War Brothers - Cover

War Brothers

Copyright (c) 2008-2009 by BoonDock

Chapter 39: Counting the cost

When I awoke I was a little confused for a second. I sat up suddenly and looked around. D'ar'Beth just turned her head away in amusement.

I groaned as my body let me know that it was not happy with the amount of abuse I had subjected it to. It took me a few seconds to realise that not all the aches and pains were actually mine. We had bonded so closely in the Sword Dance that I hadn't let go of it completely. After a little thought and experimentation, I realised that it was no longer something that I had to do consciously, but that it would now be a natural part of how I operated. I made a mental note to explore the ramifications later ... the most immediate effect was that it seemed as if I had multiple pairs of eyes, hands and feet.

I stood up and took a step, before tripping over my own feet and falling down again. The sense of "expansion" of myself from a single individual to being part of a larger "group" would take some getting used to.

I got up again, and gingerly took a few steps. My head seemed to clear quickly and I could feel myself re-adjusting.

"[You'll get used to it quickly enough, ]" D'ar'Beth's voice echoed in my head.

I looked at her quizzically, as I realised that there was something different about her. She seemed to be more than before.

"[What's different about you?]" I asked her.

"[Nothing, ]" she replied "[the real question is what's different about you.]"

"[What do you mean? It's just the Sword Dance that seems to have lingered?]"

"[No. It's a lot more than that. You {taste} like a new hatchling.]"

"Hatchling?" I queried aloud, '"What the hell does that mean?"

"[It's not important now. You need to focus on our immediate needs. When we are safe and secure, then we can have a long talk about what has happened.]"

"[I'll hold you to that, ]" I told her, still puzzled by what she had implied. In the background to her mental words I got the sense of what looked/felt like large wings sheltering a clutch of eggs. All I could relate it to was an eagle sitting on it's nest.

I decided to follow D'ar'Beth's advice and turned to the immediate situation. Now that I had had some time to adjust, I could separate out what aches and pains were mine, and which belonged to others in the Finger. I made a quick check and realised I could pretty much disregard the various cuts and bruises on my own body. There were a few more serious wounds on some of the others though, with, I suddenly realised, a missing arm.

As I realised that, another realisation struck me. It wasn't just my Finger with me, but that of Desrae, and it was her arm that was missing.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.