he was pushing his bank balance into dangerous territory.

Mr. Lee, the plastic firm's Sales Manager, tried one last time to find out what Adam needed with such an odd piece of custom plastic for. Looking back and forth between Adam and the newly delivered roll of plastic, he asked, "You sure you won't tell me what you're going to use that for?"

Adam smiled and shook his head in negation. He answered carefully, "I won't tell you what it's for, today, but, by Saturday, you'll know. The whole world will know."

Slightly dazed by his answer, Mr. Lee just nodded at his back, as Adam turned and walked out of the sales office. Back on the street, Adam activated his Gravity Belt, and sprang into the air. It was a bit awkward trying to make headway while holding onto the bundle of plastic. So he stuck the plastic bag that it was wrapped with into his mouth to free both hands, and was free to speed back to his house.

I still need to do my test run. I just want to do it secretly, so I can surprise Jay at the Air Meet! It will be fun hoisting that cocky little bastard by his own petard! he thought to himself.

He mentally reviewed his plan to test the Airfoil. Just before dawn tomorrow, he was going to go down to the beach with his wings as normal. This time, however, he would be carrying the Airfoil, and the other gear he needed, strapped to his back. He was going to go several miles offshore, and wait until he had the rising sun at his back, before trying a full speed run back towards shore. All he could hope was that anyone that did see him wouldn't be able to take photographs or video with the sun in the picture.

Adam didn't think Jay would be able to design and build his own Airfoil, with just three days before the Air Meet. However, the difference between first place and second place was twenty five thousand dollars, and it had cost him nearly that. So he wanted to do as much as he could to make sure he'd win the distance events. His time in the Iraq war zone had helped him to become a meticulous planner, and he had tried to consider every eventuality.

He snorted to himself, and thought, But, hell! I don't even know if it will work out like I imagined, yet!

Adam carefully watched both the National and Local Weather forecasts before going to bed. The only thing that would have put off his test, was a storm. Relieved that for once both forecasts agreed that it would be a beautiful, sunny, cloudless day on the morrow; he turned in early, and tried to get some sleep.

The next morning, Adam had to force himself to stay in bed. At 5AM, when his alarm clock finally went off. He jumped out of bed, and ducked in for a quick shower, before donning his Lycra full bodysuit. He took a long drink of cool water, emptied his bladder and strapped on his Gravity Belt. Then he grabbed his wings and using them to hide the package containing the Airfoil, stepped out onto the porch of his mother's house.

A quick glance both ways down the dimly lit street showed no movement at this early hour. Adam quickly threw the straps for the Airfoil over his shoulders, donned his wings, and flew down the street, trying to maintain his normal routine right up to the last minute. As he passed over the breakers at the beach, he did notice a group of several high school boys surfing above the waves further down the beach. He just hoped they didn't take note of him. He checked his watch and compass, then got down to a serious upper body workout, as he flew straight toward the spot where the sun was due to rise in thirty minutes.

Twenty-seven minutes later, he stopped pumping his arms. He drifted to a stop, hovering two hundred feet above the swells, and thirty miles offshore. He took off his wings and then shrugged out of the shoulder straps for the Airfoil gear. Carefully, not wanting to let something dangle outside of the volume of effect of his Grav Belt, Adam fastened the still rolled up Airfoil to his knees and ankles then took out his makeshift windscreen and fastened it to each wrist. Finally, he took out a portable GPS unit. He, pressed several keys, put his wings back on, and checked his watch.

Adam grabbed the ties in each hand that held the Airfoil coiled, made one last check of his compass, and waited for his wristwatch alarm to go off. He had set it to indicate the start of his planned run. Still, when the alarm went off, he was startled into immobility for a half a second. Then, he pulled forcefully with both hands to release the ties on the Airfoil. Just as he'd hoped, as the plastic uncoiled itself, it gave him enough initial thrust to get him moving. He pumped his arms furiously, and started his dolphin kick.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.