Joerg Isebrand
Chapter 25: How the Maid Hildburg Saves Warnesund

©Argon, 2008

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 25: How the Maid Hildburg Saves Warnesund - In the year 1500, a boy, Joerg Isebrand, is born into a peasant family in Northern Germany. Banished from the land of his birth at age sixteen, young Joerg soon finds himself a landsknecht, a soldier for hire. The story follows the next fourteen years of his life, as he rallies his siblings and fights in the wars of the 16th century. He dallies with many women and girls, but it is an unlikely bride who finally wins his heart.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   mt/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Historical   First   Oral Sex   Violence  

Quickly, Joerg was led from the courtyard. The mayor and his schoeffen marched in front, heading for the execution ground, just outside the Western Gate, where a semi-permanent scaffold stood. The executioner was already there, his head covered by a black hood and leaning on his two-handed sword. He stood beside the wooden block, obviously ready to perform his grim duty.

In spite of their fear, a large number of citizens gathered around the scaffold as Joerg was pushed up the rickety ladder. He was pushed towards the block and forced on his knees. His hands were bound so that he embraced the block, and his head had to rest on the blood stained surface. Then, the soldiers climbed off the scaffold and the executioner stepped forward.

"There is a sword in the bundle at my feet. Go for it as soon as I cut your bindings!"

It was Thorben's whispering voice, coming from under the hood of the executioner.

"The others are ready in yonder copse," Thorben whispered. "We could bring only twenty of the Saxons, and we have to hold our own until they can fight their way to the scaffold."

Joerg breathed deeply to get over the surprise, and he let his gaze sweep over the field. The copse was perhaps three or four hundred paces away. At least twenty-five soldiers of the City guarded the scaffold. This would be hot work. He had been starved and his hands had been manacled for weeks. He did not know how much strength he would have to wield a sword.

As he knelt there, taking in the situation, there was a sudden commotion in the crowd. A young woman in a bridal dress, with flowers in her hair, pushed through the rows of spectators. When she reached the front, Joerg recognised Hildburg Lauritz. Her clear voice sounded over the assembled crowd.

"Release this man! I claim him for my wedded husband!"

A man tried to pull her back, shouting at her, but she pulled free and climbed up the ladder.

"By the laws of our City, I claim the Condemned for my husband!"

A rain of rotten fruit from the spectators answered her words. A few men shouted to chop off her head, along with Joerg's. It was with utmost difficulty that the City Guard restored order. The Mayor climbed up on the scaffold, visibly shaken.

"Quiet, quiet, you citizens! The Maid Hildburg claims the Condemned for her wedded husband. It is her right, by the laws of Warnesund. I ask her again: Hildburg Lauritz, daughter of Hilmar Lauritz, do you claim this man Joerg Isebrand, condemned murderer of your own father, mother and brother, for your husband? Are you willing indeed, to enter into Holy Matrimony with him, on this scaffold, and in this very hour?"

"Yes, I am!" Hildburg answered with defiance.

The Mayor sighed.

"God is with you, Joerg Isebrand! Bring forth the Preacher!"

Joerg exhaled deeply. His mind still whirled. Why would Hildburg Lauritz marry him, to save him from the sword? How could she forgive the suffering he had brought upon her? Should he chance a fight at Thorben's side against those of the City, or should he accept Hildburg's hand and leave the scaffold without bloodshed?

Here was the Preacher, a Lutheran vicar. Joerg's eyes fell on the young woman, so lovely of face, bravely defying the people she had grown up with. He had hurt her enough already. To start a fighting on the scaffold would mean to bring her into mortal danger. In a heartbeat, Joerg made up his mind.

"I'll play along," he whispered to Thorben. "It's better this way. At least, none of us will be killed."

"You fancy the girl, admit it!" Thorben whispered back. Even whispering and muffled by the hood, Joerg could hear that Thorben was on the verge of bursting with suppressed laughter. He shook his head. Thorben was a weird fellow, at times.

Here was the preacher. He was a nervous, gaunt man, licking his lips, and clasping his hands repeatedly. Thorben, in his guise, helped Joerg to his feet.

"I ask you, Hildburg Lauritz, daughter of Hilmar Lauritz. Do you take the Condemned, Joerg Isebrand, for your husband?"

"I do!" Hildburg blurted, blushing deeply.

"And do you, Joerg Isebrand, consent to take Hildburg Lauritz for your wife?"

This was a most undignified ceremony, Joerg found. From his siblings' weddings, he knew the proper words a groom had to speak. He stood his tallest, in spite of the manacles.

"I, Joerg Isebrand, Steward of Bellenberg, take thee, Hildburg Lauritz, for my wedded wife. I shall hold you and cherish you, protect you and honour you, for as long as we shall both live!"

"Hrhm, I herewith pronounce you man and wife. Those who God hath joined, no man shall tear asunder!"

Hastily, the preacher climbed off the scaffold. Meanwhile, the Guards took off Joerg's manacles. The Mayor was not done with them, though.

"Now that you had your will, Hildburg Isebrand, know that you can no longer live in Warnesund. You have chosen this man; you can no longer claim our protection. Leave Warnesund, and leave this very day!"

Hildburg closed her eyes for a moment, but she recovered quickly and nodded.

"I shall leave indeed, if this is your command. I want what's ours, though: the ninety and six guilders you awarded him."

The Mayor looked like he had been hit by the stroke. His face purple, he struggled for control.

"Have your guilders then!" he hissed in the end.

He turned to his scribe.

"Get the gold and be back quickly!"

While the man ran off, obviously eager to escape the situation for a moment, Hildburg pulled her new husband to the ladder. He climbed down shakily and then helped Hildburg down.

Hildburg's aunt came forward, holding two bundles, a small clothes sack and an oblong bundle.

"Oh child, what have you done?" she wailed.

"Did you bring my clothes as I asked you, Aunt?" Hildburg asked, much calmer now.

"Yes, here is what you own in this world, girl. But where can you go?"

"She won't need much, that is for sure!" somebody called from behind the City Guards.

"Yes, it'll be mighty lonely on the road, Hildburg. Nasty things can happen!"

Hildburg turned to face them.

"Know then, that I have protection." She opened the oblong bundle. "Here my husband, take your sword. I received it for compensation. Use it to protect us."

Stunned, Joerg took the sword from her hands. The Mayor opened his mouth to protest, but then he reconsidered, seeing Joerg's look. Fortunately, the scribe returned now, carrying a small pouch that he handed to the Mayor.

"Here is your gold, ninety-six guilders," he said, handing the pouch to Joerg. "Now go! May the Almighty have Mercy on your wretched souls!"

He turned to the crowd.

"Everybody, back behind the walls! Guards, close all gates, and let nobody leave until the morrow. May it never be said again that we break our word!"

He turned, obviously planning to leave the newly wed couple alone.

"What about me?" the hooded executioner demanded now. "Where is my pay?"

Joerg felt his mouth twitch at the outrageous demand. The Mayor faced the hooded figure.

"I shall compensate you for your travel. Here, have this guilder. Your fee is lost though, for there is no execution."

"'Tis not fair, Mayor," the hooded man complained, still taking the proffered coin.

Hildburg opened the pouch in Joerg's hand and took out two guilders.

"Have these, Mister Executioner, and rejoice, for you don't have to perform such grim work on this day!"

"Bravely spoken, Hildburg Isebrand," Thorben, under his hood, answered pleasantly. "I shall drive my wagon back to Lubeck. I can take you along for as far as you want."

Joerg spoke up for the first time.

"That would be helpful, and I thank thee." He turned towards the Mayor. "In a few days, my kin may lay siege to Warnesund. I can write a letter, asking them to leave in peace."

The Mayor squinted his eyes.

"Why would you do this?"

"You spoke justice this afternoon, Mayor, and my quarrel with Warnesund is over."

The Mayor thought for a moment. Obviously, he realised for the first time that the surprising turn of events also saved the City from the imminent threat of siege and destruction. He was a little red faced when he answered.

"If you feel that way, I accept. Though we do not fear your threat, we rather live in peace."

Again, the scribe was sent to bring parchment and a quill, and a while later, Joerg sat down at a makeshift table, to write a message to "My Lord Arnulf". He signed it and pressed the butt of his sword into the hot wax to seal the letter. When he handed the parchment back to the Mayor, he looked at him.

"You had better keep those hot heads locked in, tomorrow. We may escape them, but if they find us, you will never see them alive again."

The Mayor nodded.

"We'll keep the gates closed until noon tomorrow. I can do nothing more."

Joerg nodded.

"It is enough. Peace, Mayor Albrecht?"

Hesitantly, the Mayor took the proffered hand.

"Peace."

With that, he turned and marched through the gate. With a rumble, the heavy iron grid closed, and then the drawbridge was pulled up. Joerg and Hildburg were alone, while Thorben walked to his wagon, harnessing the horse. Joerg looked at the woman at his side, in her bridal gown, with flowers in her open hair.

"By God, Hildburg, but you are beautiful!" he exclaimed.

Hildburg looked back at him with doubt in her eyes.

"Do you think so?"

"Look, Hildburg, there is so much I want to ask you and tell you, but time is pressing. There is but an hour of daylight left, and we need to put distance between ourselves and the City."

Hildburg nodded.

"It is only sensible," she said. "Joerg, before we leave, you must know why I married you. It was to save my City from your kin's revenge. I also know that you married me only to save your life. If you want to leave me, do it now, please. Once you are gone, they may take me back in. They'll scorn me and ridicule me, but that is better than being left behind later in foreign lands."

"Do you wish to be left behind, Hildburg? I could understand that. I must be hateful to you, seeing what I did to you."

"I ... I ... don't want to be left behind," she answered, looking down at her feet.

"Then, Hildburg, you are my wife; I plighted my troth to you. I shall bring you to my home, and I shall care for you and honour you for as long as I live."

Hildburg looked up at him.

"There is another reason I claimed you. I told you, you left me a penniless orphan, a maidservant to my uncle. I saved your life today, Joerg Isebrand. In return, I ask for a proper living, at your side."

Gently, Joerg touched her face.

"Sweet, gentle Hildburg! I told you, I shall care for you and honour you."

Hildburg nodded, and he thought he saw a blush creep into her cheeks.

"Where can we sleep tonight?" she asked, looking around with trepidation.

"Hildburg, we better not sleep at all. It's a clear night, and the moon will be full. We can make at least twenty leagues until the morrow. Are you as hungry as I am?"

"I had my last meal at noon. We shan't find anything to eat, tonight."

Thorben approached them now, leading the horse by the headgear.

"I have food on the wagon. You won't go hungry, Sister."

Hildburg stared at the executioner who had pulled the black hood from his head.

"Hildburg, my wife, meet my brother Thorben," Joerg sighed.

Hildburg looked at Thorben, her eyes wide open. But then, understanding came over her and she looked at Joerg accusingly.

"What is this mockery? You had your escape planned already. Why did you have to fool me? I wanted to save the city of my birth from your kin's wrath, and now it was all a sham?"

It was Thorben who answered.

"You saved many lives today, Sister Hildburg. Without you, there would have been fierce fighting. We have only twenty men with us, against two score of the City. Surely many of them would have died, but also many of ours, too. I may owe you my life, or that of my siblings, and for that, I am grateful."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.